• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is your favorite musician?

Scruffy

What Dylan said after Garcia died summed up how massive of a musician Garcia truly was.

"There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great—much more than a superb musician with and uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There are a lot of spaces and advances between the Carter Family, Buddy Holly and say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There is no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep."

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I had not read that before but I don't doubt it in the least. Jerry helped Bob out of his funk and helped Bob reconnect with his own music during the Dylan/Dead tour. From what I understand: At the time ( c. 1987 ) Jerry had presented Dylan with an opportunity to tour with the Dead, Dylan was not feeling a connection to his own past, his music from the 60's and was not interested in playing his own old songs. Jerry helped him see the value in those songs and the rest is history.

WoodCore

I have to throw Trey Anastasio into the conversation. Particularly, with some of the projects he's created in the last decade including: The Symphonic Shows, Solo Performances, Ghost of the Forest, Trey Band (Going to see them Saturday in New Haven) and all the "stunts" that Phish has pulled off including Kasvot Vox. A creative force, a virtuoso and fortunately on the reverse trajectory of Jerry G.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can't deny a Trey vote. In my circle of friends, Jerry and Trey would get the top two votes. Third place is a toss up. The devote following of both for decades is kinda unmatched.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Warp Daddy

Im doing lead singers here :

Plant !!

but right now one most of you may never have heard of : Anne Marie Castellano !( YOU TUBE : BAND GEEKS )chick has platinum pipes and with her husband Richie ( best guitarist ive heard in friggin decades ) they cover damn near everyone to PERFECTION ..... BAND GEEKS !!!! Richie is and has been with BOC Blue Oyster Cult

the rest of the geeks in da band are spot on, tight as hell and all have got the goods singing . Drum monkey is in da pocket !

Last edited:

bigbog

Im doing lead singers here :

Plant !!.........

Both he and his band certainly was on top of what was happenning!

Enjoyed Miles Davis's compositions.
Enjoyed Jack Sheldon's sound....(West Coast studio/+jazz trumpeter). Life is sure ironic, has a housemate in Brighton, MA...back in 80s...used to play acoustic guitar(jazz/country) on west coast(70s)...that would get together and jam with Sheldon & others. Had fun stories to tell.
HA!, my "favorite" people in music are OLD stuff:smile: ...been out of music world for ~half a century.. ...with the terrific-NOT environment at my old high school...it was either drugs or hang in the music wing...I think I would've wasted less time in life by choosing drugs:smile::smile:.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Bumper
For me a crazy amount of different great singers from the 60s and 70s
But 1 is John lennon after he left the Beatles

jimk

Bumper
For me a crazy amount of different great singers from the 60s and 70s
But 1 is John lennon after he left the Beatles

He wasn't bad before he left either:p

Some early Beatlemania featuring John's vocals on Twist and Shout:

prsboogie

I have many that would be in the Group catagory but as an individual I think it would be Billy Joel or Elton John. Writer performer talents unlike most. Very different from my usual daily listening but huge influences in my life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using AlpineZone mobile app

SheriGoddart75

Website
menopausecoach.com
I recently discovered the singer LP. Before, I always listened to rock and only rock. Perhaps my taste in music has changed over time.
Tell how your musical tastes have changed over time

dlague

Scott from Stick Figure but that changes based on my musical interest at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimk

I recently discovered the singer LP. Before, I always listened to rock and only rock. Perhaps my taste in music has changed over time.
Tell how your musical tastes have changed over time

LP's Lost On You popped up one day while I was listening to music on youtube about a year ago. Good song. Her voice is really different in a Minnie Mouse sort of way, but very effective. She can whistle almost as good as I can.:spread:

My musical tastes over time continue to broaden. I'm really a sucker for most well-performed music from any genre especially if I have time to listen carefully and/or repeatedly.

My Mom liked all kinds of music too and was a great dancer from back in the days of the jitterbug. When she passed away in 2006 I inherited her CD collection. Really wild mix of stuff including 1940s big band music and Bing Crosby type crooners, Elton John, Leanne Rimes, Tracey Chapman, Josh Groban, Spanish flamenco, Irish music, soothing soundscape/George Winston type music, etc. Her tastes were all over the map. I still listen to her CDs in my car fairly often, and of course, think of her every time I put one on.
A few years back I saw the USAF String Ensemble play a strolling strings version of Led Zeppelin's song Kashmir. Awesome. My Mom would have liked that sort of mash-up.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I got a lot of shit for this a few years back but I've always loved electronic type music. I know most of the crowd here is 90's rock band types (which I like also) but for driving, working, etc. I freaking love BT.

The cool thing is I've been listening to his music since the 90's and it's changed so much. Some of his stuff is really beat heavy, some if is very mellow. Some if it almost .. experimental. I think a lot of it takes classical music cues and some of his work is long, and sounds best when you just shut your eyes.

(no drugs required).