Ever been through a lift evac?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever been through a lift evac?

Either rescued or rescuer?
    Three times that I can think of we were stopped for so long I was convinced we were going to be, but then they got auxiliary running & we made it out. Now I keep a pack of hand warmers in my pocket.

If it's snowin' I'm goin'

1980 something ,Shawnee in Pa. on a 60f day was fun actually . Patrol was very professional , wife was a bit nervous . We were given free passes so losing an hour was worth it .

edit. I like the warmer idea , never know.
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Yes. Christmas Day 2006 at Burke on the Willoughby Quad. I was evacced using the rope and seat set. I say that it was God's way of punishing me for skiing on Christmas Day instead of celebrating the birth of Jesus. Since then, I have never skied on Christmas Day.

I also was stuck on the Sherburne Double in 1991, but they got the auxiliary going and got us off.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I narrowly missed having to be evac'd at SB on Heaven's Gate several years ago. If I had decided to take that lift 1 run earlier, I would have been on it when it broke down and had to be evac'd.

I was evac'ed off the Red chair at Magic about 5 years ago, told to kick off the skis and drop the poles, lowered down via rope. Was about 90 minutes from the time the lift stopped until I was on the ground. One of the last chairs evac'ed.

Quote Originally Posted by legalskier View Post
    Either rescued or rescuer?
    Three times that I can think of we were stopped for so long I was convinced we were going to be, but then they got auxiliary running & we made it out. Now I keep a pack of hand warmers in my pocket.
    Spent 25 year as a Patroller... So Yeah, Been thru a few Lift Evac's. It's all about good training, good equipment, and having the right people in place. Weather is a huge variant, and doing it in the dark really sucks

Only once, chair 5 at Greek Peak. I was with my son who must've been about 8-10 years old, so 1997-99. I knew we were going to be evacuated when a snowmobile uphill of us was working his way down, stopping at every chair and talking to the people in it. My son was very nervous, and asked me how they were going to get us down. I told him maybe they'd have us jump onto an air bag. Really?! I said no, not really, but it would be cool. I explained they'd be lowering us down.

When our turn came around, I patted my belly at told the guys who were going to lower us that I was sorry, and I'd been meaning to drop a few pounds. They just laughed and explained that with the rope wrapped around itself, the more weight, the more it grabbed onto itself. I was a little nervous about the aluminum t-bar holding up to the strain though.

I can't remember how long it took, quite awhile, an hour maybe. Our only comp was a shuttle bus ride back to the base area. Now whenever a chair stops longer than normal, I wonder if evac two is coming. If the weather is bad, I imagine it would be no fun at all. I don't remember it being an issue for us.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I narrowly missed having to be evac'd at SB on Heaven's Gate several years ago. If I had decided to take that lift 1 run earlier, I would have been on it when it broke down and had to be evac'd.
    I was on the Heaven’s Gate chair that day with my son. It was a bit nerve racking lifting the bar up and pushing my son off the chair from 50’ up. They also used that chair system that Trail Boss mentioned above - I was not a big fan of it. I would have felt much safer with a traditional sling.

Hunters quad..after that they decided to fix it and move it to the west side..froze our asses off for 2 hours..they rescued over 200 people
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

I got evac'd off the Ego Alley Triple at Mount Snow on MLK Day maybe 6 or 7 years ago. COLD day, with temps around zero and a stiff breeze. Took about 90 minutes from when the lift stopped (the haul rope apparently derailed off one of the sheaves on a tower near the base of the Yard Sale). I was basically over the top of Yard Sale/bottom of Ego Alley/Drop junction maybe 30 feet up in the air.
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Thread Information