• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont cell phone service

deadheadskier

Staff member
Are you delivering transplant organs? I conduct business in VT for 2 jobs. When needed, I plant myself where reception is not a problem, or let the customer know reception may be questionable, and contact me when they can. Never been an issue.
Good for you?

And while I won't get into specifics of the products I sell in healthcare, I'll say they are high on the list of importance in terms of maintaining life in hospitals.

People in my line of work don't just sell the product, but we are involved in the installation and education of the devices as well. Already this week I've spent 16 hours behind the wheel coming to and from projects in Downeast Maine, Northern VT and metro Boston. It's only Wednesday.

So, no, I can't just say "sorry Dr Smith that I am late to show you how to use the six figure equipment I just sold you and your surgery couldn't go off in time. I was stuck on a hill in Hardwick just east of a maple tree where I could get cell service to speak with Dr Adams at xyz hospital."

My business doesn't work like that. There is no where near enough hours in my day to camp out wherever I can get a signal to conduct business. The dead spots all over VT is a major annoyance for me professionally.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sounds like you'd be better off with a Sat phone then.
It's really only an issue in VT. Most areas of ME and NH that I travel are a lot better. Even going between Caribou and Ft Kent the dead spots are pretty short lived on Verizon. But if I'm traveling from say CVMC in Berlin over to St J? Huge gaps. Or yesterday going from Newport to St A.

ThinkSnow

It's really only an issue in VT. Most areas of ME and NH that I travel are a lot better. Even going between Caribou and Ft Kent the dead spots are pretty short lived on Verizon. But if I'm traveling from say CVMC in Berlin over to St J? Huge gaps. Or yesterday going from Newport to St A.

It does suck that you have to work with inferior equipment to try & get your job done. Good thing you have excellent reception for the AZ mobile app, though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It does suck that you have to work with inferior equipment to try & get your job done. Good thing you have excellent reception for the AZ mobile app, though.
What are you up to now?

Quadrupling down on being a douche?

You like the lack of coverage in VT because you think it's "special"

Others find it annoying, some of us because of business reasons.

And yes, AZ app works fine on a hill in Hardwick east of the maple tree.

cdskier

I don't quite understand how anyone can like the lack of coverage and want it to continue. The "it makes VT special" argument is just silly. If someone wants to get away from technology, just turn the phone off. No one needs to know their phone was off. They can always lie and say they had no coverage. No one would be able to prove it. But it should be available as an option for those that either need or want it. Advocating against expanding/improving coverage is just bizarre. For safety reasons alone improving coverage to at least all major roads should be a goal. If you have an emergency, it is better to be able to call for help rather than wait for someone to happen to stumble across you.

ThinkSnow

What are you up to now?

Quadrupling down on being a douche?

And yes, AZ app works fine on a hill in Hardwick east of the maple tree.

No, but I guess I might have to start? I was actually agreeing with you on inferior equipment, as I also have a job in healthcare, and know how that can be- however it would appear we have very different jobs. As far as reading comprehension goes, what I was saying is that I still think VT is a special place, even after living in New England most of my life. Lack of cell phone coverage while in state is a constant reminder that I'm not in Boston, NYC, or any overpopulated area. Lack of coverage helps me to remember why I'm in VT in the first place- intentionally to be far away from all that. That's just me- so it sucks if your job doesn't allow for that, but I don't think its being a douche to call out someone who is complaining about cell coverage, that is constantly posting on AZ from their cell phone. That is sarcasm. (Unless you're a salesman, then, yes I was intentionally trying to be a douche.)

djd66

,.... and while we are on the subject of what makes VT special - how about paving some of the heavily traveled dirt roads up there?

2Planker

,.... and while we are on the subject of what makes VT special - how about paving some of the heavily traveled dirt roads up there?
Many are on/cross private land... So that usually means No pavement, especially when the owner(s) prefer slower speeds

djd66

Many are on/cross private land... So that usually means No pavement, especially when the owner(s) prefer slower speeds

Roxbury Gap? Lover’s Lane? I have to believe these are public roads.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
You're a monster, mud season is the most "special" part of Vermont living.

:lol:

I the special part of Vermont (and most ski areas in general) is having bathrooms in the basement and none where people can sit? (Bear lodge at Killington, Okemo base lodge, Sundance lodge at Mount Snow, MRG Basebox, new Lincoln Peak base loge at Sugarbush...)

AdironRider

I'm guessing the roads he's talking about are private with easements for public use, often maintained by the county or town in terms of plowing/grading but they aren't going to spend a couple hundred k to pave it. There are lots of these out here in the West where there are some ranches that would require hours long detours to get around otherwise.

kbroderick

Roxbury Gap definitely is, not sure which Lover's Lane you're talking about (the one in Moretown is, but it's not a through road for cars since the bridge got blockaded). You can use the AOT Town Highway maps if you really want to know (every public road in Vermont is supposed to be on them).

djd66

Roxbury Gap definitely is, not sure which Lover's Lane you're talking about (the one in Moretown is, but it's not a through road for cars since the bridge got blockaded). You can use the AOT Town Highway maps if you really want to know (every public road in Vermont is supposed to be on them).

I’m referring to the Lover Lane in Northfield (exit 5 off of 89 - in back of the Mobile station.

BenedictGomez

I’m referring to the Lover Lane in Northfield (exit 5 off of 89 - in back of the Mobile station.

seabass-dumb-and-dumber-e1378819798636.jpg