This weekend speculation thread 1/25-27 - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    We skied Stratton today. A bit scratchy in spots, but not bad considering the deluge last week. Crowds really thinned out around lunch. Started to snow as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they picked up a couple inches.
    SoVT

Surprise 6" at Gore today. Was very good and pretty much deserted up top where it mattered. Looking at maybe 12" from this next storm too.

This coming weekend is a time to hit it if you've been thinking about it. Glades had great coverage today and will only get better...which I want to say they are better covered now than most of last season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    I'm sure Jay got quite a bit like usual but yeah...can't imagine those natural trails at Stowe or Bush were much fun but maybe they got enough on the backside.
    I think a number of the natural trails at SB skied better than some of the groomers this weekend. It was quite surprising how edgeable the snow on the natural trails that I skied was. I don't quite understand it myself...but the ungroomed was definitely not frozen solid like I expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I think a number of the natural trails at SB skied better than some of the groomers this weekend. It was quite surprising how edgeable the snow on the natural trails that I skied was. I don't quite understand it myself...but the ungroomed was definitely not frozen solid like I expected it to be.
    Agree....natural snow trails were pretty decent at Mt Ellen this weekend - Exterminator, Semi Tough, Tumbler, Walts were all good.
    Last edited by WWF-VT; Jan 27, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Agree....natural snow trails were pretty decent at Mt Ellen this weekend - Exterminator, Semi Tough, Tumbler, Walts were all good. Few i
    Agree from Gore as well. Although the 6" new today helped, when it got scraped off on the naturals the snow underneath was very edgeable and not ice.

Not sure what makes it skiable vs boilerplate but perhaps the not being groomed gives more time to drain after the rain plus backside snow adhering to the surface as it freezes helps?

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

Stowe got hit, 10 inches in 2 days and more on the way..they have as much as...Vail. Hmmmmm
    Frozen granular?

Quote Originally Posted by mfi View Post
    Stowe got hit, 10 inches in 2 days and more on the way..they have as much as...Vail. Hmmmmm
    “As much as Vail”?

Base depth
    Vail: 61”
    Stowe: ?

I was surprised at how well Burke skied despite having some heavy rain mid-week. I wonder why the rain didn't have more of an impact?

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    I was surprised at how well Burke skied despite having some heavy rain mid-week. I wonder why the rain didn't have more of an impact?

Good grooming? Snowmaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    Good grooming? Snowmaking?
    It definitely wasn't snowmaking. Even the non-groomed trails held up surprisingly well.

Thread Information