• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread 2/2-3: The Road to Recovery?

slatham

The forecast for Magic is 9-12". That should get them into great shape even if a couple of the gnarliest steeps aren't ready yet.

slatham

A system 7/8 days out is way too early to discuss or at least to plan around.

Agreed. And with that the new Euro says that while the storm "cuts" it snows pretty much everywhere in norther NE, certainly north of Rutland. Just one model run but point in next Monday/Tuesday is a loooongggg way off and models are not doing well in this pattern.

Zand

Agreed. And with that the new Euro says that while the storm "cuts" it snows pretty much everywhere in norther NE, certainly north of Rutland. Just one model run but point in next Monday/Tuesday is a loooongggg way off and models are not doing well in this pattern.

I did end up booking the trip so hoping for the best. I'll be at Jay Monday so hopefully being as far north as possible will help. That said, the storm as modeled now shows a lot of mid-level warmth so would be more on the side of ice rather than snow. But yes, with the struggles this winter hopefully that Arctic front sags south enough to keep the taint away.

tnt1234

I did end up booking the trip so hoping for the best. I'll be at Jay Monday so hopefully being as far north as possible will help. That said, the storm as modeled now shows a lot of mid-level warmth so would be more on the side of ice rather than snow. But yes, with the struggles this winter hopefully that Arctic front sags south enough to keep the taint away.

Here's hoping!

Where did you say you were staying?

Zand

Here's hoping!

Where did you say you were staying?

Beautiful St Johnsbury.

I graduated from LSC in 2013...the year after I went up a bunch while I still knew everyone but since then I've only been back once. I'm sure not much has changed.

VTKilarney

Beautiful St Johnsbury.

I graduated from LSC in 2013...the year after I went up a bunch while I still knew everyone but since then I've only been back once. I'm sure not much has changed.
The McDonald’s closed. Dominoes opened.

Jersey Skier

Here's my weather watching quandary:

After having to scrap a day trip MLK weekend and missing the big snow, then deciding to scuttle the following week because of the mini typhoon, my daughter and I are skiing come hell or high water - hopefully that is just a figure of speech. We are driving somewhere friday night and skiing saturday and driving home.

On the table:

Plattekill - Close. 3-1/2 hr. drive. Easy peasy. Nearly 100% open right now despite the rain (anyone ski there recently?). So if they get 8-10" Tuesday, maybe they open for a powder day, but with he cold weather, should be if pretty good shape for Sat. I would think.

Magic - Medium distance. 4-4-1/2 hrs. depend on where we find a room. We've never been despite trying to get there for a good day for the last 2-3 years. Could this be the year? Only half open so not sure Tuesdays snow returns it to all it's glory.

Mad River Glen. Ugg. The Big Drive. 5-1/2 hours, maybe 6 on a Friday evening. But conditions sound surprisingly good, and they got some bonus snow this weekend. A little storm really should put them in prime shape based on the reports I've read. But that's 11-12 hours of driving for 7-8 hours of skiing. (My daughter is not old enough to drive, so I'm behind the wheel the whole way.) So, that kind of suck, but you know, we love that mountain....little afraid of the single line on a nice day after some snow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reports from these three mountains?

I'll be checking the weather constantly at work....gonna be a long week!

You should add Gore to the list. Though I'm not sure about weekend crowds. The drive from central NJ is 4 hours and they got 9-10" Sunday, supposed to get more today and most of the glades are open. Easy to get a cheap room in Lake George and that's 3 1/2 hours.

Kleetus

You should add Gore to the list. Though I'm not sure about weekend crowds. The drive from central NJ is 4 hours and they got 9-10" Sunday, supposed to get more today and most of the glades are open. Easy to get a cheap room in Lake George and that's 3 1/2 hours.

Not that I want to add to people heading to Gore this weekend but...would be a good play. Gore never really gets THAT crowded, even on a holiday weekend. While there can be some lines for the lower mountain, normally once you get above the gondola/away from the front side the rest of the mountain is not busy.

They got 6" on Sunday and it was skiing great. I see they already got another 5" as of this afternoon's report. I would guess they end up with 10" out of this storm. While the rain did some damage last week, they did get 22" from the storm before and did not lose much. Plenty of base in the woods and on natural trails and this snow should just make things better.

tnt1234

Not that I want to add to people heading to Gore this weekend but...would be a good play. Gore never really gets THAT crowded, even on a holiday weekend. While there can be some lines for the lower mountain, normally once you get above the gondola/away from the front side the rest of the mountain is not busy.

They got 6" on Sunday and it was skiing great. I see they already got another 5" as of this afternoon's report. I would guess they end up with 10" out of this storm. While the rain did some damage last week, they did get 22" from the storm before and did not lose much. Plenty of base in the woods and on natural trails and this snow should just make things better.

Intersting...

Think they are in a little better shape than magic?

legalskier

On a chair at Belle on Sunday some folks who'd been at Gore the prior Sunday told me that the problem was getting there that morning. It snowed so hard Sat p.m./Sun a.m. that the plow guy couldn't get to their place so they had to dig out. Then it took over 2 hours to get there though they were only 10 miles away or so. Then on the access road cars were spinning out left & right. "Sh*tshow" was the description. Once they got there by late morning, however, it was all worth it. They said conditions were phenomenal.

Zand

Starting to look better for early next week (and WARM but not too much). Would be nice to get some days in the mid 30s after last week's MLK fun. Maybe some light snow Sunday night. Tuesday is still concerning but I'd be okay with a little light rain and then get out before the freeze up.

tnt1234

got to make a call and get a room.....Platty or Magic on Saturday?