• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs 1/21-1/26

Ol Dirty Noodle

Day 1 got there around 12:30, on the slopes by 2, completely flat and sticky, -35 with windchill Madonna and sterling on hold, got stuck x-countrying down midway [emoji2959], tomorrow I’m on doubles blacks only, need the pitch to combat this slow sticky

Ol Dirty Noodle

Day 2 - woke up at 5:30am puking my brains out, cold sweats etc. did so til around 10am managed to sleep til 12 got up still feeling like shit but I jumped in the shower stretched out and got suited and booted.

Hit Morse around 1, lifts were ski on trails were empty, it was still -7* today so that kept a lot of people off the slopes. Had to stay with the Mrs. to show her the easy way down Midway to Sam’s run to Lower Liftline.

After that I hit the upper lift line on my own. I got out there late so it was skied off but it was still a lot of fun, still plenty of bumps and it was fast where the bumps flattened out.

Feeling better idk if it was a 24hr bug or something I ate/ drank last night. No pics today but tomorrow I’ll be wearing the GoPro, hoping to hit Madonna early temps are supposed to get up to 37 tomorrow so no cold hold worries.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Day 3 - Amazing conditions on all 3 mountains today, snowed til about 3. Me and the wife met up with my friend from college and his family around 9 at the Morse village lift skied midway which was slick enough to carry us down to the Madonna 1 lift without stopping which was a nice change of pace.

We took the Madonna 1 lift up to the summit and the 5 of us headed down Chillcoot. The snow was still fresh, nice and fluffy with natural filling in tracks at a pretty decent rate. I split off with my friend down a nice bumpy run that didn’t have a name and rejoined the group on the lower lift line.

From there we headed up to Sterling summit and went to the pond and then headed down rumrunner to some amazing glades with my friend while his dad and my wife headed down one of the blue cruisers. The glade we hit was steep, deep and narrow I’ve been dying to get into glade skiing and this was the perfect start. Powder was shin to knee deep and fluffy, I somehow managed to float pretty well even on my Rossi Ti Pursuits. Definitely run of the day.

We grabbed a quick bite in the bar and headed back out for a few more runs on Madonna before skiing the cutback to Morse. At that point my wife headed in and I took another run down snowsnake before heading in. GoPro apparently wasn’t charged and died 3 minutes into the first run... fail

Last edited:

Ol Dirty Noodle

Day 4 - Rained all day, we had to go to an ownership meeting at 12 and we planned to get out after that as the rain was supposed to change to snow around 1 and the meeting was only supposed to be about 2 hours but it ran late and it didn’t change over til recently. So no skiing today [emoji17]

Last edited:

Ol Dirty Noodle

Just got home an hour ago so the rest of the trip went as follows

Day 5- unbelievable recovery from the rain! Changed over to snow around 5pm and started dumping. Turns out it wasn’t raining at the sterling or Madonna summit Thursday either so they were in prime condition Friday morning. Skied the link to Madonna and hopped on Madonna 1 took Chilcoot down to Father Bob’s glades rejoined the group when I popped out on mulchahey’s link connected back to lower chilcoot and then down to the base. From there we went up Sterling and my wife and friend’s sister went down rum runner while we hit hang man’s dropp and the chute. None of the trails we skied were groomed, massive bumps and fresh powder swirling around everywhere. I was making fresh tracks even 2 hours into the day.
My wife went to lunch early and my friend left for his owner’s meeting so I decided to take a few more runs down sterling without the wife. I skied the glades mostly while charging as fast possible down the “groomers” between.
Had lunch at the bar and headed out again up Madonna, the Mrs. lasted another 2 runs and hit the bar. I had my fastest runs of the day carving my way around the longest possible connection of trails on Madonna, by that time it had cooled considerably and the trails were firm and fast.
Met the wife back in the bar and hung with a local OG, we all happened to win the raffle too! OG Steve won a flannel blanket from the Vermont Flannel co., I won a ladies point FM shirt and a Paul McCartney CD ( I don’t have a single CD player [emoji1787]) and my wife won a very expensive ham which we gave to OG Steve.
So now at 5 o’clock the lifts have stopped an hour ago and the last shuttle is leaving for the village, I sent my wife to catch it and told her I’d ski back. For those who know smuggs that means taking meadowlark. For those who don’t meadowlark is an incredibly flat green trail that connects the base of Madonna back to the Morse village where all housing is. Now this can be managed if one comes in with considerable speed from a Madonna trail. With that and 8 beers in my mind I decided it best to start hiking up Madonna in the dark.

Every time I was about to clip in I’d look up and think [emoji848] well I could go up just a little further and so I would. It was now 5:30 and I was met by ski patrol on snowmobiled who asked what I was doing I explained I was gonna ski meadowlark and was just trying to get high enough to get my speed. He pointed out that I was about 500 yards from the base too which I said “fuck me look at that!” He then asked if I wanted a ride back to Morse, I looked at him like he was crazy and said nah fam I’m good thanks. To my surprise he said ok and waved the other to patrollers on and they left.

So this ended up being run of the day, total dark, all alone, good buzz and decided to cross something off the bucket list most here won’t approve, clipped in, sparked a spliff and took off in a full tuck down Madonna bearing towards meadowlark looking like Rudolph. Made it all the way down to the village without having to pole or skate once.