behavior modifications post-covid

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    behavior modifications post-covid

    How will your behavior change in the post-covid world, near term and long term? I'm speaking about skiing stuff, but also everyday life.

    Everyday stuff: I have discovered free grocery store curbside pick-up. There is a supermarket near me that will do your shopping for you for free. Just select your groceries and pay online, then show up at grocery parking lot at appointed time and they come out with a cart and load it in your car. This service saves you an hour wandering around the store looking for everything. And no charge, whereas delivery to your house usually includes a fee. I guess the question is will they still keep doing this after the covid threat is over? Anyway, nice while it lasts.

    skiing: I'll keep packing my own PBJ sandwiches for lunch. But near term, as in next season, there could be fewer apreski beer parties with friends.

    Last edited by jimk; May 16, 2020 at 3:51 PM.

  2. #2
    I've had a near death experience from Viral meningitis in 2006 ,since then I've been a bit of a mild germaphobe. Public bathroom door handles were a bit of a sticking point especially with no towels and only a hand dryer . Winters are Ok I can slip a sleeve down and grab the handle . I've seen a few foot type appliances that you can pull the door open with the top of your foot ...Great idea!. I think I'm going to carry a rag or paper towel with me going into public bathrooms . If there isn't a can, I'll drop it on the floor.

    I keep my masks on my dashboard of my vehicle so the get full sun . I do use gloves half the time and have re used them after hand sanitizing .

    My wife keeps orders going every couple weeks with different markets so she can get items that one store may not have.

    If you can find a way to invent a mask that you can drink beer through somehow you'll be on Shark Tank with 5 offers!!
    "White Privilege ": The ability to suffer through life's universal indignities without blaming another group for them.

    satrianifnr

  3. #3
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    5,332
    Iíve mentioned here recently that I quit drinking for a month, which I havenít done since boot camp over 20 years ago. Lost 10 pounds or so, which I needed to do. Since starting up again, Iím drinking less generally and exercising more regularly. Hopefully that continues.

    Investments aside, our cash flow was unaffected, which was plain dumb luck. We normally spend an above average amount on dining out so that $ has been going toward some new clothes, furniture, electronics. I think Iíll be going out less even when all restrictions are lifted.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Iíve mentioned here recently that I quit drinking for a month, which I havenít done since boot camp over 20 years ago. Lost 10 pounds or so, which I needed to do. Since starting up again, Iím drinking less generally and exercising more regularly. Hopefully that continues.

    Investments aside, our cash flow was unaffected, which was plain dumb luck. We normally spend an above average amount on dining out so that $ has been going toward some new clothes, furniture, electronics. I think Iíll be going out less even when all restrictions are lifted.


    Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    We are in the same boat! We used to do fine dining quite often and that has not happened. We also traveled a lot and between the two we have spent less. But that has translated in to new purchases and we are still ahead!


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  5. #5
    Anybody else deferring routine medical appointments because you don't want to visit a doctor's office? This is not a good thing, but I am guilty of it. Bruised my foot real bad in July, never saw a doc and it's still stiff. Blown off dental cleanings, can feel the difference. About time for annual physical and not sure about doing that. Usually also go to a dermatologist once a year and haven't done that either.

    PS: off topic, someone posted on AZ during April a really funny, accurate, and succinct summary between the philosophies of dem and repub parties. It was something like dems: the haves must look after the have nots and try to give them the same opportunities to succeed, repubs: this is the land of opportunity, everyone can succeed if they just work hard enough. Whoever posted that summary can you send it to me in a PM? I don't want to get this thread locked. Thanks.

  6. #6
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,903
    I've been to 2 doctor's appointments and a dental cleaning since the lockdown.

    Frankly Jim I'm shocked you would feel that way about medicine but let others touch and pack all of your groceries and deliver them to you! Or get on an airplane!

    No way I'm going to let a virus keep me from regular medical and dental visits. At my age (62) I'm way more likely to die from something that would be spotted and dealt with immediately during a missed checkup than Coronavirus.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I've been to 2 doctor's appointments and a dental cleaning since the lockdown.

    Frankly Jim I'm shocked you would feel that way about medicine but let others touch and pack all of your groceries and deliver them to you! Or get on an airplane!

    No way I'm going to let a virus keep me from regular medical and dental visits. At my age (62) I'm way more likely to die from something that would be spotted and dealt with immediately during a missed checkup than Coronavirus.
    Yeah, I have some peculiar reactions toward the covid situation. A lot of it is just what level of personal risk each of us has gotten used to. And not just us, but those inside our bubble such as spouses/kids. I'm not wearing a mask when exercising outdoors. Resisted wearing it in stores until June. But now adhering to local mask requirements. Have not dined in a restaurant since early March. Have done take-out food just once since early March. But have been buying groceries to beat the band, although mostly through online purchases with pickup outside the store.
    I'll wear a mask or gaiter this winter for skiing as required, but only in lift lines and on chairlifts. Will resist wearing one actually skiing down the hill unless bitter cold day.
    On the other hand, I'll be first in line for a vaccine as I'm very comfortable getting flu shots over many decades.

  8. #8
    I'm going to need therapy after this is over. I have OCD but it has gotten worse when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting.
    2012/2013 - Season

    Jiminy Peak - 11/18/2012
    Jay Peak - 12/15/2012, 3/3/13, 4/27

    Mount Snow - 12/17/2012, 1/5/2013, 1/26, 2/13, 3/10, 3/24, 3/30, 4/6, 4/13
    Otis Ridge - 12/29/2012, 1/1/2013, 1/12, 1/27, 2/9, 2/16, 2/24, 3/16


    21 times

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by skijay View Post
    I'm going to need therapy after this is over. I have OCD but it has gotten worse when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting.
    I know a psychologist that is very busy right now, doing much virtually.
    Anxiety runs in my family. I had it pretty bad for about a year when I was in my early 20s, panic attacks, etc. One of my adult kids has it and 2020 has been hard - for sure!
    Last edited by jimk; Sep 11, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Anybody else deferring routine medical appointments because you don't want to visit a doctor's office? This is not a good thing, but I am guilty of it. Bruised my foot real bad in July, never saw a doc and it's still stiff. Blown off dental cleanings, can feel the difference. About time for annual physical and not sure about doing that. Usually also go to a dermatologist once a year and haven't done that either.

    PS: off topic, someone posted on AZ during April a really funny, accurate, and succinct summary between the philosophies of dem and repub parties. It was something like dems: the haves must look after the have nots and try to give them the same opportunities to succeed, repubs: this is the land of opportunity, everyone can succeed if they just work hard enough. Whoever posted that summary can you send it to me in a PM? I don't want to get this thread locked. Thanks.
    I have avoided General Practitioners since they do referrals over the phone. The one visit I had there were no others in the lobby and they took my temperature on entry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:25 AM.