• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This weekend speculation thread 1/25-27

tnt1234

OK - let's speculate some more!

Rain gonna kill everything?
Mid vt. get spared?
N vt get snow?

How will the cats be after a night of rain? Dunzo? Or worth a day trip?

It's almost hump day! let's talk bout the weekend!

Glenn

I enjoy these threads!

Wet midweek...followed by cold temps. I suppose if it really firms up, some areas may resurface a few trails.

Classic New England: Snow, bitter cold and wind, 50 degree temp swing with rain, back to winter. All in less than 7 days.

tnt1234

I enjoy these threads!

Wet midweek...followed by cold temps. I suppose if it really firms up, some areas may resurface a few trails.

Classic New England: Snow, bitter cold and wind, 50 degree temp swing with rain, back to winter. All in less than 7 days.

What a bummer - all that new snow ruined after what, three days? And one of those days was so cold even Jay Peak closed....terrible.

Looks like maybe, just maybe, Mad River Glen and north, the rain ends with snow. Points south look to be dunzo.

ghughes20

Best case for southern VT is the storm shifts south with minimal rain, just warm temps for a few days.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've been skiing every winter in New England since 83. As far as that time period goes, this is classic New England. There's always been events like this pretty much every year. Two February's ago we had a period of 6+ feet middle of February. Two days after Presidents day the faucet and furnace went on wiping almost everything out. Then we had an epic mid March into almost mid April. So it goes...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've been skiing every winter in New England since 83. As far as that time period goes, this is classic New England. There's always been events like this pretty much every year. Two February's ago we had a period of 6+ feet middle of February. Two days after Presidents day the faucet and furnace went on wiping almost everything out. Then we had an epic mid March into almost mid April. So it goes...

Yep. That was insane. FEET of snow in February followed by a week of temperatures in the 50s and 60s up in ski country. My personal reports show the weather was sun and temps in the 60s 2/19 and 2/20.

machski

I agree. This has been going on in New England since I was a kid. And honestly, knowing how the weather patterns shift and how easy it is to draw warm air into New England with pattern shifts, I can't imagine thaws haven't been a part of life always I. new England.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

Ok, so, thoughts on MRG being substantially better saturday than say Magic? Or Plattekill? Worth the drive?

Their forecast indicates the rain ends with a few inches of snow.

Thoughts?

My thoughts
- some resorts will make snow, that's a good bet for nice turns
- Why aren't we talking about the storm on Monday?

tnt1234

My thoughts
- some resorts will make snow, that's a good bet for nice turns
- Why aren't we talking about the storm on Monday?

Hmmm....grim prognosis.

Re: monday storm...sounds a little sketchy - not sure it's on all the models yet. Also, this is a weekend speculation thread. But feel free to extend speculation into next week....

slatham

Only shot in the entire NE to avoid firm and fast is significantly more backside snow than expected. Models have sucked lately so there is some hope. But my guess is it won’t be enough except way North. And again even there it will be after r@#*

Some indications for something Sunday-Monday for any extended weekend people. But again models suck, long way out. But there are hints....

mister moose

No, that was classic mid-Atlantic.
Sadly, it's now becoming "classic New England".

Go back further. Snowmaking was invented in the turn of the 60's to address "classic New England". Resorts were trying to create more certainty for opening for Christmas (yes, opening by as late as Christmas) and assure continuity through the entire season. As bad as early snowmaking was, (spray white ice) areas used it, pursued it, and expanded it.

I agree. This has been going on in New England since I was a kid. And honestly, knowing how the weather patterns shift and how easy it is to draw warm air into New England with pattern shifts, I can't imagine thaws haven't been a part of life always [in] new England.
Exactly.

There is a warm side to a storm and a cold side to a storm. The Gulf Stream and warm Carolina air is just too close. When a low goes west of us we are on the warm side and we get rain if cold air isn't entrenched enough from the previous system

*Double ABC quote is being created by the site/browser, not me. Edited attempts to fix it with a single quote gets reproduced split form again.

Last edited: