Ski the East...or not? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

no drive to a ski area has ever annoyed me as bad as flying mishaps can.
    I’ve had my share of flight delays. Fly enough, that’s bound to happen. Just statistic. But it doesn’t bother me.

For one thing, I can work anywhere.

So, stuck at airport? Pull out my laptop, or even just the iPad. I’m in business! Not quite as efficient as in the office with 3 monitors, but I can work on stuff that don’t need a nig screen.

Have to get a hotel room? No biggie. Sure, it may bring additional expense which I don’t like. But the time was either for sleeping or swimming or gym, whatever I would have been doing that time of day anyway. No time wasted.

The only thing I can help is when the plane circled for hours, whocj happened in a recent flight. Yeah, I was borderline stir crazy. But it never happened for that long, not that I could remember.

Contrast that with getting stuck on roads on a friday rush hour trying to get to a ski resort in a snow storm turning a 5 hr drive into a 10 hr drive? No thanks. I’ll gladly take a leak in a phone booth on a plane!

I don't live where there really is much of a rush hour and I also don't live 5 hours from where I prefer to ski. I live 2 hours away. In the worst conditions it's never taken longer than 3.5 hours.

I work remotely too, so yes I can and do work when delayed with air travel.

I also have a 3 year old just starting to ski and a two month old. That ups the ante tenfold on air travel headaches. Nevermind the cost.

End of the day, I don't really care what others prefer nor should they care what I prefer.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

It’s amazing how different our preference are! Even in such narrowly defined sphere as downhill skiing!

Isn’t this world a fascinating place?

My 2 cents— 3 days at vail is 460$. Killington midweek pass 489$ plus tax. ��

When I priced out a trip earlier this season it would of cost me almost 2k for 5 day trip to ski 3 days. I can’t do that. Maybe one day I’d love to but for now I’ll take my killington season pass & day trips in the Catskills over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Piste_inyoFace View Post
    My 2 cents— 3 days at vail is 460$. Killington midweek pass 489$ plus tax. ��

When I priced out a trip earlier this season it would of cost me almost 2k for 5 day trip to ski 3 days. I can’t do that. Maybe one day I’d love to but for now I’ll take my killington season pass & day trips in the Catskills over that.
    It obviously depends on location, but you could do unlimited skiing at Stowe (with blackouts), Okemo (no blackouts), up to 10 days at Vail, for under $700 by buying a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I'm on the way home to Logan as I type from a business trip to Cancun. I could literally avoid Logan (all of Boston actually) for the rest of my life and be very pleased with that outcome.

If I must fly it is almost always Manchester, but the timing just didn't work out this trip.

If it was more or equivalently convenient for me to fly out of Manchester or Portland I'd do it every time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I don't live where there really is much of a rush hour and I also don't live 5 hours from where I prefer to ski. I live 2 hours away. In the worst conditions it's never taken longer than 3.5 hours.

I work remotely too, so yes I can and do work when delayed with air travel.

I also have a 3 year old just starting to ski and a two month old. That ups the ante tenfold on air travel headaches. Nevermind the cost.

End of the day, I don't really care what others prefer nor should they care what I prefer.

Can't argue with anything you've said here. Family and to a lesser extent simply non-skiing friends really make super frequent trips out west less appealing to me. There's something nice about being able to audible a free Sunday or not skiing at all for a weekend to make time for something urgent. While possible with flying too, it usually costs you a bunch.

Flight delays and traffic delays both infuriate me, but I completely agree that the average traffic delay is much less severe than the average flight delay. This is from the perspective of something driving from Boston to Maine and NH primarily.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Plus the cost factor changes drastically when you start to consider the possibility of multiple people. The car/drive cost is the same whether there is 1 person in the car or 5. Flights on the other hand are per person.

Additionally...the IRS rate is rather ridiculous in my opinion (not that I complain when I have to drive to one of my other offices for work and get reimbursed for mileage).

Even if the costs were the same, I'd still rather drive 5 hours every weekend rather than take a flight every weekend.
    Your point about costs/person is a good one. I'm always thinking in terms of one person in the car personally, but definitely not the case or even the norm for most of us.

The IRS rate I agree is bananas (hence why I used the term "aggressively" when I brought it up haha).

When the drive extends beyond 3.5 hours, I get squeamish. No matter how awake I am to start the drive, I get real sleeping by hour 4. Absolutely to each their own though. The VT mountains would be in a lot worse shape financially if everyone was like me.

I'm more of a cyclist than skier so take this for what it's worth.

When the skiing is bad, the fat biking is normally really good. I'm lucky enough to live near (30 min max drive) 7 different fat bike areas, 5 of them are groomed with machines, the other 2 with snow shoes. That's not counting the thousands of miles of ski doo trails that I can reach from my back yard.

My greatest anxiety with flying is loss of luggage and skis..that can really mess up a trip. That being said it has only happened once on a trip to Tahoe...but I still hate the wait at the luggage pickup..praying that at least my skis made it. Flying to resorts in this country is not too bad, especially Utah where you can ski the same day. BC is another story. 18 hours from the time I left my house to the resort. Air Canada is a bit of a mess..but the trip was worth it. 5 hour drives aren't too bad if you stop at least once, and you have another driver. Stowe is a t least a straight shot up with very little VT crawling at 30mph. Having a truck with snow tires gives me no worries, except for the cars with no season tires crashing in front of me in a storm.
    Frozen granular?

Count me in the camp of people who believe that flying is a bigger burden than driving. You have to get to the airport ahead of time, wait for your plane, fly, wait for your skis, wait for your shuttle... etc...

You also can't be nimble when flying - at least if you book the tickets ahead of time. If SLC is having a bad year, too bad. You are locked in.

I have a lot of respect for people that make numerous trips out west each year, but it's not something that I would be interested in, especially since I live three hours (with no traffic) from an airport with a direct flight to SLC.

Thread Information