• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend speculation thread 1/25-27

drjeff

I'm skiing Mount Snow on Saturday and then am taking my daughter to a race at Wachusett on Sunday. With the recovery abilities of both of those mountains, I know that I'll be getting some soft machine made packed powder turns under the guns this weekend.

I'll just be savoring the memories of the soft snow of last weekend's storm until the next storm cycle rolls in... Such is the typical life of a New England skier....

Glenn

Hoping to get out on the hill Sunday. Thinking by then, things will be OK. Surely icy.

Something may be brewing for early next week...way to early to tell. This time of year, you end up wishing the weeks away...looking ahead to the next potential snow.

tnt1234

Mountain Forecast - the least dependable weather site IMO - has Stowe getting 7" after the rain....but then temps plummet.

Weekend seems hopeless.

machski

At Killington today, driving in Route 4 was 17F, KBL was 28F. Misting all afternoon, freezing at summit but just must elsewhere. Temps in mid/upper 30's wit a crazy strong SW wind. Snow was great early, even found wind drift pow in on map glades untouched. Snow getting a bit moist now at least down low, high up still nice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

No liking the high temps tomorrow for SoVT and the Southern Greens. eek.

slatham

Mountain Forecast - the least dependable weather site IMO - has Stowe getting 7" after the rain....but then temps plummet.

Weekend seems hopeless.

Yes that site is weak. However, with the backside of the low, a disturbance coming through, and cold lake enhanced flow, I don't rule out 7" at Stowe and North Thursday-Sat by lift load time.

machski

At Killington today, driving in Route 4 was 17F, KBL was 28F. Misting all afternoon, freezing at summit but just must elsewhere. Temps in mid/upper 30's wit a crazy strong SW wind. Snow was great early, even found wind drift pow in on map glades untouched. Snow getting a bit moist now at least down low, high up still nice.

Update in case anyone is driving up tonight, when I got down to Route 4 eastbound from KBL, temp dropped from 37 to 27 and stayed in the 20's all along 4 and 89 until Contoocook in NH. Going to be a good dose of freezing r@!n tonight in the valley of ski country likely. Snow had transitioned to wet and thick at K by end of the day.

tnt1234

Update in case anyone is driving up tonight, when I got down to Route 4 eastbound from KBL, temp dropped from 37 to 27 and stayed in the 20's all along 4 and 89 until Contoocook in NH. Going to be a good dose of freezing r@!n tonight in the valley of ski country likely. Snow had transitioned to wet and thick at K by end of the day.

glad you got a good day in. Might be the last one for a while.

Zand

glad you got a good day in. Might be the last one for a while.

Good news is the base is very deep (in northern VT anyway but have to imagine it's good in the southern mountains too) so if we could get out of this cutter cycle, we'd be in business everywhere for a long time. I hit a lot more rocks in Utah last week than I did at SB or MRG this week.

machski

Good news is the base is very deep (in northern VT anyway but have to imagine it's good in the southern mountains too) so if we could get out of this cutter cycle, we'd be in business everywhere for a long time. I hit a lot more rocks in Utah last week than I did at SB or MRG this week.
Wow, find that hard to believe.

K has some areas that are going to take it hard mostly from being very wind scoured. Bottom of Downdraft/Double Dipper and Cascade where they all merge was very thin and already showing dirt, so I would expect they are going to really have to work that area after the heavy wash. The woods we're pretty good, but lower elevation stuff like bottom of Growler will take it hard. Still had to keep your eyes open on the most skied lines, lots of stumps and rocks were starting to poke up. They will be totally exposed after today.

Glenn

Our local Connecticut TV meteorologist this morning (he's a big snowmobiler): "If this was snow....10- to 30"! "

NYDB

jesus christ it looks like its been pouring rain for a day and a half. Shits gonna be fucked.

Definitely wouldn't be heading up this weekend if I didn't have to.

Zand

Sugarbush is still basically 100% open today...not sure how the ungroomed natural isn't totally frozen solid but it's open.