• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rental cars for western travel

cdskier

There's nothing wrong with the name.

The problem is you don't understand the difference between extermination & extinction.

Wait a minute...so you mean to tell me that the exterminator that comes to my house to spray for insects isn't actually getting rid of them everywhere? I feel so ripped off now! :-( :thumbdown: :sadwalk:

Dirty White Boy

Yes it is.

It is also bizarre that you apparently seem to know nothing about this bird and its relation to skiing in the northeast if you're asking this question...

I know everything about this bird and its relationship to Northeast skiing. There's plenty of places to ski in the Northeast without harming this threatened species' habitat. And if comes down to a choice between some weekend warrior from NJ or Connecticut or the bird, well....that choice is easy.

Dirty White Boy

There's nothing wrong with the name.

The problem is you don't understand the difference between extermination & extinction.

It costs $125 to register a business name, and an additional $275 for the Federal trademarking. I'm not ponying-up $400 because some keyboard warrior didn't pay attention in 5th grade English class.

We're not going to harm natural habitat in order to build a lift to winch your fat ass up a mountain. Run-along now, little one.

BenedictGomez

I know everything about this bird and its relationship to Northeast skiing. There's plenty of places to ski in the Northeast without harming this threatened species' habitat.

The Bicknell's Thrush is not a threatened species; its' petition for threatened status was soundly rejected by The US Department of Fish & Wildlife (it was quite the scientific bitch-slapping actually).

One might think someone who, "knows everything about his bird" would have known that.

Dirty White Boy

Shut up asshat:
It's conservation status is "Vulnerable". You know who's staus is not "vulnerable"? Trashbags from New Jersey.

Threats
Its numbers are declining in some parts of its already limited range as a result of habitat degradation. Scientists believe that industrial pollution is one of the main reasons for the decline of the red spruce, an important element in Bicknell's thrush habitat in the United States. Airborne heavy metals may also damage high-elevation forests in the northeastern United States. Furthermore, based on expected substantial carbon dioxide increases by the end of the century, scientists predict a radical reduction of balsam fir forest in the eastern United States. If average global temperatures increase and forests change as much as predicted, Bicknell's thrush habitat is very likely to be altered in ways that may seriously affect the species' survival. Indeed, models predict that Bicknell’s thrush will lose more than 50% of its breeding habitat over the next 30 years.[18] Furthermore, recreational development, telecommunication towers and windmills increase is a major cause of habitat fragmentation and deterioration.

Industrial forestry practices, although possibly harmful, may be modified to aid in conservation efforts to protect Bicknell's thrush. While more study is needed, the bird's apparent acceptance of certain commercial second-growth forest gives promise to possibilities of man-made "growing" Bicknell's thrush habitats in the future.

Bicknell’s thrush has a higher concentration of Mercury in its blood than any lower-elevation Catharus thrush.[19] Mercury level increases greatly with altitude and its concentration bioaccumulate in the food web, probably explaining why it decreases as breeding season advances and birds begging to feed more on fruits.[19] High Mercury concentrations may cause reproductive impairment.[19]

There is also considerable concern about the degradation of Bicknell's thrush's wintering habitats. The Dominican Republic's native forests are under considerable pressure from naturally occurring events such as hurricanes, as well as changes from agricultural activities, particularly at low altitudes. The forested lands of Haiti have been almost completely eliminated, and in Cuba, most of the known suitable habitat exists only in protected parklands.[13]

In all seriousness dude, leave the bird alone. We don't need to build lifts in the few places these birds thrive.

BenedictGomez

In all seriousness dude, leave the bird alone. We don't need to build lifts in the few places these birds thrive.

In all seriousness dude, quoting Wikipedia isnt a good look. The actual scientific findings are better.

A small excerpt from the scientific bitch-slapping the Eco-extremists received:

Based on the species' abundance and distribution in its breeding and wintering locations, the continued presence of adequate habitat quality and quantity to meet the species' breeding and overwintering needs, and our consideration of the species' future distribution, abundance, and diversity, we conclude that the Bicknell's thrush is likely to remain at a sufficiently low risk of extinction that it will not become in danger of extinction in the foreseeable future (i.e., approximately 30 years) and thus does not meet the definition of a threatened species under the Act.

There is nothing "threatened" or "endangered" about Bicknell's Thrush.

It is simply one of an increasingly larger (and growing) number of organisms that have been attempted to be used as a wedge to stop any & all development by eco-extremists. Ironically, these eco-extremists are doing more harm than good to the environment and to legitimately threatened species, by wasting the government's time, money, and scientific resources that could better be used to protect actual threatened species.

Dirty White Boy

The wiki was well sourced or I wouldn't have used it. And you're using a finding by Trump's Fish and Wildlife Service. "Actual scientific findings" Ha! Your President doesn't believe in science. Major fail.

The species is "Vulnerable". That's enough for me to block ski lift development in their habitat. Again if it comes down to the bird or some fat ass from New Jersey.........easy. Bird wins every time. They're a lot cooler than Jersey fat asses.

Waddle along now, fat boy. You're dismissed.

BenedictGomez

Did FBGM create a new identity by any chance?

I initially thought that too, as there are similarities, but this one's more like, "teenage boy rambling on about things he knows nothing about", whereas FBGM is more, "intentional hard-core douche".

gregnye

Welcome to the Thread!

If you dont get baptized by making some idiotic comment and having an AZ old timer rip you a new one then did you even join this forum?

I mean I've always wondered why BenedictGomez hated Bicknell's Thrush so much he has it in his signature. I've just never asked.

I mean it's just a bird. The bird has no idea it's blocking ski area expansion. If anything, a better use of time would be promoting how to protect this bird's habitat through legislature that allows ski areas to expand in harmony with the bird rather than suggesting that it would be better to exterminate every bird ever.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The issue is environmentalists have no tolerance for development and bird harmony. They basically want every acre in New England between 3000-3500k elevation off limits to development because of that one bird.

In NH there are probably close to 200 peaks with elevation above 3k feet. There's ski area development on 5 of them. Any time these areas have proposed expansion at elevation, the environmentalists march their beloved Bicknells thrush into the conversation.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

The issue is environmentalists have no tolerance for development and bird harmony. They basically want every acre in New England between 3000-3500k elevation off limits to development because of that one bird.

In NH there are probably close to 200 peaks with elevation above 3k feet. There's ski area development on 5 of them. Any time these areas have proposed expansion at elevation, the environmentalists march their beloved Bicknells thrush into the conversation.

THIS!

A far bigger issue than what a handful of ski areas in New England do is the deforestation in places way south where the birds spend a significant portion of their time.

Let's be realistic...the bird's population is not being impacted by a few trails or lift lines being cut in New England. Like DHS said, that represents a tiny fraction of their nesting territory.

Environmentalists do themselves and their causes a major disservice when they take things to the extreme...