• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain (NH) 2/2....Sunday River 2/3

Euler

LOTS of snow in northern New England. Holy s$#t!!! I had an opportunity to meet my daughter at Sunday River yesterday for a ski day, so I took advantage of the Freedom Alliance part of my Magic pass and visited Black Mountain NH on the way up on Saturday.

Black Mountain is a locals hill in Jackson, NH...close to Wildcat. It's a low key place, awesome for locals, but not worth a trip as a destination. The terrain was mostly intermediate in nature . the few steeps were short with long run outs. One thing I noted in my geeky fascination with ski areas and lifts was that on their double char, there is no clamp holding the chair to the wire rope...rather the chair to rope connection seemed to be made by weaving the attachment of the chair hanger directly into the wire rope...I'd never seen that before. Anyway, it was a fun few hours there...tons of snow, dry and squeaky.

Sunday River....best conditions I've ever had there! My daughter and I skied from 8-3 and I'm feeling it today! We spent the morning in Oz/Jordan enjoying Flying Monkey, Wizards Gulch, the open snowfields in OZ...Lost Prncess and Emerald City maybe? Also between 8 and 10 the corduroy on Rogue Angel was pretty sweet! Crowds (not too bad) showed up around 9:30 and groomers got scraped down to dirty yellow boiler plate in parts. Tom Brady was there! In his Uniform!

After a lunch break we went to Barker and checked out Last Tango woods, where we'd never been before. It hit our sweet spot for tree skiing! nicely spaced trees, just steep enough to be really challenging for me, but not so steep that I couldn't link sets of 5-10 turns making my way through. We lapped that for the rest of the afternoon and headed out at 3.

Snow quality was amazing! It was misting on my drive home, so sadly, I think those who weren't able to get out this weekend will nave to wait for the next snow to get conditions like that again.