• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

tnt1234

Yeah, my buddy on the way to stowe this PM - he's staying till monday or tuesday - knows my plans to ski sunday and drive home from teh cats. Said signs on the thru way asking people not to drive saturday evening through sunday evening.

Not very encouraging.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Heard lots of chatter about this storm on my Northern VT trip this past midweek. Everyone is hyped. Sunday is going to be an amazing day. Monday...ehhh...sure gonna be a lot of tourists in the lodge warming up. Get it if you can but it's a ZERO exposed skin day for sure. I don't think crowds will be horrific outside the lodge/bars/parking lots.

I can't get out till Wednesday, which could be a wild ski day. Could be snow, could be rain. Either way the base will be DEEP. I'm planning on skiing whoever is the jackpot, probably Stratton or Killington.

And a shoutout to poor Yawgoo Valley which has had a very tough season. Gonna get pelted with ice and then be washed out AGAIN with this storm.

tnt1234

Yeah, we're bailing. As much for personal stuff as concern for the drive. But we're dunzo. Eyeing up next weekend.

tumbler

You guys are skiers!! Not going because there is too much snow and too many people??
Get ahold of yourself! (BG- insert scene from airplane)

ghughes20

At Stratton now, drove up last night from NJ. Lots of traffic, accident on the Thruway and cars backed up on rt 7 in Hoosic. A lot of people were headed up for the weekend. I'm here until Monday, which is good because driving anywhere on Sunday is likely to be a challenge. Speaking of Monday, the mountain is calling for a high temp of -11 on Monday. Yikes.

Glenn

NWS is pretty consistent with their totals this morning. Looking like a nice event.

BenedictGomez

warm line moving north

That's an understatement.

If reality moves any more north than depicted there's going to be a lot of disappointed (and shocked) skiers in the northeast.

Especially if they'er naive enough to get their information from TWC.

cdskier

That's an understatement.

If reality moves any more north than depicted there's going to be a lot of disappointed (and shocked) skiers in the northeast.

Especially if they'er naive enough to get their information from TWC.

The hype (and expectations) are beyond ridiculous. I've seen people saying this is going to be "the storm of the century for skiers in the northeast".

BenedictGomez

How far North now? Not to late to switch from Platty to VT. or Gore for me.

You'd need to know which model is going to be correct. lol

This is the NAM's window, and per the NAM Gore or WF or n.VT would stay all snow, Cats and s.VT would have sleet issues.

The GFS is bad for the Cats but it's close, s.VT stays fine on that model, but again, close to being bad. Gore is fine.

Canadian is very similar to the GFS, but not quite as bad.

It it was me and I didnt care where I was skiing, I'd choose Gore, it stays clean on GFS/Canuck and probably okay on NAM too, 12 to 16 inches on all models and the lowest risk of something bad happening. And the 12 to 16 depicted will likely be higher due to actual temps and being on the good side of the warming line. Wouldnt shock me if places above the danger see something like 20 inches.

gregnye

The hype (and expectations) are beyond ridiculous. I've seen people saying this is going to be "the storm of the century for skiers in the northeast".

Yeah the hype is insane. And let's see how the forecasts actually play out. I mean the National Weather Service is partially shutdown so I am cautious how accurate the forecasting is.

I think one of the things driving the hype is that we haven't had a snowstorm fall on a holiday weekend in many, many years. In fact last year we rarely had even a weekend with a snowstorm. Luckily I get weekdays off/have a more flexible schedule but for those who only can ski on weekends, it's been depressing.

BenedictGomez

TWC was showing graphics yesterday with 3 feet of snow "predicted" in places that no model depicted more than 20 inches. They're a disgrace.