• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will driverless cars help remote resorts?

JimG.

Staff member
Attitudes may differ based on a person's age. If you grew up in the pre internet/social media era, then driving a car represented freedom to get out of mom and dad's house and to socialize/show off with your friends, so cars were important. A lot of young people now don't really care that much about driving and just see it as transportation. They'll happily summon an uber when they need to go somewhere and wouldn't care if the uber had a human driver or a computer driver.

I've also seen that cars are getting more generic. All the different brands are starting to look alike since the laws of physics dictate the most efficient design. That trend should accelerate as we transition to electric drivetrains. The diehards will hate electrics too and want their loud v8's and stick shifts, but the electrics will be much less expensive and almost maintenance free. When transportation becomes a cheap, generic commodity, many people won't even bother owning a car.

The diehards can become driving hobbyists, just like audioholics still listening to vinyl records. As long as the hobbyists don't cause too many accidents in their dangerous manual drive mode, it will be a long time before they are completely banned. If they are eventually banned, it would probably happen first in the big cities.

All good observations.

Young folks don't seem to care much about independence which is why so many still live with mom and dad. And you're correct about new cars they all look the same which is funny because the styling sucks. Which doesn't matter to young folks as long as the cars are filled with attention diverting doodads like touch screens and movies.

Ah to be easily amused and entertained.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Young kids can't afford independent living from their parents today because it's Way more expensive today than when I was in my early 20s (late 90s) which was WAY WAY more expensive than when you were in your early 20s.

The economic indicators are all very easy to research and correlate why young people today rely on the mom and dad cocoon more than ever before. Your generation would have struggled just as hard as the current one given similar economic conditions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Young kids can't afford independent living from their parents today because it's Way more expensive today than when I was in my early 20s (late 90s) which was WAY WAY more expensive than when you were in your early 20s.

The economic indicators are all very easy to research and correlate why young people today rely on the mom and dad cocoon more than ever before. Your generation would have struggled just as hard as the current one given similar economic conditions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

It always seems that way from one generation to the next. At 25 I saw no way I would ever own a house or get married. Children!?

And it's not always about $ anyway.

I can only speak from my experience with children. My oldest is 25 and has been on his own living and working on the Outer Banks of NC as a field engineer maintaining bridges for a year and a half. My 2nd is 23 and has been working 9 months in Ithaca NY as a sales engineer for a materials testing software company. We're far from rich and there's nothing special about my boys other than they are personally driven to perform and do well at what they do. Their little brother in high school is the same way. They haven't lived at home really since they left for college. I'm not an engineer I worked in sales so no inside networking advantages. I don't pay for anything for them. Zip.

I wish I got to see them more than I do. But I'm not unhappy they are living life.

Dickc

Totally.

A high proportion of air collisions are from small planes flown by hobbyists. Or when small planes without transponder hitting big planes and bringing them down. But small planes are still allowed in most sky except the most congested airports.
Little planes and big planes only come in close proximity when a small plane goes to land at a big airport. Most private piston powered airplanes land at smaller airports. The rules for flying into to class D airspace (Logan, Kennedy, etc) are pretty strict. Barge into class D by accident and you will most likely get a suspended pilot license. Finally, the FAA is requiring more and more electronics on private planes for them to even be allowed to fly.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Little planes and big planes only come in close proximity when a small plane goes to land at a big airport. Most private piston powered airplanes land at smaller airports. The rules for flying into to class D airspace (Logan, Kennedy, etc) are pretty strict. Barge into class D by accident and you will most likely get a suspended pilot license. Finally, the FAA is requiring more and more electronics on private planes for them to even be allowed to fly.

I think you meant class B . The big planes are everywhere these days . A cool gadget https://crewdogelectronics.com/collections/stratux-ads-b-kits-with-ahrs Even gives you an artificial horizon ,picks up traffic with an app on your phone you can see for around $300.00 including the Foreflight app.

abc

Business has to change to deal with societal changes.

I had a good friend whose business (and his livelihood) got totally destroyed when advertising gone electronic. I told him 2-3 year prior that I was seeing more and more electronic advertisement. He didn't make the connection. Not even after I warned him explicitly that business were toting their "savings" in paper cost!

Motels will still exist. Hotels will continue to thrive. People still need to get away from their daily routine. Be that a day trip to the beach or mountain, or weekend trip to the beach or mountain, or a week long "get away from it all" trip to some place random!

But it will probably be a little different pattern, which the motel/hotel need to figure out and follow. Yes, if they're worried the current status quote will not continue to perpetuity, there's good reason they should (worry).