• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend speculation thread - weekend of 2/9-10....When the Rain Comes??

tnt1234

Every skiers favorite game - weekend speculation!

Rain coming to wash away all this nice snow? Will the north dodge a bullet again? Is there any meteorological escape hatch in this forecast???

Will anyone say f-it and sharpen their skates and head straight for the trees?? Is there a mad run on racing skis ahead of the freeze?

Anyone flying west?

Let's hear the guesses, plans, and inevitable frustrations with the thaw/freeze staring us down.

KustyTheKlown

was supposed to do stowe with my buddy who got an epic pass this year like a dummy. probably wont do that unless things change significantly.

maybe i'll do one day of stratton groomers on ikon just for the hell of it.

im going to banff and revelstoke on 2/15 for 7 ski days (1 kicking horse, 3 rev, 3 banff3).

i missed this past weekend but have no regrets. good to see friends and music.

abc

Too early to even speculate.

But since we are all stuck in our cubicles, this is more like Monday after the super bowl. Empty talk... too late (early inthe ski case) to have any meaning, but nonetheless fun to fill the airwave (ether)

Will be back Wednesday or Thursday and join the ACTUAL speculation.

tnt1234

was supposed to do stowe with my buddy who got an epic pass this year like a dummy. probably wont do that unless things change significantly.

im going to banff and revelstoke on 2/15 for 7 ski days (1 kicking horse, 3 rev, 3 banff3).

What music did you see?

tnt1234

Had a great day Saturday at Plattekill. Great overnight trip - drove up friday, dinner at the....Binnekill Tavern I think it was called?....on the mountain around 9:15, skied to about 3, drove home.

Groomed trails were soft. The steeps all had half ungroomed which was nice and edgeable, and generally soft. Trees were ok - better where some traffic had tamped it down - the snow had that thick consistency which I found a little hard to turn in. But after noon, there was enough tracks in teh lower angle stuff to make it really enjoyable.

Also found a great tree line to try for another day when conditions are ripe - nice, steeper line with a couple of cliffs....could be really fun....

I love that place.

crazy

Have you been to any of those places in Canada before? If not, you will have a lot of fun exploring them for the first time. Great idea doing a day at Kicking Horse, it's my favorite of the bunch. Worth it even though it's not on the Ikon Pass.

KustyTheKlown

i went to see the disco biscuits. i've been seeing them for 19 years and they and their production team have become friends of mine and my friends over the years. they played the capitol theatre in westchester, and its just something that brings all of my friends together like nothing else. everyone has kids, and live in the burbs, and are scattered and busy, but tdb just bring the crew back together, so it was worth missing the skiing.

i went to kicking horse and fernie last year, on max pass. amazing trip. banff and revelstoke will be new for me. my ikon is blacked out my first day and i know kicking horse rules, and is halfway to rev, so why not. the canadian dollar is a peso, the weed is legal, the snow is reliable, and the mountains are steep. <3 interior BC (and i'm sure i'll love banff, which is in alberta).

tnt1234

i went to see the disco biscuits. i've been seeing them for 19 years and they and their production team have become friends of mine and my friends over the years. they played the capitol theatre in westchester, and its just something that brings all of my friends together like nothing else. everyone has kids, and live in the burbs, and are scattered and busy, but tdb just bring the crew back together, so it was worth missing the skiing.

i went to kicking horse and fernie last year, on max pass. amazing trip. banff and revelstoke will be new for me. my ikon is blacked out my first day and i know kicking horse rules, and is halfway to rev, so why not. the canadian dollar is a peso, the weed is legal, the snow is reliable, and the mountains are steep. <3 interior BC (and i'm sure i'll love banff, which is in alberta).

I hear the capital is a great venue. Somehow never been....

Glad you had fun - live music rules...

jg17

Anyone flying west?

Already west. Jackson Hole yesterday was great, today incredible with about 2' of powder. Still have tomorrow (with more powder) and then Park City Thursday-Sunday. We'll see what the rest of the week holds.

Glenn

It'll be firm...again. Warm this week with some rain, followed by a rapid cool down Friday night into the weekend.

Ironically, we've had some very "wintery" weekends in VT lately. The issue has been the _____ weather mid week.

kingslug

If it pans out as we see it then I won't bother with Hunter. Wife gets home Saturday night which is her Bday so that will be the weekend plan. Might have to escape to Utah soon but will be there in March..hope it keeps dumping.

tnt1234

If it pans out as we see it then I won't bother with Hunter. Wife gets home Saturday night which is her Bday so that will be the weekend plan. Might have to escape to Utah soon but will be there in March..hope it keeps dumping.

Belleayre had all it's glades open last weekend, and was thinking of day tripping up there sunday. but yeah, if the forecast holds true, not gonna bother.