Rental cars for western travel - Page 12

AlpineZone

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    So using that logic we should just trash all mountainside forests above 3,000 feet--because the bird is actually more in danger when it's in a different country?
    If somehow you arrived at that as your logical conclusion, then you dont do "logic" well.

Last edited by BenedictGomez; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:49 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
    We have a bunch of NYC/NJ folks lecturing New England folks that they should erode their environment and what makes New England special, in order to go more pro-development - to make it look more like NJ?

We aint gots no stinking birds (or trees) in NJ - we love our over developed urban NJ ‘forest’ mudflats! You NE folks should copy us!
    I'm beginning to think this guy doesn't travel much.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Meanwhile one of the people making some of these comments is in Boston according to his profile. I don't see how that is substantially different from NJ.
    Probably 70'ish% of NJ is far more naturally beautiful than Boston & near environs, so that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Probably 70'ish% of NJ is far more naturally beautiful than Boston & near environs, so that is different.
    Agreed...I was referring more to the metro NYC suburb areas of NJ since that's what Teleskier implied all of NJ is like. Although even Paterson has a pretty amazing beautiful waterfall in it!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    You wanna know why I hate that damn bird personally? This is why. There is not a single developed glade above roughly 2800 feet elevation at Wildcat.

It's bullshit. F that bird.

I should also mention that what is available via side country is all unsanctioned cuts done by locals 20+ years ago. Or so I'm told.
    Attachment 25321
    Once again it's not the bird's fault. In this situation it's the state of new Hampshire's fault. Overall wildcat now has more on-map glades than ever before! I remember going there when I was young and there were only 2 "tree areas" both of which were not named.

But back then Wildcat was different. They made snow on Upper Wildcat. They also had a terrain park. In a way wildcat has continued to become more hardcore in recent years which is what is awesome.

I also think that the state should be a little less strict when it comes to new glades over trails. A new trail can cause major damage to bird habitat. A new glade--well the birds still have trees to nest on! Particularly if it's hand-cut.

We aint gots no stinking birds (or trees) in NJ - we love our over developed urban NJ ‘forest’ mudflats! You NE folks should copy us!
    I go to NJ every year. There are beautiful parts. However there certainly is lack of respect for wildlife there.

Beach towns like Ocean City and wildwood have removed or built over their sand dunes in places to construct boardwalks. And besides destroying bird habitat, they've removed the natural flood protection system the island needs to survive and prevent flooding from hurricanes like Sandy and Irene.

Once again it's not the bird's fault. In this situation it's the state of new Hampshire's fault. Overall wildcat now has more on-map glades than ever before! I remember going there when I was young and there were only 2 "tree areas" both of which were not named.

But back then Wildcat was different. They made snow on Upper Wildcat. They also had a terrain park. In a way wildcat has continued to become more hardcore in recent years which is what is awesome.

I also think that the state should be a little less strict when it comes to new glades over trails. A new trail can cause major damage to bird habitat. A new glade--well the birds still have trees to nest on! Particularly if it's hand-cut.
    No, it is not the State of NH's fault. Wildcat is on WMNF land, thus they are regulated by the federal government. So the United States is at fault for blocking any high elevation glading on Wildcat. The state for all I know might want this to happen to increase draw but what the state wants in this case is irrelevant.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Is the irony not lost on anyone that what we have here is…

We have a bunch of NYC/NJ folks lecturing New England folks that they should erode their environment and what makes New England special, in order to go more pro-development - to make it look more like NJ?

Now THAT abc is IRONY! And hutzpah.
    Totally misinformed opinion. Outsiders from NH have actually blocked development in the past as well as pushed for it. Loon's South Peak expansion was haulted and delayed for over a decade by opponents from outside of NH blocking it on account of using Loon Pond as a snowmaking reservoir and replenishing it from the Pemi. They claimed ecological damage was being done to the pond even though study after study showed Loon Pond was a dead pond. Not that the state and local residents all wanted this expansion. So it can go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    No, it is not the State of NH's fault. Wildcat is on WMNF land, thus they are regulated by the federal government. So the United States is at fault for blocking any high elevation glading on Wildcat. The state for all I know might want this to happen to increase draw but what the state wants in this case is irrelevant.

100% true. And for Wildcat to challenge and change this reality, they'd be looking at six figure legal bills. That's something a small revenue ski area would never be willing to do.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

A new trail can cause major damage to bird habitat. A new glade--well the birds still have trees to nest on! Particularly if it's hand-cut.
    No, it really cant.

With a new trial, you're talking about an infinitesimally small area even on a localized basis, let alone on a regional basis. You act as if they're clear-cutting 200 acres when a small portion of a single trail at >= 3,000 foot elevation goes in. Your belief is mathematically ridiculous.

Thread Information