• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did anyone ski this last storm?

abc

Or the previous one (MLK weekend)?

Or anyone skied this year at all?

The "Trip Report" section has but 5 reports from this year! :(

I don't know about others, I look at the reports to get a sense of the condition in different part of New England. Sure, I can also guess. Or ask. But a lot of the time reading the report gives me the answer.

Not to mention the excitement of at least SOMEONE is having fun in the mountains! Please share the excitement.

It makes me more motivated to go out when the condition maybe iffy. Who knows, I maybe pleasantly surprised! And if I'm not, I can share my mistake and misery too.

The rest of the board, we can all bitch and argue as much as we like. :roll:

legalskier

I've noticed there are no TRs for Hunter though it's obvious from all the chatter that some of us are there a lot. Guess they'd rather argue about blue boy.

Whitey

I noticed the same thing. Seemed a little quiet so far this year on the TRs. I would add that more people are responding about the conditions and their experiences skiing in some of the threads about ski areas (see the Sugarbush and SR threads for example) so that may be bringing down the volume of TR's.

I will help fix that soon. My work kept me off the slopes thru New Years and then a death in the family shortly after New Years wrecked my schedule after that. But I am doing a Smuggs - Whiteface - Killington loop/trip this weekend, 1st time out this year. I'll take pics and post TRs for them. Can't wait to hit Smuggs tomorrow. It will be cold as hell but I think the conditions should be good & probably no one on the mtn.

abc

Perhaps due to the way I use the TR's, I tend to post report when I hit unexpected conditions, good or bad. Or just a short report listing the (expected) condition if I don't see other TR's in the same area at the same time.

Of course when I have a fantastic day, I post just to relive (prolong?:oops:) the good memory! :D

Last edited:

hub8

Or the previous one (MLK weekend)?

Or anyone skied this year at all?

The "Trip Report" section has but 5 reports from this year! :(

I don't know about others, I look at the reports to get a sense of the condition in different part of New England. Sure, I can also guess. Or ask. But a lot of the time reading the report gives me the answer.

Not to mention the excitement of at least SOMEONE is having fun in the mountains! Please share the excitement.

It makes me more motivated to go out when the condition maybe iffy. Who knows, I maybe pleasantly surprised! And if I'm not, I can share my mistake and misery too.

The rest of the board, we can all bitch and argue as much as we like. :roll:
Was at Mt Snow yesterday with my 10 year old. Bluebird day till mid afternoon. Nice dry powder. Some trails are wind scoured and large patches of water crystal like ice base can be seen, others just have a thin dusting of powder coating the ice base. Not as cold as I feared.

Snow squalls right after we left. Near whiteout conditions on VT-9 and VT-100.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using AlpineZone mobile app

mfi

Havent had time to post reports. Day 20. 6 at Jackson the rest at Stowe and 3 at Hunter. Stowe and Jay are doing the best in terms of snow totals with 208 and 260..pretty much Western totals. Only had 1 bad day so far and that was a rainy one at Hunter. December was a bit depressing with all the rain but it cleared up pretty good. Since Stowe just got 31 inches in 7 days..I'll be there this weekend.

cdskier

I'll typically post either in the existing mountain specific thread (Sugarbush in my case as that's where I ski most of the time) or if someone has a general post discussing a particular weekend I may post in there what my experiences were that weekend.

Posting an actual separate trip report isn't my style as it feels redundant to me since I'm already posting in a thread here most likely. I honestly rarely even remember to look at that other forum and just always refresh this one single forum on the board.

Smellytele

I'll typically post either in the existing mountain specific thread (Sugarbush in my case as that's where I ski most of the time) or if someone has a general post discussing a particular weekend I may post in there what my experiences were that weekend.

Posting an actual separate trip report isn't my style as it feels redundant to me since I'm already posting in a thread here most likely. I honestly rarely even remember to look at that other forum and just always refresh this one single forum on the board.

+1

shwilly

MLK Sunday was fantastic.

I don't really do TRs any more. Just too much typing for the payoff, particularly if the ski day was unremarkable. I rarely stop and take pictures while skiing unless they're of my kids, and I don't really post pics of my kids on the Internet.

Bumpsis

I think that posting a trip report is a great "common good" and one of the big upsides of being a member of this community.

Isn't it of great value to get a real feel of what the conditions were during one's visit to given ski area? We all know that what a mountain will put out as "ski report" is at best polite fiction or well massaged message which is rarely a true reflection of what's out there.

However, if someone reports in a TR that they found sheets of ice interrupted by patches of snow while the mountain reports "loose granular" and we contrast that with weather reports, that gives a more accurate picture of what to expect. For most of us, getting out onto the slopes is at the very least a time investment (drive time). It would be good to know if the drive is worth it.

I try to post Trip Reports when I go. This year, so far, has been limited to just two trips, so not much to contribute. But I really do believe that telling everyone what the conditions are like is worth our time.

The best TR are actually the short ones. The long essays that some people write are fine but often bury the important stuff (snow/surface conditions, crowding levels or anything else that you think would be useful to know).Pics are nice, but hardly necessary. Just say share what the conditions were like.

abc

I like it the best is when people put down the "reality" condition on the first line. Example:

https://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/141297-Gunstock-1-1-19 ("real feel" condition: wet, spring condition)

Some of us just like to read the poetic gushing of joy. Others want to read about the details on which trail is skiing like "groomers are like velvet", "natural trails are like kitchen tile" etc.).

I think that makes the forum more complete as a "ski forum". (reading the main forum, it feels more like a bunch of people who USED TO ski, but now just bitch about everything ski related?)

slatham

I've too have been posting fewer trip reports. I am usually at Bromley or Magic. Not many people ski Bromley, and there seems to be plenty of info post about skiing at Magic on its own thread. I was at Pico MLK Saturday and took pics and was to post but by the time I had a chance it was several days and a snowstorm later.....

I really should have posted after this past weekend because the skiing was substantially better than I expected given the rain. Even got on some all natural, ungroomed trails - they were a bit of a challenge but expectation was 100% no-go. Groomers early in day were very sweet, even a few natural groomers. Scraped off in places during the afternoon for sure but again, better than expected. I only went up due to my daughters race, otherwise I wouldn't have. Well worth it.

abc

I've too have been posting fewer trip reports.
there seems to be plenty of info post about skiing at Magic on its own thread.
I've been suspecting that. This confirmed it's widely practiced.

There're sooooo many long running threads on specific mountains! Lots of talk going on related to the mountain, both positive and negative.

I supposed one could wade through all those to get some relevant information on conditions. :(

(or sign up on those mountains facebook group)

cdskier

I've been suspecting that. This confirmed it's widely practiced.

There're sooooo many long running threads on specific mountains! Lots of talk going on related to the mountain, both positive and negative.

I supposed one could wade through all those to get some relevant information on conditions. :(

(or sign up on those mountains facebook group)

I just read all the threads on this main forum whether they pertain to the mountain I go to or not (i.e. I read the Sunday River thread all the time even though I have never even been there). If you read them on a regular basis it probably only takes a few minutes a day to stay up to date.

As for Facebook, some mountains don't have an actual community type group and some of the regular people that post here don't necessarily have Facebook anyway. On the official pages for the mountains, you can't always have open discussions without worry of moderation on some topics/comments. In this forum there is less chance of something negative about a mountain being moderated since the mountain doesn't have control over what is said here.

sankaty

I always mean to make issue a report, but frequently the info is stale by the time I have time. It would be great if there were a very lightweight Web form for issuing TRs that would make it really easy just to put in a few notes about conditions with very little effort on the part of the poster.

I've just been cautiously getting back on the slopes. I had a back injury in March (herniated disc) that kept me out of action for a few months. Pico on MLK Sunday was superb!

Glenn

I've sometimes posted on liner TRs in threads relating to the mountain or weather threads. I'll try and get on in the TR section this weekend.