• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak MLK weekend?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Wow. I don't think they use seasonal visa workers, and keep in mind Jiminy Peak is essentially a full resort with a LOT more staff than Catamount, B-East, Butternut, etc.

Everyone is understaffed and short-handed. Everyone. 3 factors...ski areas still pay minimum wage or a dime above...low season pass prices...crazy low unemployement rate. It's going to start affecting your ski experience if the trend continues.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow. I don't think they use seasonal visa workers, and keep in mind Jiminy Peak is essentially a full resort with a LOT more staff than Catamount, B-East, Butternut, etc.

Everyone is understaffed and short-handed. Everyone. 3 factors...ski areas still pay minimum wage or a dime above...low season pass prices...crazy low unemployement rate. It's going to start affecting your ski experience if the trend continues.
I'll add cost of living in resort areas. The only way resorts will sustainably make it work is by adding employee housing and importing seasonal labor.

It was bad when I worked in the industry 1995-2003. It is much, much worse today. Young people who grew up in these areas are moving away to places with better opportunities. Resort towns are becoming more and more retirement communities or those who can work their profession remotely.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Does anyone know if the employees of John Harvard's are employees of Jiminy or if they're employed directly by John Harvard's, which is a chain that has 5 restaurants total per their website. The one at Jiminy, one in both Cambridge and Framingham, MA, one in Providence and then 1 at the Holiday Valley ski area in NY.

While this isn't a good PR thing, this tidbit could make a big distinction and cast some false negative PR at Jiminy

mbedle

Does anyone know if the employees of John Harvard's are employees of Jiminy or if they're employed directly by John Harvard's, which is a chain that has 5 restaurants total per their website. The one at Jiminy, one in both Cambridge and Framingham, MA, one in Providence and then 1 at the Holiday Valley ski area in NY.

While this isn't a good PR thing, this tidbit could make a big distinction and cast some false negative PR at Jiminy

The article makes it sound like they are NOT employee's of JP, but work for the concessionaire.

drjeff

The article makes it sound like they are NOT employee's of JP, but work for the concessionaire.

That's how I read it, which then makes this apparently more of a John Harvard's issue than a Jiminy Peak issue, where Jiminy ends up appearing "guilty" by proximity rather than by their own company policies

BenedictGomez

Honestly, other than the, "not even a pillow or a blanket" bit, I have no issue with that posting, which I strongly assume is a thing due to past abuse.

The, "not even a pillow or a blanket" part, however, is just wanton & excessive DB'ishness.

Domeskier

I'm withholding judgment until I have more facts, but from what I know about skis bums and college students, I'm sure they would never think to use a snow storm and a government-declared state of emergency as an excuse to miss a fulfilling, highly lucrative day of work.

benski

I'm withholding judgment until I have more facts, but from what I know about skis bums and college students, I'm sure they would never think to use a snow storm and a government-declared state of emergency as an excuse to miss a fulfilling, highly lucrative day of work.

Yeah, agree but asking for names of people who were nervous about driving and those nearby who were willing to lend a couch, would not be very hard. You could do it in a google doc, so people can add themselves to one of the lists.

Hawkshot99

I worked in management at Jiminy Peak for 6 yrs. I managed the ski shop there which is a outside vendor.
John Harvards is not part of Jiminy Peak. It is part of Center Plate which is a outside vendor located on property at Jiminy.
When bad weather hits the mtn they DO offer free sleeping accommodations. 2 conference rooms are converted over. Cots were set up in these rooms. I never personally stayed as I lived just a few miles away, but it was still offered even though I did not technically work for the mtn.
When state of emergency was declared, the mtn usually did close down as employees could not get there.(I remember being pretty pissed when this happened personally)

When somebody takes a job at a ski resort, getting there on a snowy day is expected. How would you all feel if you arrived at the mtn on a powder day and they didnt open because everyone decided to call in sick?

Jiminy has a rfid lift ticket system set up. I was always amazed at how many people would call in sick, or say they couldn't make it because of weather, but then the lift ticket readers would record their passes being used. Fired....

I no longer work at Jiminy, but never had any issues with treatment or anything else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app