Rental cars for western travel

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hi all - hoping to tap the wisdom of those who travel west to ski. We are headed to Mount Bachelor in a few weeks and trying to find a rental vehicle for the 4 of us (plus a possible 5th). No sites I've looked at indicate whether vehicles are 4 wheel/all wheel or if ski racks are available. Do I need to make some phone calls? Or is there an easier way to find something to get us around for a week?
    Thanks in advance.

Good luck with that. I've experienced this dilemma each time I've tried to rent out west, and you have a better chance learning the codes to open the nuclear football than you will getting a 100% "yes" or "no" on 4WD on a blind SUV rental. The good news is, apparently, most SUVs in the major's fleets are in fact either AWD or 4WD, but in order to guarantee that I imagine calling direct is your only hope.

EDIT: If you are 100% committed to 4WD, however, do so in advance. I was at the rental counter in SLC a few years ago getting a sedan, and a storm was coming in, so they skyrocketed the cost of rentals of the 4WD/AWD vehicles. And I do mean skyrocket. As in well over $1,000 increase for a week over what the same vehicle was going for just the day or two before.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Feb 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Very tough to get a guarantee on that
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Try to get a 4wd, since many places will require chains with 2wd if it snows. I was able to rent an SUV when I visited Colorado on vacation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    If you are 100% committed to 4WD, however, do so in advance. I was at the rental counter in SLC a few years ago getting a sedan, and a storm was coming in, so they skyrocketed the cost of rentals of the 4WD/AWD vehicles. And I do mean skyrocket. As in well over $1,000 increase for a week over what the same vehicle was going for just the day or two before.

I appreciate the help from all, thanks! Guess I'll be making some phone calls early this week (with the understanding there will be no guarantee).

Anyone used Turo?

Quote Originally Posted by MommaBear View Post
    Anyone used Turo?
    A co-worker just used it last week for an SLC trip. It was 3 younger guys so I suspect they went cheap. He said the car smelled and was generally dirty.

I almost always reserve a 4WD out west and Iíve never failed to get it. But Iíve also received no guarantees beforehand.

I recommend Autoslash.com for a good deal. Itís a little weird because they get back to you with a quote but it worked out well for me and others I know.

I researched this for my trip to bc because we have 3 hour drive from Spokane. The suvs r awd. They generally don’t have ski racks to offer nor do they have snow tires.

The best bet for being more likely than not to have 4WD/AWD is to rent a regular or full size SUV and skip the smaller ones. Most of the small SUV's tend to be FWD only if that is an option on that particular model. When I have had ford explorers, Chevy Tahoes, etc, they have always been AWD/4WD but when I have gone smaller (Ford Escape comes to mind) it has been FWD. Bachelor this time of year you need AWD/4WD as that is required on the highway to the mountain from Bend (or snow tires/chains which you will not get in the US from rentals). Been out there when it snows, they only grit the roads, no salt used. I had an Escape on 1 trip and I could feel it sliding (and that was in April).

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    I researched this for my trip to bc because we have 3 hour drive from Spokane. The suvs r awd. They generally donít have ski racks to offer nor do they have snow tires.
    Denver and SLC have much more traffic going ski areas. And a few of them really demand snow tires. I would suspect itís much easier to make money off offering snow tires and ski racks in those cities.

Thread Information