Ski the East...or not? - Page 17

AlpineZone

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Did Highway Star hack DHSs account?
    Lol

I'm just saying that the true technicians of the sport, people have mastered all conditions and terrain types, right size their gear. I'm talking people like Puck It, waloaf, Savemeasammy, Xwhaler. You'd never see any of them on something wider than about 100 as a daily driver in the East and they sure as hell wouldn't be skiing a 122 as a daily driver in the West. Maybe after an 18" dump a skier of their caliber would bring out something that big. Maybe

What I'm saying isn't all that controversial. Pretty much all manufacturers and retailers say the same thing. A lot of skiers, tend to choose skis that are too wide for the conditions they ski 80-90% of the time. They buy these super fat skis where they will only realize their benefits 10% of the time.

If you don't understand these realities of ski design, it's probably because you lacj the skills to appreciate the difference. You get people like Dlague making horrible gear recommendations. I remember him suggesting his Chams in a thread asking for advise about good carving skis. Um what??? I bit my tongue then. Maybe I should've last night and today as he's clearly offended.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Lol

I'm just saying that the true technicians of the sport, people have mastered all conditions and terrain types, right size their gear. I'm talking people like Puck It, waloaf, Savemeasammy, Xwhaler. You'd never see any of them on something wider than about 100 as a daily driver in the East and they sure as hell wouldn't be skiing a 122 as a daily driver in the West. Maybe after an 18" dump a skier of their caliber would bring out something that big. Maybe

What I'm saying isn't all that controversial. Pretty much all manufacturers and retailers say the same thing. A lot of skiers, tend to choose skis that are too wide for the conditions they ski 80-90% of the time. They buy these super fat skis where they will only realize their benefits 10% of the time.

If you don't understand these realities of ski design, it's probably because you lacj the skills to appreciate the difference. You get people like Dlague making horrible gear recommendations. I remember him suggesting his Chams in a thread asking for advise about good carving skis. Um what??? I bit my tongue then. Maybe I should've last night and today as he's clearly offended.

I have to agree with DHS here. My midseason everyday ski is the Pinnacle 95 currently and they carve pretty darn good when the groomers are soft like they have been most of this week/weekend. I am lighter than most, so they float enough for Eastern Powder and even Western for me. I rarely go wider as I like the precision I get when needed. But if we go boiler east hard pack (or its spring and I'm skiing mostly soft bumps all day long), then the Chargers come out and those are 74 under foot. Sorry, but there is a huge difference when trying to carve on ice/hard pack between underfoot widths. I can swing tthe Pinnacles and look pretty good on the hard pack, but the reality is I'm skidding most turns or a least smearing it. On the Chargers, I am still carving the turn and if it gets even more slick and the edge starts to slip, so much easier and quicker to feel/correct on the narrow than the wide boards.

To each their own though.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

I also agree with DHS. My daily ski is 78mm underfoot.

It was the delivery that could have been more refined.

I can rip anything on my 105mm Rossignol soul 7s. They are better for carving than my 90mm line Profit flights I had before. They have the same turn radius as some Slalom skies.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    I can rip anything on my 105mm Rossignol soul 7’s. They are better for carving than my 90mm line Profit flights I had before. They have the same turn radius as some Slalom skies.
    LOL...90 under foot Line Prophet Flight not exactly known as a carving ski and neither is the Soul 7

Soul 7 is a short turner for what it is, but yeah, its no carver.

I ski on my 78 Head Supreme Instincts a lot these days. Even in a good snow year, its often a better tool than my wider skis.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'm not sure there's really a good one ski quiver for the east. You encounter so many different snow conditions here, I'm often thinking a different ski than what I'm on would make the day more fun. If you're on the wrong ski for the conditions, then it usually means you're working harder than necessary, or sometimes means you can't go to all the terrain you want to ski (e.g. you're on a narrow ski and there's deep powder in the woods).

I'm probably heading towards a four ski quiver: a wide powder ski (106), a narrow hardpack ski (77), a mid-fat (TBD, but I'm eyeing the Kore 93 as others have mentioned), and possibly a bump ski (if I can ever learn to ski the zip line).

A lot of skiers, tend to choose skis that are too wide for the conditions they ski 80-90% of the time. They buy these super fat skis where they will only realize their benefits 10% of the time.
    I've said this many times before, but cant resist a perfect opportunity once more:

Skiing skis that are too wide is the new, skiing skis that are too long.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

If there's no new snow in the last 48 hours or so then Im skiing 95's. New snow Im skiing 110. More than two feet I probably am reaching for the 115's....but more often than not 110 is more than enough.

Lol

If someone gets offended by what someone wrote on the internet then they have bigger issues than wearing powder skis on hardpack and thinking they are the right ski for the job.

Thread Information