Rental cars for western travel

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Rental cars for western travel

Hi all - hoping to tap the wisdom of those who travel west to ski. We are headed to Mount Bachelor in a few weeks and trying to find a rental vehicle for the 4 of us (plus a possible 5th). No sites I've looked at indicate whether vehicles are 4 wheel/all wheel or if ski racks are available. Do I need to make some phone calls? Or is there an easier way to find something to get us around for a week?
    Thanks in advance.

Good luck with that. I've experienced this dilemma each time I've tried to rent out west, and you have a better chance learning the codes to open the nuclear football than you will getting a 100% "yes" or "no" on 4WD on a blind SUV rental. The good news is, apparently, most SUVs in the major's fleets are in fact either AWD or 4WD, but in order to guarantee that I imagine calling direct is your only hope.

EDIT: If you are 100% committed to 4WD, however, do so in advance. I was at the rental counter in SLC a few years ago getting a sedan, and a storm was coming in, so they skyrocketed the cost of rentals of the 4WD/AWD vehicles. And I do mean skyrocket. As in well over $1,000 increase for a week over what the same vehicle was going for just the day or two before.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Feb 2, 2019 at 7:14 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    If you are 100% committed to 4WD, however, do so in advance. I was at the rental counter in SLC a few years ago getting a sedan, and a storm was coming in, so they skyrocketed the cost of rentals of the 4WD/AWD vehicles. And I do mean skyrocket. As in well over $1,000 increase for a week over what the same vehicle was going for just the day or two before.

I appreciate the help from all, thanks! Guess I'll be making some phone calls early this week (with the understanding there will be no guarantee).

I am very fortunate. I have been out west twice. Once to ski Abasin, Keystone, Copper, and the next was Utah to ski Snowbird, Canyons, PC, Deer Valley, and Snowbird. Those were great trips, but my parents own a 2nd home near Bethel, ME. So with a 3 1/4 hr drive up, I can ski SR, Wildcat, Mt Abram, Black Mtn of Maine, and have the options of hitting Loon, or Cannon on the way up. I really enjoyed the trips out west, but with the cost and other considerations, it probably won't happen again. Also, I live 15 minutes from the Crotch, which is VERY convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post

Every western trip I ask… is it really worth all this stress and hassle?

It makes a NE car ski trip seem like bliss!! For much less cost. Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    I really enjoyed the trips out west, but with the cost and other considerations, it probably won't happen again. Also, I live 15 minutes from the Crotch, which is VERY convenient.
    You get what you pay for.

Is the effort worth it? Really? REALLY? Wow. Even bad western conditions are still waaaaaay better than the normal northleast drek. Lived in NE for 40+ years and the last 10 wouldn't bother to go north. Life's too short for that, even with a bud with a ski-in/out on Bear mountain.

If you can't find a way to make a west trip work, you're doing it wrong. Really wrong.

Chains - go on ebay and get the ones that look like oversized tie wraps. work fine and easy on and off. Rentals - All of the places at SLC have a lot of 4wd vehicles. No issues. Only advice if DO NOT go to Budget in downtown SLC, they'll rip you off with the car and airport fees and everything else. Same at Budget at YVR - notorious for ripping people off for non-existent problems and damage
    12-13 Season
    Dec 10-? Whistles
    Jan 7-12 - SLC
    Feb 4-9 - SLC
    Mar 3-12 - Verbier
    April - Whistler
    Counting ski days at <1k berms:
    Life's too short to SKI THE EAST

Quote Originally Posted by big_vert View Post
    Even bad western conditions are still waaaaaay better than the normal northleast drek.
    This stupid nonsense argument again?

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    This stupid nonsense argument again?
    Welcome it's summer again.

Very tough to get a guarantee on that
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Try to get a 4wd, since many places will require chains with 2wd if it snows. I was able to rent an SUV when I visited Colorado on vacation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Anyone used Turo?

Thread Information