• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who is your favorite musician?

deadheadskier

Staff member
All time favorite. Singular musician, not band. No looking back and saying, "I've loved so many, I can name ten and here's why they were all great!" Not the thread topic. Only interested in responses from those who can reflect back and say this is the guy/girl whose music colored me most.

Probably comes as a surprise to no one, but my answer is

Jerry Garcia

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

While I love Garcia he has been dead for almost 24 years. Bob Weir I have seen so many times more playing with so many incarnations of the dead and each interpretation different. I love Bob now. Jerry was such a let down at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

Tough question.

I started listening to music (other than top 40 force fed shit) around 1974 or so, when I was kinda old enough to think a bit on my own. Dead, Allmans, Traffic, CSNY, Zep, Floyd......Saw my first Jerry show in '79, first Dead in'80, Neil young in '80 or so. CSN shortly after that. My last time seeing Jerry was 1995, like many. My last time seeing Neil was this past September, and he was still great. I've had a 45 or so year history seeing Neil live, 1979-1995 seeing Jerry. All great.

So, gotta go with Neil for current times, and bonus points for smoking a fattie with him once, back in '84. Jerry is the clear winner 'til his last day, but as ST said it's been a long time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No doubt Garcia fell off a cliff in 91. Pretty much right when Hornsby left the band. Well documented that Welinick got him back into heroin and he was a shadow of his former greatness until he died.

But his body of work from 65-91 is still the most awe inspiring music of anyone I've ever heard til this day. From the diversity and evolution of the Grateful Dead career to Old and in the Way, Legion of Mary, Reconstruction and later R&B Motown perfection with JGB, I still turn to his tunes all these years later after he died.

Neil is a great choice too. Definitely top 5 for me.

Modern times it might be Brad Barr. His catalog from the Slip to Surprise Me Mr Davis to the Barr Brothers covers unbelievable ground.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Joe Satriani. Without a doubt. Satch's music has been the soundtrack of my life, more than any other artist or band, for >25 years. (I'm 45 now.)
My screen name borrows from the title of one of his signature songs.
(Song starts around 2:00):
https://youtu.be/zDfy67my2So

Wow ! Smooth . I'm not a big music guy but I'm embarrassed that I've never heard of him .
Thanks

jimk

I'd have to say Clapton. Not a very original choice, but the guy's been very good and very popular for a very long time. If Hendrix had lived and had more output he might be at the top for me. He was a paradigm shifter. I also love SRV.
I'll have to give Satriani more listens. I know of him, but never got into his music a lot, which is weird because I love all good guitar players. I'm biased towards blues-rockers. Neil Young is a tremendous talent too in a different way. Classic Neil Young performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

If I had to pick just one favorite song it might be La Grange by ZZ Top. I like boogie music:)

Quietman

Joe Jackson, I've followed him from his Look Sharp album and he is still putting out new music. Harry Chapin was also an extremely underrated songwriter, and died way too young. If you are looking for passion in a performance, check this out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1cxP3JT0c
Lots of his stuff is very different from Taxi and Cats in the Cradle.

jimk

I had a Joe Jackson record, saw him live back in early 80s when he was big. One of my favorite songs by him is Everything Gives You Cancer.

cdskier

I'd have to say Clapton. Not a very original choice, but the guy's been very good and very popular for a very long time.

That was one of the choices that came to my mind.

Ultimately I'm going to go in a bit of an odd direction here though and go with Michael Kamen. The body and breadth of his work is quite impressive. His collaboration with Metallica on the S&M concert/album is what really pushes him over the edge for me personally.

SkiingInABlueDream

Satriani is definitely a niche style. most of his fan base is ppl who play guitar so they appreciate him technically as much as artistically. I'm an exception in that I don't play any instrument but just happen to specifically like his music.

Jimi Hendrix was one of his main influences btw.

crank

I had a Joe Jackson record, saw him live back in early 80s when he was big. One of my favorite songs by him is Everything Gives You Cancer.

Love that song too. We saw JJ last July and, though he was great, I was disappointed that he did not play it.

I am with the OP on this one - Jerry Garcia. I have seen a lot of concerts and no one could bring an entire arena along with them hanging on every note like Garcia could. Yes he was a mess. No he was not the best technical player But he is my favorite all-time guitarist and musician.

Scruffy

Love me some Jerry... Miss him every day.

But I also love Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman. Hard to choose...

Yup, throw in some Coltrane, Grant Green and now you're talking.

I was going to simply reply Dylan. He has done more to shape the music of the 20C then any other singer/song writer. But, is he an accomplished musician? Some would argue yes, other's would argue it was his backup band. Think of his years with the Band, Al Kooper and Charlie McCoy. But then again the same could be said about Jerry; he was only as good as Hunter and the rest of the band.

I grew up on Dylan, Dead, Zep, Neil, Stones, Springsteen, Traffic, Santana .... soooo may others, too many to list, but I'd have to say that my favorite of all time and still unsurpassed, and very underrated is Joni Mitchell. She wrote all her own lyrics and music, and invented cords to fit where there were none. Her work in the mid to late 70's, esp. with Jaco Pastorius was pure Genius.

Scruffy

"Legion of Mary" and "Old and In the Way" disagrees...

:)

:lol: I liked Old and In the Way; have a couple of their discs. Yeah technically speaking not Hunter and "the" band, but other's that backed Jerry, and both of those two other groups of Jerry's, mostly performed either traditional music or covers of others.

Funky_Catskills

:lol: I liked Old and In the Way; have a couple of their discs. Yeah technically speaking not Hunter and "the" band, but other's that backed Jerry, and both of those two other groups of Jerry's, mostly performed either traditional music or covers of others.

True - but he was still an incredible musician..
And one of my favorites. Was a brilliant guitarist and songwriter(music) and a good defacto band leader in the moment.. And his voice could melt me into a puddle some nights.. And his style could switch flawlessly from genre to genre..

Those are important things to being a musician to me..

deadheadskier

Staff member
What Dylan said after Garcia died summed up how massive of a musician Garcia truly was.

"There's no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don't think eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great—much more than a superb musician with and uncanny ear and dexterity. He is the very spirit personified of whatever is muddy river country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn't only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he'll ever know. There are a lot of spaces and advances between the Carter Family, Buddy Holly and say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There is no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep."

Scruffy

True - but he was still an incredible musician..
And one of my favorites. Was a brilliant guitarist and songwriter(music) and a good defacto band leader in the moment.. And his voice could melt me into a puddle some nights.. And his style could switch flawlessly from genre to genre..

Those are important things to being a musician to me..

Agreed. Love Jerry. He was a force, a gentle force, but a force nevertheless.