Rental cars for western travel - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Snow tires on rental SUVs, is that even a thing on the 4WD models?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Snow tires on rental SUVs, is that even a thing on the 4WD models?
    Not that I know of

Yeah, it is unfortunate US rental car companies are pathetic with respect to snows or chain rentals. In New Zealand, no problem renting chains through Avis, at least out of Queenstown.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Vermont almost passed a law requiring snow tires on rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Vermont almost passed a law requiring snow tires on rentals.
    Not a bad idea. Any time it’s bellow 40, snow tires are beneficial. They might save fuel.

With the added cost of an SUV with 4WD you might be better off getting a sedan and getting chains from Les Schwab tires. Keep the receipt and if you don't use them you can return them. The $75 cost will be less than the added cost of guaranteeing a 4WD SUV. Also, the drive up Century Road is not too difficult. Bachelor also has a ski bus that leaves from Bend. It's an awesome mountain if you've never been. When are you planning on being there?

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    With the added cost of an SUV with 4WD you might be better off getting a sedan and getting chains from Les Schwab tires. Keep the receipt and if you don't use them you can return them. The $75 cost will be less than the added cost of guaranteeing a 4WD SUV. Also, the drive up Century Road is not too difficult. Bachelor also has a ski bus that leaves from Bend. It's an awesome mountain if you've never been. When are you planning on being there?
    This.

Try for good deal on 4 wd, but don't fear if not available, work rental agency for better deal on whatever they eventually do give you for vehicle. Mt. B is surrounded by high desert and not especially treacherous winter driving, unlike Tahoe which can range from drought/no-problem to six foot dumps and mandatory chains/4wd.

Six years ago I flew into SFX for a two week ski trip. Went up to Mt. Bachelor for three ski days, Then a few days in N. Lake Tahoe, then sightseeing in San Fran for a few days, then 5 days at Kirkwood/S-A-T/Heavenly. I had reserved a good two week rate of something like $550 total for a small 4wd SUV at SFX, but none available when I got there because storm in Tahoe pushed up demand. After 30 minutes of consternation, I took a minivan for same price. Rental guy suggested I buy $60 chains and just put them on if needed. I had a group of four, so minivan was actually very functional for us and our gear. I needed the chains exactly one day while driving to S-A-T for an outstanding powder day, then at end of trip I threw them away at motel dumpster. Best $60 insurance policy I ever bought

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Just try and rent a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Awesome in snow even without snows.

Quote Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
    We will be there 2/20 to 2/27. My son moved out to Bend and works the mountain during the winter (then up to High Cascades camp at Mount Hood for the summer as the media guy). This will be our first time to Mt Bachelor. He's warned us that the roads aren't maintained the way they are in the East (someone above mentioned the cinder vs salt) and there have been a couple of nasty days (one especially over MLK weekend). We are doing an Airbnb closer to the mountain so not sure the bus from Bend would work, but thank you for that suggestion. My son uses it to get to and from work most days - didn't think about US using it!

I think you just need to get lucky, unless you rent a larger SUV class where any possible vehicle has 4WD. As previously mentioned, no guarantee of AWD on even the smaller SUVs/crossovers.

I got lucky (definitely a bunch of dumb luck) today on my drive JAC-SLC. Originally booked a standard sedan (probably a bad idea to begin with), and asked at pickup if they had anything AWD. Turned out they needed to get a Suburban down to SLC for tomorrow morning so they were able to send me with that.
    Joe

2018/19 - 36 days
    Hunter - 11/17, 11/25, 12/8, 1/26, 3/16, 3/24
    Big Boulder - 11/18, 11/23, 1/4, 1/11, 1/18, 3/3
    Mount Snow - 11/24, 4/6, 4/7
    Camelback - 12/15
    Waterville Valley - 12/29
    Jack Frost - 1/6, 1/12, 1/19, 1/27, 2/23, 3/2
    Mountain Creek - 1/13, 1/15, 3/8, 3/9, 3/17
    Jackson Hole - 2/3, 2/4, 2/5
    Park City - 2/7, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10
    Wachusett - 2/16