• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

tumbler

I'm with Drjeff. Add in some frigid temps and wind and i think the bigger problem will be keeping warm. Only die hards will be skiing, although the mountain lodges and parking lots will be packed. Pro tip-wear your bat thermal underwear-and allow your package to warm up in the lodge for a while before attempting to pee-----shrinkage factor.

I was in the pool!!

tnt1234

anecdotal evidence of course, but pretty much everyone I have talked to is going skiing this weekend.

It's going to be jammed. I expect sunday AM to see cars in ditches everywhere.

Looks like my outing is falling apart, so there might be one less car in the ditches.

mattskis

Can anyone comment on how the drive up to Mt. Snow from Bratt might be on rt 9 Sunday AM. I've got snow tires but no AWD. Thanks!

skiur

Can anyone comment on how the drive up to Mt. Snow from Bratt might be on rt 9 Sunday AM. I've got snow tires but no AWD. Thanks!

Going up 9 towards hogback Mt should be a lot of fun!......good luck

slatham

Sunday morning it looks to be puking snow, and having done so since probably midnight. 8am could see a foot on the ground already and dumping. Driver beware......

BenedictGomez

anecdotal evidence of course, but pretty much everyone I have talked to is going skiing this weekend.

It's going to be jammed. I expect sunday AM to see cars in ditches everywhere.

Everyone you talked to is going to a ski resort this weekend, but my guess is only 50% to 2/3 of them at most will actually be skiing!

I wish there was a webcam by Jay Peak to count the 2WD sedans stuck on the side of the road Sunday!

Looks like my outing is falling apart, so there might be one less car in the ditches.

I pulled the plug on n.VT too.

Too many risk factors from the probabilistic model swimming in my head to risk a 14 hour RT drive.

You've got negative to single digit ambient temperatures, the heaviest snow falling during the drive to the mountain timeframe Sunday, a holiday weekend, and no real idea what the wind issue may or may not be, etc....

drjeff

Best bet is to wait at the Cumberland Farms and/or Dunkin Donuts on 9 in West Brattleboro until you see a VT Trans plow heading up the hill on 9, and then follow it up the hill.

When a storm is really hitting hard they usually send a truck up 9 every 30 minutes or so. I've used that strategy, even with my AWD SUV and snow tires, a few times over the years to safely get me out of Bratt up and over to Wilmington and the Mount Snow area.

The reality is getting to Mount Snow from pretty much any direction, involves having to negotiate roads that travel up and over and through at least one pass, if not multiple passes

hespeler

Anyone care to venture a guess on how the driving will be Monday afternoon?

I'll be coming up from Long Island to ski Tues/Wed. Hopefully the roads will be salted/sanded by then.

Glenn

Anyone care to venture a guess on how the driving will be Monday afternoon?

I'll be coming up from Long Island to ski Tues/Wed. Hopefully the roads will be salted/sanded by then.

Right now, Monday looks partly Sunny and cold. They should have the roads pretty clear by Monday AM if things dial back overnight Sunday. Looks like the snow will wind down Sunday late afternoon/early evening.

GregoryIsaacs

Right now, Monday looks partly Sunny and cold. They should have the roads pretty clear by Monday AM if things dial back overnight Sunday. Looks like the snow will wind down Sunday late afternoon/early evening.

Can you think of a better setup for us working stiffs! These are the memories that get me through the summer.....

hespeler

As was mentioned earlier, K is booking up fast for mid-week next week. Couldn't get anything on the Access Rd. Had to book in Rutland.

hespeler

Can you think of a better setup for us working stiffs! These are the memories that get me through the summer.....

I'm a working stiff too. Just a bit more flexible in when I can take leave. My wife is holding down the fort at home with the kids.

abc

Best case scenario:
-- drive up Saturday leisurely while the holiday crowd attacks the hardpack
-- Sunday morning, dig out the car from under 2 ft of snow (storm over-perform than forecast overnigt but under-performs Sunday, so the roads are in decent shape)
-- Wind is tolerable so all lifts are running. Temperature on Monday a bit warmer than forecast. Smiling ear to ear for hitting the jackpot on the gamble

Worst Case scenario:
-- Spend 2 hours digging car out from underneath snow and slush, double drive time from lodging to mountain.
-- Only to find all upper mountain lifts on wind hold
-- Too cold to stay out for more than 2 runs
-- Come home to find no power due to ice on power line.

I'll decide tomorrow morning. But leaning heavily on NOT going

skifree

Best case scenario:
-- Sunday morning, dig out the car from under 2 ft of snow (storm over-perform than forecast overnigt but under-performs Sunday, so the roads are in decent shape)
-- Wind is tolerable so all lifts are running. Temperature on Monday a bit warmer than forecast. Smiling ear to ear for hitting the jackpot on the gamble

Worst Case scenario:
-- Spend 2 hours digging car out from underneath snow and slush, double drive time from lodging to mountain.

agree 100%
I will be up north till Monday night. hope I don't come home to ice wall in front of driveway and no power at CT house.
But can't pass on this. take my chances.

MEtoVTSkier

Best case scenario:

Worst Case scenario:

I wouldn't count on waking up to 2ft, looks more like the majority will fall ON Sunday...

mfi

Too me, if you do things like this on a regular basis..AWD or 4WD is mandatory..and snow tires. Subaru outbacks last forever.

drjeff

agree 100%
I will be up north till Monday night. hope I don't come home to ice wall in front of driveway and no power at CT house.
But can't pass on this. take my chances.
I grabbed an extra 100lbs of rock salt ony way home from work this afternoon and placed it next to my snowblower in my garage in CT just in case I need to deal with an immoveable ice wall at the end of my driveway when I get home Monday afternoon!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Ol Dirty Noodle

I’m leaving Monday around 4am from Long Island and heading to smuggs for 5 days, I’ve got AWD,snow tires and it’s a 6spd, I’m not worried