• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend Speculation Thread 2/2-3: The Road to Recovery?

tnt1234

Northern ADKs and VT got some surprise snow and sounds like conditions up there were pretty good. S. Vt. and the Cats sounded a little sketchier. Good under the guns kind of reports.

Magic seems to have gotten hit pretty hard, with trail counts nose diving to around 50%.

What will the week bring? Snow in the forecast for Tuesday - is this real? Substantial? Enough o make every region great again?

Polar Vortex back in play, begging the question, how cold is too cold? Will the vortex boogie in time for some human temps Saturday? Or are we destine to triple layers and double puffys?

Let's speculate!

tnt1234

Here's my weather watching quandary:

After having to scrap a day trip MLK weekend and missing the big snow, then deciding to scuttle the following week because of the mini typhoon, my daughter and I are skiing come hell or high water - hopefully that is just a figure of speech. We are driving somewhere friday night and skiing saturday and driving home.

On the table:

Plattekill - Close. 3-1/2 hr. drive. Easy peasy. Nearly 100% open right now despite the rain (anyone ski there recently?). So if they get 8-10" Tuesday, maybe they open for a powder day, but with he cold weather, should be if pretty good shape for Sat. I would think.

Magic - Medium distance. 4-4-1/2 hrs. depend on where we find a room. We've never been despite trying to get there for a good day for the last 2-3 years. Could this be the year? Only half open so not sure Tuesdays snow returns it to all it's glory.

Mad River Glen. Ugg. The Big Drive. 5-1/2 hours, maybe 6 on a Friday evening. But conditions sound surprisingly good, and they got some bonus snow this weekend. A little storm really should put them in prime shape based on the reports I've read. But that's 11-12 hours of driving for 7-8 hours of skiing. (My daughter is not old enough to drive, so I'm behind the wheel the whole way.) So, that kind of suck, but you know, we love that mountain....little afraid of the single line on a nice day after some snow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reports from these three mountains?

I'll be checking the weather constantly at work....gonna be a long week!

Handlebars

Skied Stratton Sunday. Conditions were better than expected. If we get a good storm this week most trails and glades in sovt will be open. Saturday’s crowds will be significant, they always are after a mid week storm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Skied Stratton Sunday. Conditions were better than expected. If we get a good storm this week most trails and glades in sovt will be open. Saturday’s crowds will be significant, they always are after a mid week storm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yeah, crowds are a concern also - Platty might be the call - between the drive and the lack of crowds....platty is never crowded...

How has the new lift treated Magic? Anyone been there on a busy day? Managable lines?

NYDB

Here's my weather watching quandary:

After having to scrap a day trip MLK weekend and missing the big snow, then deciding to scuttle the following week because of the mini typhoon, my daughter and I are skiing come hell or high water - hopefully that is just a figure of speech. We are driving somewhere friday night and skiing saturday and driving home.

On the table:

Plattekill - Close. 3-1/2 hr. drive. Easy peasy. Nearly 100% open right now despite the rain (anyone ski there recently?). So if they get 8-10" Tuesday, maybe they open for a powder day, but with he cold weather, should be if pretty good shape for Sat. I would think.

Magic - Medium distance. 4-4-1/2 hrs. depend on where we find a room. We've never been despite trying to get there for a good day for the last 2-3 years. Could this be the year? Only half open so not sure Tuesdays snow returns it to all it's glory.

Mad River Glen. Ugg. The Big Drive. 5-1/2 hours, maybe 6 on a Friday evening. But conditions sound surprisingly good, and they got some bonus snow this weekend. A little storm really should put them in prime shape based on the reports I've read. But that's 11-12 hours of driving for 7-8 hours of skiing. (My daughter is not old enough to drive, so I'm behind the wheel the whole way.) So, that kind of suck, but you know, we love that mountain....little afraid of the single line on a nice day after some snow.

Thoughts? Opinions? Reports from these three mountains?

I'll be checking the weather constantly at work....gonna be a long week!

The snow this week won't get it back to 100%. I'm speculating here of course but I would think No Redline, Black Magic, Greenline, Warlock, White tiger or Magician for on map stuff. Lower mountain woods will be low tide but the flatter stuff should go. Up top there still looked like there was an ok base in the woods so ?

NYDB

Yeah, crowds are a concern also - Platty might be the call - between the drive and the lack of crowds....platty is never crowded...

How has the new lift treated Magic? Anyone been there on a busy day? Managable lines?

I think It'll be fine. MLK Sunday was a bit of a zoo but other than that haven't waited more than 2 minutes for a chair all year.

mfi

Stowe has hit almost 200 inches so far..10 inches in the last 2 days and more on the way. 5 hours each way for me but me thinks..I'll be there.

tnt1234

As much as I would love to get to MRG, I just don't think I can justify the drive....that leaves Magic or Platty....If 10" isn't going to wake up the whole mountain at Magic, I guess that leaves me leaning toward Platty...

But jeez, Magic is more vert. And we've never been....hmm....tough one.

Zand

Was ready to pull the trigger on a northern VT trip Sunday-Tuesday. Got scared off when I saw the cutter heading our way Monday. Gonna give it a couple days I guess. Was planning on Sugarbush Sunday, Jay Monday, and Burke Tuesday and staying in St J because I don't know anyone at Lyndon anymore.

tnt1234

Was ready to pull the trigger on a northern VT trip Sunday-Tuesday. Got scared off when I saw the cutter heading our way Monday. Gonna give it a couple days I guess. Was planning on Sugarbush Sunday, Jay Monday, and Burke Tuesday and staying in St J because I don't know anyone at Lyndon anymore.

Gonna get cold after the cutter. but mid week in N.vt would be great this week I would think.

Glenn

Super Bowl Sunday...one of the best days to be out on the hill. Most place should be empty after lunch.

cdskier

Gonna get cold after the cutter. but mid week in N.vt would be great this week I would think.

I think you are both talking about 2 different systems. TNT's being this week and Zand's being the one some models are showing for early next week.

tnt1234

I think you are both talking about 2 different systems. TNT's being this week and Zand's being the one some models are showing for early next week.

Ah - got it. Yeah. next week looks problematic.