• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

There goes the neighborhood

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's a good thing so few people read ski magazine anymore.

What an Ahole. Publishing directions to the bowls. Not that they are some big secret, but still....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

I liked that article and learned some stuff about Smuggs. Thanks for sharing. Joe Cutts has been a good ski writer for a long time. He's a premier ski tester too and native Vermonter. Sounds like Smuggs is going to stay independent for a while longer?

Here's a good, recent story on the impact WWII veterans of the Army's 10th Mtn Div had on the US Ski Industry: http://time.com/5503723/history-skiing-ski-resorts-nazi-soldiers/

BenedictGomez

What an Ahole. Publishing directions to the bowls. Not that they are some big secret, but still....

You'd be surprised. Locals & Smuggs regulars all know, but I'd say the vast majority of tourists have no idea they're there. And it's a good thing too, because that's really not an area you want new tree skiers or people with no business going there wandering into.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I thought the article was good overall, but I, too, was surprised that he was as explicit as he was in describing the off-map stuff. I also thought that the title was a real tease considering that at the very end you learn that the owner, though 81 or so, doesn't plan on selling but instead giving it to the kids.