• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

cdskier

TWC was showing graphics yesterday with 3 feet of snow "predicted" in places that no model depicted more than 20 inches. They're a disgrace.

They appear to care more about ratings and entertainment now than actual factual based weather forecasting...

abc

I’m “glad” my pass is blackout. ;)

My thought has always been, if the forecast is fantastic, I’ll find an out-of-way place to avoid the crowd, (and typically more acceptable window price too) to ski.

The bar for “fantastic” condition is to justified the window price and lodging/gas. Ice and negative temperature, or high potential for wind hold doesn’t help the justification.

This weekend’s forecast doesn’t qualify. I’m staying home to take care of long neglected chores.

BenedictGomez

Yeah the hype is insane. And let's see how the forecasts actually play out.

The Euro is the hope for ski country. It's the only model staying colder and more SE, which would bring the goods to all of ski country. Let's all hope for the sake of everyone skiing this holiday weekend it's going to be the winner. Fingers crossed

Glenn

I'm looking at only NWS data on this one. Looks like it's warming a bit for the flatlands(where I am in CT). Some mixing now for SoVT, but they didn't dial back the snow predictions much. And still looks good for the Southern Greens.

I'm sure the grocery stores were insane today.

BenedictGomez

I'm looking at only NWS data on this one. Looks like it's warming a bit for the flatlands(where I am in CT). Some mixing now for SoVT, but they didn't dial back the snow predictions much. And still looks good for the Southern Greens.

Yeah, right now it looks like the crappy mix-effects are going to die somewhere in Massachusetts. Hopefully that's the case.

Cornhead

My local forecast has changed to less snow and some mixed precipitation, Binghamton, NY, but my local hill, Greek Peak, is still calling for 12-20" through tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, foot and a half is perfect for the pitch of Greek.

Stoked to finally be skiing powder. Even the lake effect this year has been nill. I can almost always get my pow fix up North with LES in lean years. Not this year. Snowmobilers must've been bumming. At least they make "snow" for us.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

You'd need to know which model is going to be correct. lol

This is the NAM's window, and per the NAM Gore or WF or n.VT would stay all snow, Cats and s.VT would have sleet issues.

The GFS is bad for the Cats but it's close, s.VT stays fine on that model, but again, close to being bad. Gore is fine.

Canadian is very similar to the GFS, but not quite as bad.

It it was me and I didnt care where I was skiing, I'd choose Gore, it stays clean on GFS/Canuck and probably okay on NAM too, 12 to 16 inches on all models and the lowest risk of something bad happening. And the 12 to 16 depicted will likely be higher due to actual temps and being on the good side of the warming line. Wouldnt shock me if places above the danger see something like 20 inches.
Just be advised. Gore was VERY icy/hard packed today. Was still decent, but not skiing as good as say Killington or north in VT would be right now. If they get the 16"-20"+ advertised should be amazing, but if not....

Not many glades open today, BUT great base in the woods. As long as they get at least 12" out of this everything *should* all open up. Just pray the lifties show up and stuff opens on time. Gore has been having staffing and lift issues this season (mainly the gondola). Traditionally after a big storm there they can take a long time to open stuff up, but with it being a holiday weekend may not be the case this time.

In any case. I will be gunning for first chair tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Mount Snow, after the machine groomed stuff got skied off in the 10-11AM time frame, got slick today... Fresh corduroy on Ripcord just after 8, was AWESOME!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So far upper-level cold is staying put longer than expected. I'd say SoVt is almost a lock to be all-snow at this point. They were going to be pretty safe unless the warm air was coming in faster than modeled, but the opposite actually looks to be the case.

Still a very uncertain 12 hour period remains for the Catskills and Berkshires.

drjeff

Going to go shovel what looks to be about a foot, and counting, right now (6AM) at Mount Snow - no mixing yet, 15 degrees on the back deck thermometer

Warm air punched to the Cats, about 10" and sleet\ rain now. Looks cold all around us....

Glenn

Here in the southern part of central CT it's been freezing rain for some time. Looks really pretty...but I'm nervous about the wind later. We had about 3" of snow before it changed over.

Based on the webcams at our place in SoVT...10-12" of snow? I really need to upgrade those for better detailed viewing in situations like these :lol:

Stratton is talking possible lift delays with the wind; Mount Snow has some lifts on windhold now.

Looks like some mixing may occur into SoVT and the Greens. Hoping it won't last long...or not happen at all.

machski

Going to go shovel what looks to be about a foot, and counting, right now (6AM) at Mount Snow - no mixing yet, 15 degrees on the back deck thermometer

The thermometer at low elevation means nothing today. In So.NH, it's 14 at my house and heavy sleet!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Plattekill and Belleayre reporting a little mixed precipitation right now, but both claim around 12+" and are 100% open.

Bummed to have bailed, but life got in the way....hope you guys have great days out there.