• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speculation about MLK weekend storm....

Glenn

Sounds like this really delivered! Will certainly be a cold one today. Stay warm! It's -2 in the flatlands now. Can't tell you what the windchill is because the wind cups are frozen on my weather station.

Thursday isn't looking so hot. Can't we just get some snow that lasts please?

Ol Dirty Noodle

I’m on the thruway now, windy as fuck and GPS is saying I have to take the ferry at Plattsburgh[emoji848]

tnt1234

%$%$^%$^!!!!!! Rain in teh forecast for weds/thurs??? Come on! Can't we leave all this snow alone for a G_D week????

tnt1234

Head north..all snow predicted up there..

I'm seeing rain even for stowe.

Anyway, can only ski saturday, so hoping to drive friday night after work, ski, drive home. s. vt would be about as far as i want to go.

machski

I'm seeing rain even for stowe.

Anyway, can only ski saturday, so hoping to drive friday night after work, ski, drive home. s. vt would be about as far as i want to go.
The reality is while this storm delivered for ski country North, the forecast was way off to the South. Up to a good 24 hours prior, the mix/icing zone in New England at least was suppose to be narrow. Well, that didn't happen and the icing zone was huge. Thankfully a lot of that zone stayed totally sleet which is not as bad from a power outage issue.

So, with that said, I wouldn't get too stuck on the upcoming Wednesday/Thursday thing. At the least, ski country starts as a good amount of snow if it does mix/change. But history shows big, vigorous storms like this weekend's are often the result of an active and changeable jet stream. With the East's relatively low altitudes, that means get it when it hits.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

I still see ice hanging on tree limbs here in mid-Hudson valley (Westchester/Putnam border).

Fortunately the tree limbs are staying on the trees (so far, it's windy as well so it just takes one to break away).

RustyGroomer

Magic was awesome today!! 17 inches and no lifts were on wind hold! It was crowded in line at the bottom, but the runs were not crowded (double chairs are the limiting factor). I was finding untracked snow even at 4pm!

Both the red chair and the green lift worked hard today. With an entirely full set of chairs the chair is surprisingly close to the ground!

50275167_10218684339843307_295083902710579200_n.jpg

Zand

At sugarbush now...just valley house spinning as far as interesting terrain goes. More than enough for the few runs I'm skiing. Good news is I'm going to MRG tomorrow and they didn't even open today so...freshies!

Smellytele

Cannon was fun today. Peabody and cannonball didn’t run but mittersill,zoomer and the tram ran so all could be skied. Light snow all day after getting 14-18” yesterday / last night.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

I took a look at the Stratton summit weather station around 4:30 today....-53F windchill. Yikes.

Still tons of ice in the flatlands.

jg17

In NW Jersey about 10 minutes from Mountain Creek we got about 4" of snow followed by freezing rain. It never really warmed up like they were predicting so there was no regular rain. Currently 10 degrees and dropping so good snowmaking weather tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AlpineZone mobile app

I don't believe they've been blowing though, maybe because of the wind. Heard yesterday was an absolute disaster. Started the day with Cab/South/Bear/Granite on hold. South finally opened around 1:30, but by then everything had frozen solid and it was just frozen corduroy. Granite and Bear stayed closed all day, and I heard most of what was open was a skating rink. Glad I skipped.