Waterville Valley Lift Issues - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Right. And Yan I believe had a significantly lower pricepoint for their lifts than Poma and Dopp. Yan also was pretty much the last major U.S. manufacturer as well. They also did a good job pushing out lifts for ski areas that were growing (such as Squaw Valley, Killington, Sunday River, etc.) I see a lot of smaller areas reusing Yan lifts. But admittedly the main areas are getting rid of their Yans...mainly out here.
    A good bit cheaper. Yan did a lot of cool innovations in the industry. He was clearly bright and liked to push the envelope, he just pushed too far with the grips. That said, fleeing the US was a major dirtbag move. Their fixed grips are some of the most reliable around though. I don't see those going anywhere back east anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    A good bit cheaper. Yan did a lot of cool innovations in the industry. He was clearly bright and liked to push the envelope, he just pushed too far with the grips. That said, fleeing the US was a major dirtbag move. Their fixed grips are some of the most reliable around though. I don't see those going anywhere back east anytime soon.
    IIRC there was also a criminal investigation into him taking money from LA or some California City to build a monorail or something that never got off the ground.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Yes,

Basically anything over 3k feet elevation is off limits for glading in the WMNF. Though that should mean in theory, Peak could apply for permitting to cut a lot more at Attitash. They probably don't because they don't get a lot of natural snow and their clientele doesn't demand it. Definitely some spots I'd love to see them work on though. Skiers right of Idiots Option. Maybe something from Upper Saco down to Ammossuc. A nice long one between Kachina and Avenger.

I'm kinda hoping that maybe with the WMNF loosing up regulations to allow Granite Backcountry Alliance to cut some stuff, perhaps we finally see some sanctioned upper mountain glades at Cat, but I'm not holding my breath.

VT in general just has better forests for glades. A lot more hardwood vs softwood for NH. Hardwoods just have better (wider) natural spacing and are easier to cut and maintain.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Thank you, your answer is very helpful. I was not aware of the 3k feet elevation rule. That wouldn't apply to Cannon though, right, since they're in Franconia Notch State Park? Cannon has some tight glades, but I am not a huge fan of them. They're fun once in awhile, but I hate not having a lot of choice in terms of picking a line, plus they get tracked SO quickly after a storm. Wildcat gets enough snow, especially up top, where wider glades could be really fun. Honestly, one of the main reasons that I drive all the way up to VT is for the glades at places like Mad River and Jay.

White Peaks is one of the earliest Detach quads in the East as an 1988 installation. Quadzilla is very valuable where it is in my opinion and having three detach lifts would've really set WV apart from most NH mountains except Loon. They really should be investigating a bubble six pack for a White Peaks replacement here if they want to compete and stand out like they did wayyyyyy back in the day. Nowadays it feels like WV is fighting off Ragged, Crotched, Gunstock instead of fighting up to the level of say Loon and Cannon.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Killington, SR, Squaw, Alta, Mammouth, and many many other major players were built on Yan lifts. Many of which are still turning. Solid fixed grips.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Thank you, your answer is very helpful. I was not aware of the 3k feet elevation rule. That wouldn't apply to Cannon though, right, since they're in Franconia Notch State Park? Cannon has some tight glades, but I am not a huge fan of them. They're fun once in awhile, but I hate not having a lot of choice in terms of picking a line, plus they get tracked SO quickly after a storm. Wildcat gets enough snow, especially up top, where wider glades could be really fun. Honestly, one of the main reasons that I drive all the way up to VT is for the glades at places like Mad River and Jay.
    Most on map glades at Cannon were cut by locals and the mountain just put them on the map. Yes, they don't have to play by the same rules being state land. They have an immense amount of trees still off map that you can find fresh snow on.

Agree on Wildcat. That's my "home hill." So much acreage between Upper Wildcat and Catapult as well as Lynx and Polecat to cut some vast glades. I harp on that with management every time I talk with them. Big dream of mine to see that happen someday.

The glades that were cut at Wildcat were done poorly. They left only birch trees and birch tree do not do well by themselves in that weather. A couple of glades they had to close for a few years for regrowth when all the birch trees started to die.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    The glades that were cut at Wildcat were done poorly. They left only birch trees and birch tree do not do well by themselves in that weather. A couple of glades they had to close for a few years for regrowth when all the birch trees started to die.
    Agreed that the old Mountain Jag wasn't handled properly and as I understand it, cut without a permit. The rest of the ones on the lower mountain were done pretty well though I think

None of the WV issues surprise me. They are notoriously cheap and make questionable capital and project management decisions.

Thread Information