• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rental cars for western travel

BenedictGomez

I thin k they have Thrushs in Jersey too . Tried to identify this guy taken at Barrs landing in Sandy Hook last year .
View attachment 25323

Nope, it's a juvenile European Starling. The beak turns yellow when it gets some age. I shoot every one of them one I see, it's one of 2 invasive species (House Sparrow) that wrecks havoc on our native bird populations. Nasty things, and really smart too.

Dirty White Boy

Nope, it's a juvenile European Starling. The beak turns yellow when it gets some age. I shoot every one of them one I see, it's one of 2 invasive species (House Sparrow) that wrecks havoc on our native bird populations. Nasty things, and really smart too.

Oh good Lord. Dude, that bird is practically everywhere in the United States; you're not going to eradicate them by "shooting" individuals. So why would you do it?

BenedictGomez

There will likely soon be a more guaranteed, and much cheaper, AWD solution for mountain vacation travel.

LYFT is going after the rental car companies & will soon start car rentals. You get a $20 credit to take a Lyft to & from the renter. I'm sure UBER will soon copy that idea rather than risk being left behind in a new, potential market.

I will 100% be doing this on future ski vacations rather than hoping I'm provided with AWD or 4WD.

KustyTheKlown

ive had good results with turo. its airbnb for cars essentially so it really depends on the person providing the car, but ive used it at least 5 times and never had an issue. using it in co over xmas. $400 for a nissan rogue awd for a week. rented by what seems to be a company and not a person (many vehicle listings, a company as the user instead of a person, excellent reviews across the board). the best is that i just go to the parking lot, use a lockbox, and pay $20 to get it out of the lot. no rental counter or taxi to off airport locaiton required.

abc

What happens if there's a mechanical issue with the car (not anybody's fault, say a flat tire or you lock your key in the car)? With regular rental car company, they either come with another key, or another car. And you're on your merry way to resume your vacation.

What about accidents. Again, you'll get another car if you rent from most "regular" rental company. Does Turo have replacement cars ready to deliver to you?

Also, do you take out collision waver or rely on your own policy (which typically covers rental cars)?

abc

24/7 roadside assistance per the website

my insurance covers me, and the car owners policy covers them. you have the option to purchase supplemental

https://turo.com/en-us/trust-and-safety
I have AAA, which will tow my car to a garage if my car is disabled. But it won’t give me another car to continue my trip.

What does Turo’s “Roadside assistances” covers?

It had also happened once my rental car had one of its headlight burned out. I got another car at the nearest agency (different from the one I pick up my car).

jg17

There will likely soon be a more guaranteed, and much cheaper, AWD solution for mountain vacation travel.

LYFT is going after the rental car companies & will soon start car rentals. You get a $20 credit to take a Lyft to & from the renter. I'm sure UBER will soon copy that idea rather than risk being left behind in a new, potential market.

I will 100% be doing this on future ski vacations rather than hoping I'm provided with AWD or 4WD.

This is awesome, I hadn't heard of this before! We will still need 1-2 more cars for our Banff trip so I'll look into this.

My buddy said he talked to Enterprise on the phone, and they said he could call a few days ahead to ensure we got a 4wd car from the Calgary airport. Maybe it's a Canadian thing where they will guarantee it?

kingslug

I rented a new jeep grand cherokee in utah..nice..and fit 4 of us and a ton of luggage..AWD..all the bells and whistles..750 for the week..it worked pretty well driving up lcc in a storm