Ski the East...or not? - Page 16

AlpineZone

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Hmmmmm, if that's true, I suppose we will see Shiffrin skiing in a World cup race on Kore 117 and Dale Earnhardt Jr racing Talladega in an 18 wheeler.

I have no doubt the OP can probably ski hard pack fairly well on the Kore 117 and so could I, but a ski of those dimensions is a very poor choice for those conditions. There are probably 100 models of skis if not more that would be a better choice for hardpack including every other model in the Kore series. In the East, about 90% of the days in a season, the Kore 93 would be a better tool for the conditions than the 117.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Everything that you say about narrower skis working better on harder snow surfaces is true. Obviously ski racers are going to keep using narrow skis! And I agree that the Kore 93 would work better almost all of the time on the East Coast than the 117, unless you're really lucky and live next to Jay Peak and only go skiing when there's a dump of new snow ! The other exception is if you're Andrew Drummond and are mostly heading out into the backcountry. Exceptions aside, your point stands.

That said, what's changed in the last few years is that ski manufacturers have started producing wider skis that actually perform pretty decently on harder snow surfaces. Oftentimes that means rocker-camber-rocker instead of full rocker, larger sidecuts, and different materials or construction. This doesn't mean that wider skis work better than narrower skis on hardpack, they generally don't, but the performance differences have gotten a bit smaller.

I kept skiing my narrow race skis even after my high school ski racing days for many years. It wasn't until recently that I tried skiing on wider skis, and boy was it so much more fun to do things other than carve on hard surfaces. My daily driver is now in the 85-90 range, and my powder/west coast ski is in the 105-110 range. I've used the 105-110 ski a few times this season, but of course the 85-90 gets most of my use. I've skied race skis out west plenty of times ... but I will not go back to that. The wider skis are so much more fun. But I have nothing but respect for people who love skiing narrow skis. It's all personal preference. Different skis perform better or worse in certain conditions, but ultimately it's about what's enjoyable to you. Unless you're Mikaela Shiffrin !

Well said
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    Everything that you say about narrower skis working better on harder snow surfaces is true. Obviously ski racers are going to keep using narrow skis! And I agree that the Kore 93 would work better almost all of the time on the East Coast than the 117, unless you're really lucky and live next to Jay Peak and only go skiing when there's a dump of new snow ! The other exception is if you're Andrew Drummond and are mostly heading out into the backcountry. Exceptions aside, your point stands.

That said, what's changed in the last few years is that ski manufacturers have started producing wider skis that actually perform pretty decently on harder snow surfaces. Oftentimes that means rocker-camber-rocker instead of full rocker, larger sidecuts, and different materials or construction. This doesn't mean that wider skis work better than narrower skis on hardpack, they generally don't, but the performance differences have gotten a bit smaller.

I kept skiing my narrow race skis even after my high school ski racing days for many years. It wasn't until recently that I tried skiing on wider skis, and boy was it so much more fun to do things other than carve on hard surfaces. My daily driver is now in the 85-90 range, and my powder/west coast ski is in the 105-110 range. I've used the 105-110 ski a few times this season, but of course the 85-90 gets most of my use. I've skied race skis out west plenty of times ... but I will not go back to that. The wider skis are so much more fun. But I have nothing but respect for people who love skiing narrow skis. It's all personal preference. Different skis perform better or worse in certain conditions, but ultimately it's about what's enjoyable to you. Unless you're Mikaela Shiffrin !
    My daily driver is a 90. It will likely be replaced with either Head Kore 93 or Nordica Enforcer 93.

My general point is more directed towards folks who ski something 100+ as a daily ski in the East at a place like Loon or 120+ out West and make comments about performing well in bumps or hard pack. Yes the rocker / camber profile helps a lot. The gap has gotten smaller. However if you value precision, the performance difference is still night and day. This is why all ski designers still produce a race ski, bump ski, powder ski etc with a certain profile.

Typically folks making such comments can't buy a carved turn or link a half dozen steep bumps before bailing across the fall line. They don't have the skill set to tell the difference, so I just kinda laugh at the comments.

If I ski Breck on Peak 8 bowls 90% of the time a wide ski performs best. Skiing Montezuma Bowl or East Wall then again a wider ski performs well. At Loveland off Chair 9 or other higher terrain then the wider ski performs best. It handles chop, powder and crud with ease. Groomers are not my concern since they ski well there too. The snow here is almost always carveable using any ski. Back easy, I agree that a mid fat does better unless you are a snow chaser.

BTW my wife skies the Volkl 100eights and they carve very well for her. Volkl did a really nice job with those.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Sorry Dave

No offense, but you really don't have the skill set to know the difference. Skiing a 122 underfoot ski as a daily driver virtually anywhere except a place like Valdez heli-skiing is silly. The best freeride skiers in the world, guys like Candide Thovex, are likely on something 108 or less in typical resort conditions in Colorado.

And don't take this as me saying you are a bad skier. You are an average advanced recreational skier. You skid turns more than carve and don't have quick feet in bumps. Glad you have fun on those 122 Solomon's, but someone with a higher skill set is going to demand much more precision with their gear.

I probably come across as an asshole here, but nothing I'm saying is untrue about aki design. That's why manufacturers produce the varying ski products they do.

I often laugh when I see people skiing with 110+ width skis on a 10 degrees day when it rained the day before.

My general point is more directed towards folks who ski something 100+ as a daily ski in the East
    Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I often laugh when I see people skiing with 110+ width skis on a 10 degrees day when it rained the day before.
    These are fair criticisms. I have noticed more and more people skiing fat skis out east on days that really don't warrant them. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but when Sunapee is icy from not having a new snow in over a week, those 110 width skis really aren't very ideal !

When I go out west, almost all of my runs are off of the trail in bowls, glades, moguls, and more. I've found that this newer generation of wide skis does very well on western hardpack, to the point where I the only ski I bring with me is my wide 105-110 pair of skis. Western groomers are softer and have lower skier density than out east, at least where I ski. Believe it or not I'm still able to carve some nice turns on my 105-110 skis out west. Obviously the wide skis are less ideal for carving, but when I'm out west, carving isn't my top priority like it can be here in the east.

Sorry Dave

No offense, but you really don't have the skill set to know the difference. Skiing a 122 underfoot ski as a daily driver virtually anywhere except a place like Valdez heli-skiing is silly. The best freeride skiers in the world, guys like Candide Thovex, are likely on something 108 or less in typical resort conditions in Colorado.

And don't take this as me saying you are a bad skier. You are an average advanced recreational skier. You skid turns more than carve and don't have quick feet in bumps. Glad you have fun on those 122 Solomon's, but someone with a higher skill set is going to demand much more precision with their gear.

I probably come across as an asshole here, but nothing I'm saying is untrue about aki design. That's why manufacturers produce the varying ski products they do.

Wow! Thank you Judge DHS, expert extraordinaire.

First the skis I am on have a great balance of rocker and camber with 20 mm of side cut. They handle all the non groomer stuff that a narrower ski would sink in. Because of the balance of the ski, taking them on groomers is not an issue at all. I love the way they ski since they float over everything. Skis have come a long way and I have raced on narrow skis, switched to mid flats and still have then but i will continue to ski a ski that gives me most of what I want.

Anyone reading the DHS bullshit - ski what you want, ski what you like, ski where you want. This is not a competition of skier wits or skill. It is a fucken forum.

DHS I have skied with you and you have nice skid turns too. Sorry about going there but you did - expected.more from you!

I hope to be as good as you when I grow up. Nah, I am happy with my abilities.

Have fun!

BTW I-70 sucked today! Not!

15167.jpeg

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by crazy View Post
    These are fair criticisms. I have noticed more and more people skiing fat skis out east on days that really don't warrant them. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but when Sunapee is icy from not having a new snow in over a week, those 110 width skis really aren't very ideal !

When I go out west, almost all of my runs are off of the trail in bowls, glades, moguls, and more. I've found that this newer generation of wide skis does very well on western hardpack, to the point where I the only ski I bring with me is my wide 105-110 pair of skis. Western groomers are softer and have lower skier density than out east, at least where I ski. Believe it or not I'm still able to carve some nice turns on my 105-110 skis out west. Obviously the wide skis are less ideal for carving, but when I'm out west, carving isn't my top priority like it can be here in the east.
    Someone who gets it!

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Did Highway Star hack DHS’s account?

Thread Information