• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper Mountain - 1/21/19 MLK Day

speden

Hitting Denver for a couple of days to meet up with my brother. Had a heck of a time getting here on Sunday due to the storm. There was freezing rain at Logan airport when I was set to leave, so my flight got delayed for four hours while not knowing if the flight would be cancelled completely. Fight was okay, but they didn't serve a meal, so had pretzels for dinner. So I was tired and hungry when I arrived, but finally made it.

Day 1 (yesterday) we hit Copper. Conditions we above average by eastern standards, but disappointing for out here. It was mostly packed powder, a little crusty, and no soft snow to be found anywhere. I guess they got a decent dump a few days ago, but the snow gets used up quick at Copper. There was a ton of cold, hard wind up top, so all the bowl skiing looked windblown and crappy. My brother is a low intermediate, so he likes to stick to the groomers. It wasn't a bad idea since the ungroomed trails were choppy and hard work. The groomers at least were fun, so I spent the day just bombing those. I did one glade run (17 glade), but it was pretty much used up and I felt like I was going to break my neck getting down it.

One funny thing is they just opened the American Flyer lift here, and it's the exact same lift as Killington installed on snowden, so it has exactly the same problems. We only rode it twice, but it stopped four times each ride, and whenever it stops, the cars bounce up and down trying to make you seasick. Then it has those awful high back seats that feel like they are trying to make you fall off the lift. I really don't like bubble lifts as they are currently implemented. The new chondola American Eagle lift they put in this year is vastly better, and it didn't stop even once on us.

Crowds were pretty light considering it was a holiday, so no long waits for any lifts. Here are a few pics:

copper1.jpg

copper2.jpg

copper3.jpg

copper4.jpg