• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend speculation thread 1/25-27

Glenn

We skied Stratton today. A bit scratchy in spots, but not bad considering the deluge last week. Crowds really thinned out around lunch. Started to snow as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they picked up a couple inches.

Kleetus

Surprise 6" at Gore today. Was very good and pretty much deserted up top where it mattered. Looking at maybe 12" from this next storm too.

This coming weekend is a time to hit it if you've been thinking about it. Glades had great coverage today and will only get better...which I want to say they are better covered now than most of last season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I'm sure Jay got quite a bit like usual but yeah...can't imagine those natural trails at Stowe or Bush were much fun but maybe they got enough on the backside.

I think a number of the natural trails at SB skied better than some of the groomers this weekend. It was quite surprising how edgeable the snow on the natural trails that I skied was. I don't quite understand it myself...but the ungroomed was definitely not frozen solid like I expected it to be.

WWF-VT

I think a number of the natural trails at SB skied better than some of the groomers this weekend. It was quite surprising how edgeable the snow on the natural trails that I skied was. I don't quite understand it myself...but the ungroomed was definitely not frozen solid like I expected it to be.

Agree....natural snow trails were pretty decent at Mt Ellen this weekend - Exterminator, Semi Tough, Tumbler, Walts were all good.

Last edited:

Kleetus

Agree....natural snow trails were pretty decent at Mt Ellen this weekend - Exterminator, Semi Tough, Tumbler, Walts were all good. Few i
Agree from Gore as well. Although the 6" new today helped, when it got scraped off on the naturals the snow underneath was very edgeable and not ice.

Not sure what makes it skiable vs boilerplate but perhaps the not being groomed gives more time to drain after the rain plus backside snow adhering to the surface as it freezes helps?

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app

mfi

Stowe got hit, 10 inches in 2 days and more on the way..they have as much as...Vail. Hmmmmm

VTKilarney

I was surprised at how well Burke skied despite having some heavy rain mid-week. I wonder why the rain didn't have more of an impact?

cdskier

Agree....natural snow trails were pretty decent at Mt Ellen this weekend - Exterminator, Semi Tough, Tumbler, Walts were all good.

I stayed at LP and didn't make it over to ME this weekend. But Lower Birdland, Morning Star, Sunrise (not completely natural, but pretty close as a groomer hasn't touched it lately and snow hasn't been made too recently) and Cotillion were all quite nice. Upper Castlerock Run was the only natural trail I skied that I didn't care for that much. The bumps there seemed a bit firmer, tighter, and deeper at the top.

Lower Birdland in particular was a big surprise for me (in a good way).

mfi

“As much as Vail”?

Base depth
Vail: 61”
Stowe: ?
snowfall to date..Stowe doesn't report base depth but it will never match out west..we get that rain crap.
On the snow.com says 48 inch base which sound believable..so its close.