Who is your favorite musician? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    I'd have to say Clapton. Not a very original choice, but the guy's been very good and very popular for a very long time.
    That was one of the choices that came to my mind.

Ultimately I'm going to go in a bit of an odd direction here though and go with Michael Kamen. The body and breadth of his work is quite impressive. His collaboration with Metallica on the S&M concert/album is what really pushes him over the edge for me personally.

Who is your favorite musician?

Satriani is definitely a niche style. most of his fan base is ppl who play guitar so they appreciate him technically as much as artistically. I'm an exception in that I don't play any instrument but just happen to specifically like his music.

Jimi Hendrix was one of his main influences btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    I had a Joe Jackson record, saw him live back in early 80s when he was big. One of my favorite songs by him is Everything Gives You Cancer.
    Love that song too. We saw JJ last July and, though he was great, I was disappointed that he did not play it.

I am with the OP on this one - Jerry Garcia. I have seen a lot of concerts and no one could bring an entire arena along with them hanging on every note like Garcia could. Yes he was a mess. No he was not the best technical player But he is my favorite all-time guitarist and musician.
    form is a 4 letter word

Love me some Jerry... Miss him every day.

But I also love Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman. Hard to choose...

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    Love me some Jerry... Miss him every day.

But I also love Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman. Hard to choose...
    Yup, throw in some Coltrane, Grant Green and now you're talking.

I was going to simply reply Dylan. He has done more to shape the music of the 20C then any other singer/song writer. But, is he an accomplished musician? Some would argue yes, other's would argue it was his backup band. Think of his years with the Band, Al Kooper and Charlie McCoy. But then again the same could be said about Jerry; he was only as good as Hunter and the rest of the band.

I grew up on Dylan, Dead, Zep, Neil, Stones, Springsteen, Traffic, Santana .... soooo may others, too many to list, but I'd have to say that my favorite of all time and still unsurpassed, and very underrated is Joni Mitchell. She wrote all her own lyrics and music, and invented cords to fit where there were none. Her work in the mid to late 70's, esp. with Jaco Pastorius was pure Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    But then again the same could be said about Jerry; he was only as good as Hunter and the rest of the band.
    "Legion of Mary" and "Old and In the Way" disagrees...

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    "Legion of Mary" and "Old and In the Way" disagrees...

I liked Old and In the Way; have a couple of their discs. Yeah technically speaking not Hunter and "the" band, but other's that backed Jerry, and both of those two other groups of Jerry's, mostly performed either traditional music or covers of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    I liked Old and In the Way; have a couple of their discs. Yeah technically speaking not Hunter and "the" band, but other's that backed Jerry, and both of those two other groups of Jerry's, mostly performed either traditional music or covers of others.
    True - but he was still an incredible musician..
    And one of my favorites. Was a brilliant guitarist and songwriter(music) and a good defacto band leader in the moment.. And his voice could melt me into a puddle some nights.. And his style could switch flawlessly from genre to genre..

Those are important things to being a musician to me..

What Dylan said after Garcia died summed up how massive of a musician Garcia truly was.

"There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great—much more than a superb musician with and uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There are a lot of spaces and advances between the Carter Family, Buddy Holly and say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There is no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information