• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend speculation thread 1/25-27

tnt1234

The Stowe report shows big storm moving in tuesday wednesday with over a foot!!!
Thought?

Dear god, let it happen.

Next saturday is kind of do or die for me and my youngest daughter, at least for a few weeks. We missed the big storm, and bumped this weekend because of the rain. Really need to get back out there.

My season started out strong, and now has been sucking wind.

But I will not be obsessing on the weather for next week until monday.

tnt1234

Sugarbush is still basically 100% open today...not sure how the ungroomed natural isn't totally frozen solid but it's open.

Stowe is like 90% open, and Jay is 100%.

how can this be?

MommaBear

Text from my kid arriving at Smuggs around noon today - Its snowing pretty heavily right now!

rocks860

Looks like we probably won’t be skiing until Monday so I’ll probably do Monday Tuesday Wednesday then Thursday or Friday at sugarbush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benski

It looks like Cornhead has the right idea. Snow Ridge will get nailed by lake effect and the rest will get nothing. I regret committing to driving students to Greek Peek tomorrow.

Zand

Stowe is like 90% open, and Jay is 100%.

how can this be?

I'm sure Jay got quite a bit like usual but yeah...can't imagine those natural trails at Stowe or Bush were much fun but maybe they got enough on the backside.

Cornhead

It looks like Cornhead has the right idea. Snow Ridge will get nailed by lake effect and the rest will get nothing. I regret committing to driving students to Greek Peek tomorrow.
Might see you at Greek Ben, the snow is north of Snow Ridge, Watertown is getting hammered. Bummer, finally some LES and it doesn't hit Snow Ridge.Screenshot_20190125-202443.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

I guess the same band that's missing my little hill has been pointed right at Stowe and Smuggs. Those of you skiing there today, enjoy your mini powder day courtesy of Lake Ontario.Screenshot_20190126-034801_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Should be decent crowds, lots of vehicles heading up on 91 north last night.

Actually still a decent amount of snow just north of Bratt. I thought the rain would have melted more.

tnt1234

wow - MRG 100% open. I'm really curious about conditions up there.

drjeff

STRONG recovery effort by Mount Snow! Fresh, dry, chalky man-made all over Ripcord was a SWEET surprise, and worthy of 5 "re-do's" by my group I ski with!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

good skiing and crowds ant Hunter. Making snow at many locations. Purna coming soon I hear.

Glenn

Didn't ski today...took the old snowmobiles out in the woods. Very surprised how light the snow was under the ice on top. And still a decent amount out there. Sure things are much better in the mountains. Pretty impressive considering we had almost 2" of rain at our place in SoVT.

skiur

STRONG recovery effort by Mount Snow! Fresh, dry, chalky man-made all over Ripcord was a SWEET surprise, and worthy of 5 "re-do's" by my group I ski with!!

Skied Mt snow yesterday, how come the snow they were blowing was yellow? Didn't taste good either, I know that you shouldn't eat the yellow snow but it's hard not to when the gun is blowing towards you.

drjeff

Skied Mt snow yesterday, how come the snow they were blowing was yellow? Didn't taste good either, I know that you shouldn't eat the yellow snow but it's hard not to when the gun is blowing towards you.
The 2 most likely reasons for the yellowish snow, are #1 sediment in the water from all the rain on Thursday or #2 - some internal oxidation residue from the Snowmaking pipe getting picked up in the water flowing through them