• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

tnt1234

Wonder how long the storm lasts into Sunday. If everything goes right, I'll be driving to NJ from the cats sunday night.

drjeff

Going to start have to factoring in wind exposure for sure by the looks of it for Sunday! Gusts in the 50-80mph range above 3500 feet aren't out of the question Sunday afternoon into Monday as the Arctic air freight trains in on the back side of this storm :-o:-o

tnt1234

Going to start have to factoring in wind exposure for sure by the looks of it for Sunday! Gusts in the 50-80mph range above 3500 feet aren't out of the question Sunday afternoon into Monday as the Arctic air freight trains in on the back side of this storm :-o:-o

Holy crap - really?

That's some serious wind....

Killingtime

GregoryIsaacs

BenedictGomez

The more I analyze this storm, the more it seems absolutely horrible from a powder-hunting perspective. Especially for those pondering the risk/reward of very long travel given the low single digit ambient temps (plus with a breeze) all weekend.

So then I thought, okay, maybe I'll bag my plans for n.VT and just get a motel in the Cats Saturday night and ski Platty Sunday since they should pick up a foot or more with less wind and better temp. The problem with that idea is that after raining & icing much of Saturday night into the day on Sunday here in Jersey, temps look to plummet to low-20s by 1pm. What a fun drive home from Platty that would be.

I'll be monitoring every model run from now through tomorrow afternoon for changes, but as of right now (and I HATE to say this)....

WGjpg.jpg

Glenn

NWS Albany has some interesting stats on potential precip totals for the Albany area: 1.6 to 2.0" Still waiting on the mid day update to the forecast discussion.

drjeff

The more I analyze this storm, the more it seems absolutely horrible from a powder-hunting perspective. Especially for those pondering the risk/reward of very long travel given the low single digit ambient temps (plus with a breeze) all weekend.

So then I thought, okay, maybe I'll bag my plans for n.VT and just get a motel in the Cats Saturday night and ski Platty Sunday since they should pick up a foot or more with less wind and better temp. The problem with that idea is that after raining & icing much of Saturday night into the day on Sunday here in Jersey, temps look to plummet to low-20s by 1pm. What a fun drive home from Platty that would be.

I'll be monitoring every model run from now through tomorrow afternoon for changes, but as of right now (and I HATE to say this)....

View attachment 24450

Exactly, there sure looks like a quick, distinct transition zone (say maybe 50 miles or so wide North to South) from where it will stay all snow to the North and go through a sleet zone into a freezing rain zone and then a rain zone after an initial few inches of snow with a flash freeze rolling in sometime Sunday afternoon for the areas not staying all snow/frozen stuff. Not a great travel situation if you live in the areas where some liquid stuff goes through the flash freeze later on Sunday.....

I'm hoping my house in CT stays in the sleet zone and not into the rain zone (it looks like it's going to be close right now) or else when I get home from VT Monday evening, I may not be able to find the asphalt of my driveway until the multi-day run of above freezing temps!! :eek:

TheArchitect

I booked a room for Saturday night to Monday morning and plan to ski at Burke. Hoping for a lot of snow but even 6-12 would make me happy. Is it looking like no. VT isn't going to get even that?

My hope is that the winds don't cause problems with the lifts. I have no issues with the low temps.