Another Helmet thread

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Helmet thread

Searched for a recent thread but couldn't find one . Saved my ass today and not on the slope ? Pretty heavy duty snow squall at Bear Creek . Walking towards the lodge with my son and took two steps down a ramp of paver blocks that were iced up . Both feet went out and landed flat on my back whipping my head against the ground . Thirty seconds with the wind knocked out. I was able to ski the rest of the day, hurting but no skull fracture

"Make Greenland Green again"

Glad to hear your noggin is in one piece. You probably want to look into getting a new helmet as most are designed for a single impact.

A few years ago I had a freak fall on a cruiser at okemo that literally smashed my helmet to multiple pieces. My helmet saved me from severe injury that day. When I went to buy a new helmet later that day, the guy in the ski shop asked how much I wanted to spend. My response was, “as much as possible”.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Don't cheap out on a helmet!

I was trying to get my older brother to wear a helmet on a recent ski trip. He's old school and will only wear a knit cap. He said since he isn't skiing in the trees he doesn't need a helmet. But I think hitting the ground or getting run into by other skiers are good reasons to wear one. They also keep my noggin warm on cold days!

I too wear only knitted kap because i ski only on groomed slopes, last 20 years. It all depends of your style, speed and experience really.
    I do fall sometimes, even at 60mph, but i never impact on ground, just slide.
    Would wear helmet off track of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jokso View Post
    I too wear only knitted kap because i ski only on groomed slopes, last 20 years. It all depends of your style, speed and experience really.
    Id speculate that most skiers injured by hitting trees were skiing groomed slopes.

Then they were doing something wrong, and should wear it.
    I'd speculate its from collisions, but I don't collide with people, did sign posts and nets few times.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Then they were doing something wrong, and should wear it.
    I'd speculate its from collisions, but I don't collide with people, did sign posts and nets few times.
    Yeah, we all screw up. Thats partly what the helmet is for. If I collide with a sign post, hopefully Im wearing a helmet.

I love it when people speak in absolutes. Best of luck.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good luck with that attitude.

Thread Information