• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Newbie - Here Now!

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Just arrived. Have a slope side (sort of?) condo. We have passes for Friday and Saturday. Thinking SB Friday and Mt. Ellen, Saturday.

Tips, suggestions and must dos, welcome. I am an intermediate snowboarder, partner is expert snowboarder.

Lots of snow up here..phew..

cdskier

What does "sort of" slope side mean? Which complex are you in?

I think Lincoln Peak Friday and Mt Ellen Saturday is a good play.

For Intermediate...Jester is a classic winding run from the top of Lincoln Peak. The entire Gate House side is good (Sleeper and also Birch Run up on North Lynx). If you want to challenge yourself a little on some ungroomed terrain...Moonshine off of Snowball should be pretty good (all natural trail, but was groomed flat a little over a week ago so should just be starting to bump back up). Lower Domino (accessed via Heaven's Gate Traverse) is another intermediate natural trail that is fun.

At Mt Ellen...Walt's is one of the most fun green trails I've ever skied. Semi-Tough next to it is fun too although will certainly be bumped up a bit. Rim Run, Elbow, Cruiser, and Which Way are all fun blue cruisers.

Expert...well...pretty much just check out everything. At Mt Ellen the natural black diamond trails are a blast (Exterminator, Bravo, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Black Diamond). I personally love Lower FIS too, although it does have a long flat runout at the bottom (and there are warning signs about this at the entrance to the trail).

At Lincoln Peak an expert should definitely take some runs on Castlerock for great all natural, ungroomed terrain.

If your partner likes glades...well...there are tons on map and all should be skiing well right now I would think with the recent snow. Depth and coverage last weekend was pretty good before the new snow this week.

benski

Mt. Ellens crowds are not a problem on Saturday so you should dodge the bullet with the crowds. CD Skier's advice is very good. Semi-tough is a great easy bump run. Probably the easiest place you will find. The Slide Brook lift is a cool ride.

Also for Restaurants, the Lawson brewery is a cool place to hang out after skiing but before 7pm. American Flatbread is the coolest restaurant and top rated on Yelp. I am also a fan of the Mad Taco. The only restaurant I would avoid is Rumbles Kitchen when not skiing, and the Pitcher inn (New management). Also Fit to be Thai'd's food offers make your food insanely spicy, so don't let them add much spice.

cdskier

Also for Restaurants, the Lawson brewery is a cool place to hang out after skiing but before 7pm. American Flatbread is the coolest restaurant and top rated on Yelp. I am also a fan of the Mad Taco. The only restaurant I would avoid is Rumbles Kitchen when not skiing, and the Pitcher inn (New management). Also Fit to be Thai'd's food offers make your food insanely spicy, so don't let them add much spice.

I know someone that orders spice level 5 at Fit 2 Be Thai'd and still asks for extra spice on the side! (Not me...I usually go with a 2 or 3 depending on my mood). The interesting thing with spice is that it can vary greatly from time to time simply due to the spices themselves. I've had 2's that could've been 4's at other times and I've had 3's that tasted like 1's. Fit 2 Be Thai'd is probably the best value in the area though and a great change of pace for something different.

For another restaurant recommendation...I'll always recommend Peasant (although reservations highly recommended there on weekends).

For a more casual restaurant, I like Mad River Barn or Hyde-Away.

Zand

Had a good meal and beer at Worthy Burger last time I was up. Dining in the MRV is very hidden compared to most ski towns.

benski

I know someone that orders spice level 5 at Fit 2 Be Thai'd and still asks for extra spice on the side! (Not me...I usually go with a 2 or 3 depending on my mood). The interesting thing with spice is that it can vary greatly from time to time simply due to the spices themselves. I've had 2's that could've been 4's at other times and I've had 3's that tasted like 1's. Fit 2 Be Thai'd is probably the best value in the area though and a great change of pace for something different.

For another restaurant recommendation...I'll always recommend Peasant (although reservations highly recommended there on weekends).

Does your friend who orders 5s at Fit to be Thai’d have tasting problems or something. I don’t think I have ever been to Peasant.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Thanks all...we did the Mad Marathon and LOVED Waitsfield/Warren. Mad Taco was good but disgustingly dirty (loo smelled like and outhouse)...will try some of these finds. We are staying Snowside Condos, I think, on Mountainside Road? Number 205. We are looking out and can see trails but there condos in front of us. Reks was around the corner. We arrived at night so are not oriented at all.

I love glades, am a newbie....a little scared of tree well death ....will hit Lincoln Peak based on recs and tomorrow, ME. Do folks take that lift from SB to ME and is it really two miles? How long does it take?

Where is the BEST coffee and bakery? We will hit Carrier in Northfield on our way home. It is amazing.

cdskier

Does your friend who orders 5s at Fit to be Thai’d have tasting problems or something. I don’t think I have ever been to Peasant.

No, he just loves spice.

I love glades, am a newbie....a little scared of tree well death ....will hit Lincoln Peak based on recs and tomorrow, ME. Do folks take that lift from SB to ME and is it really two miles? How long does it take?

Where is the BEST coffee and bakery?

For some easier more open glades, Eden off of Lower Snowball and Spring Fling is a good option. Deeper Sleeper off of the Gatehouse side is considered easier as well.

That lift really is two miles and takes a little over 10 minutes, although today it will be too cold to open as they only run it when temps along the entire length are over a certain temp (maybe over 5 the whole way?). On days that it does open, it runs from 10-3.

I'm not a coffee expert so can't comment much there...but in terms of baked goods both Sweet Spot in Waitsfield and the Warren Store in Warren have good stuff.

cdskier

TY CD, so if the lift to ME is not open, how does one get there, walk/shuttle?

TY all..dressed and ready to go..FIRST TRACKS

Shuttles run between the Lincoln Peak and Mount Ellen base areas every 20 minutes I think it is. Personally I usually drive over to ME if I want to start my day there. Walking is not recommended unless you like a really long walk (it is close to a 10 minute drive going ~40MPH).

TSQURD

TY CD, so if the lift to ME is not open, how does one get there, walk/shuttle?

TY all..dressed and ready to go..FIRST TRACKS

There is a shuttle, it stops on the parking lot side of Clay Brook (the big red building w/silo).

As far as ski on/off from where you are staying, its more like ski home on the Out to Lunch trail. Especially on snowboards, the easiest way to get to the base area is probably to walk towards Reks (Good bar food & VT beers), then head through the covered bridge. You'll see the base area from there. Its not far.

Hawk

Mt. Ellens crowds are not a problem on Saturday so you should dodge the bullet with the crowds. CD Skier's advice is very good. Semi-tough is a great easy bump run. Probably the easiest place you will find. The Slide Brook lift is a cool ride.

I totally disagree with your assessment on the picture in and fit to be thai's Ben. But I know you and Howie have your opinions based on your taste and experiences

Hawk

Shuttle - which seems faster than the lift anyway

Nope. Just last weekend we did a test of that. Our group split up. Some took the shuttle and some went via the slidebrook lift. I was with the group that took the lift. We got over to Mt Ellen and did 2 runs on the Northridge before the other group met us at the Glen House. We did the singles line at the bottom. That was the only wait. They waited 5 minutes for the shuttle.

cdskier

I totally disagree with your assessment on the picture in and fit to be thai's Ben. But I know you and Howie have your opinions based on your taste and experiences

People definitely have quite divergent opinions on Adam's cooking. No doubt about that.

HowieT2

Have you been to the pitcher inn since the new crew took over? I was a huge fan for many years but not impressed with the current menu. food was still good, and love the atmosphere but the menu doesnt do it for me.

fwiw-canteen creamery's fried chicken is legit great.

HowieT2

People definitely have quite divergent opinions on Adam's cooking. No doubt about that.

I dont have a problem with the food, nor did I at common man, there's just 'nothing exciting to me on the menu.

cdskier

I dont have a problem with the food, nor did I at common man, there's just 'nothing exciting to me on the menu.

Yea...I originally had typed out in my first response that people either love his food or find it boring and uninspiring. Then I simplified my response. But I'm in the camp that agrees with you. The food was certainly good, but to me lacked creativity and that "wow" factor that you expect at a high end restaurant.