Ski the East...or not?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Ski the East...or not?

So many people I know just wont ski the East any more. I go on 3 trips out west a season and when i ask the crowd im with..who live here ,where they ski, most say out west only now. They have given up with our variable conditions and long drives. Sad..I cant imagine not skiing here..i think it makes you better. And some wonder why they have a tough time out there when the champagne powder turns to
    Crud...and in order to stay in shape for places like JH..you better ski a lot before and after you go. This last trip wiped out so many people..quickly.
    Hmmm...wonder why...

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    So many people I know just wont ski the East any more. I go on 3 trips out west a season and when i ask the crowd im with..who live here ,where they ski, most say out west only now. They have given up with our variable conditions and long drives. Sad..I cant imagine not skiing here..i think it makes you better. And some wonder why they have a tough time out there when the champagne powder turns to
    Crud...and in order to stay in shape for places like JH..you better ski a lot before and after you go. This last trip wiped out so many people..quickly.
    Hmmm...wonder why...
    Your friends are old? I just can't get motivated to ski shit conditions the older I get.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

All in late 40s to 60s. At best they go to killington a few times..they cant believe i drive 5 hours to Stowe every week when im not out west..
    Skiing SB,Stowe,Jay..only makes you better
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Wimps....

What really cracks me up is a lot of them bring their Eastern skis...and die in the deep snow...some do get it..and rent some fat boys...after dying..in the powder.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Your friends are old? I just can't get motivated to ski shit conditions the older I get.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Hmmm...wonder why...
    They aren't skiers....they're tourists

I'm the opposite. The older I get, the more I appreciate all kinds of conditions. Yes, the preference is powder, but if you have the right gear tuned properly and the skill to use it, even hard pack days can be fun. The most accomplished precision racers on the planet live for snow surfaces Joe Tourist thinks as garbage.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I love so much about east coast skiing.

I love the variety of mountains- from large resorts to small mom and pops...I love - absolutely love - winding, new england trails, narrow and steep, snaking down the mountain....

I love east coast glade skiing....

But I'm really getting frustrated with our weather. When we catch two feet of snow on a sunday, and that is wiped out by rain before the very next weekend...

I just don’t have the time to ski the east.

This season, I’ll go out west 3 times, 9 weeks total, including the weekends front and back. That doesn’t leave too many weekends I’m in the east!

Then, like last weekend, I just got back from CO the week before, do I feel strongly motivated to fight the holiday crowd and pay premium window price (blackouts in my Ikon base pass) and the risk of windhold? Nah.

Simple math of zero sum game: the more I ski put west, the less time I have to ski the east!

I’m not choosing not to ski the east, I’m simply choose to ski west as my priority, with the resulting consequence of not skiing the east half as much as I used to.

Thread Information