Weekend Speculation Thread 2/2-3: The Road to Recovery?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Northern ADKs and VT got some surprise snow and sounds like conditions up there were pretty good. S. Vt. and the Cats sounded a little sketchier. Good under the guns kind of reports.

Magic seems to have gotten hit pretty hard, with trail counts nose diving to around 50%.

What will the week bring? Snow in the forecast for Tuesday - is this real? Substantial? Enough o make every region great again?

Polar Vortex back in play, begging the question, how cold is too cold? Will the vortex boogie in time for some human temps Saturday? Or are we destine to triple layers and double puffys?

Let's speculate!

Here's my weather watching quandary:

After having to scrap a day trip MLK weekend and missing the big snow, then deciding to scuttle the following week because of the mini typhoon, my daughter and I are skiing come hell or high water - hopefully that is just a figure of speech. We are driving somewhere friday night and skiing saturday and driving home.

On the table:

Plattekill - Close. 3-1/2 hr. drive. Easy peasy. Nearly 100% open right now despite the rain (anyone ski there recently?). So if they get 8-10" Tuesday, maybe they open for a powder day, but with he cold weather, should be if pretty good shape for Sat. I would think.

Magic - Medium distance. 4-4-1/2 hrs. depend on where we find a room. We've never been despite trying to get there for a good day for the last 2-3 years. Could this be the year? Only half open so not sure Tuesdays snow returns it to all it's glory.

Mad River Glen. Ugg. The Big Drive. 5-1/2 hours, maybe 6 on a Friday evening. But conditions sound surprisingly good, and they got some bonus snow this weekend. A little storm really should put them in prime shape based on the reports I've read. But that's 11-12 hours of driving for 7-8 hours of skiing. (My daughter is not old enough to drive, so I'm behind the wheel the whole way.) So, that kind of suck, but you know, we love that mountain....little afraid of the single line on a nice day after some snow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reports from these three mountains?

I'll be checking the weather constantly at work....gonna be a long week!

Northern NH got some snow late afternoon Sunday as well, 4" or so a Cannon. Wow 4-4 1/2 Medium distant - ouch!
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Skied Stratton Sunday. Conditions were better than expected. If we get a good storm this week most trails and glades in sovt will be open. Saturday’s crowds will be significant, they always are after a mid week storm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Handlebars View Post
    Skied Stratton Sunday. Conditions were better than expected. If we get a good storm this week most trails and glades in sovt will be open. Saturday’s crowds will be significant, they always are after a mid week storm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Yeah, crowds are a concern also - Platty might be the call - between the drive and the lack of crowds....platty is never crowded...

How has the new lift treated Magic? Anyone been there on a busy day? Managable lines?

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Here's my weather watching quandary:

After having to scrap a day trip MLK weekend and missing the big snow, then deciding to scuttle the following week because of the mini typhoon, my daughter and I are skiing come hell or high water - hopefully that is just a figure of speech. We are driving somewhere friday night and skiing saturday and driving home.

On the table:

Plattekill - Close. 3-1/2 hr. drive. Easy peasy. Nearly 100% open right now despite the rain (anyone ski there recently?). So if they get 8-10" Tuesday, maybe they open for a powder day, but with he cold weather, should be if pretty good shape for Sat. I would think.

Magic - Medium distance. 4-4-1/2 hrs. depend on where we find a room. We've never been despite trying to get there for a good day for the last 2-3 years. Could this be the year? Only half open so not sure Tuesdays snow returns it to all it's glory.

Mad River Glen. Ugg. The Big Drive. 5-1/2 hours, maybe 6 on a Friday evening. But conditions sound surprisingly good, and they got some bonus snow this weekend. A little storm really should put them in prime shape based on the reports I've read. But that's 11-12 hours of driving for 7-8 hours of skiing. (My daughter is not old enough to drive, so I'm behind the wheel the whole way.) So, that kind of suck, but you know, we love that mountain....little afraid of the single line on a nice day after some snow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reports from these three mountains?

I'll be checking the weather constantly at work....gonna be a long week!
    The snow this week won't get it back to 100%. I'm speculating here of course but I would think No Redline, Black Magic, Greenline, Warlock, White tiger or Magician for on map stuff. Lower mountain woods will be low tide but the flatter stuff should go. Up top there still looked like there was an ok base in the woods so ?

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Yeah, crowds are a concern also - Platty might be the call - between the drive and the lack of crowds....platty is never crowded...

How has the new lift treated Magic? Anyone been there on a busy day? Managable lines?
    I think It'll be fine. MLK Sunday was a bit of a zoo but other than that haven't waited more than 2 minutes for a chair all year.

Tuesday's storm is for real.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Tuesday's storm is for real.

That and it's been consistently snowing a little every day... Things are good..

Stowe has hit almost 200 inches so far..10 inches in the last 2 days and more on the way. 5 hours each way for me but me thinks..I'll be there.
    Frozen granular?

Thread Information