• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will driverless cars help remote resorts?

abc

As we speak, all of those systems are being tested as "driving aid" in cars driven by human!

It won't take very long for each of the systems to get quite a bit better due to the accumulated "experience" they amass in the next couple years.

kbroderick

Thinking about some of the car-rental threads I've seen, this also raises an interesting question about car rentals: will one-way rentals (and their absurd fees) be a thing of the past? Just add six/eight/whatever hours for the car to drive itself back to the point of origin, and you can fly into Jackson, drive to Big Sky and on to Bozeman, and not pay the one-way fee.

jaytrem

Thinking about some of the car-rental threads I've seen, this also raises an interesting question about car rentals: will one-way rentals (and their absurd fees) be a thing of the past? Just add six/eight/whatever hours for the car to drive itself back to the point of origin, and you can fly into Jackson, drive to Big Sky and on to Bozeman, and not pay the one-way fee.

225 miles, better send it with a full tank of gas.

Another interesting thought on rentals would be what about younger people who currently pay the higher rate. Would be no reason for that anymore.

Smellytele

I believe there was a case, I think in California if I recall the article I read about this correctly, that happened not too long after the 1st autonomously driving Tesla hit the road that dealt with this topic.

The driver, after drinking too much, got in his car, and did what ever the procedure is to set the navigation system to get him home. He was basically passed out behind the wheel, while the car was driving him home. The car committed some minor infraction that was noticed by the police, they went to stop the car, that finally happened when it pulled into and stopped in his driveway. The police suspected he was over the legal limit and administered a field sobriety test, which he failed, and was arrested.

He appealed that he wasn't "driving". The legal precedent apparently is that if you're in the car, and the keys are in the ignition, and you're deemed the "operator" that whether or not you were actually driving the car, or say pulled over sleeping/passed out with the keys in the ignition, that you are "operating" the vehicle, and in the eyes of the legal system "operating" and "driving" are one and the same.

So basically, using an autonomously driving vehicle as one's de facto uber if they're under the influence and the only one in the vehicle won't allow them to avoid the legal ramifications if they're stopped for something and found to be over the legal limit....

What if they have driverless taxis? Can I get in one of those drunk? Would I be responsible then if it got in an accident?

mikec142

This thread is terrifying to me in many ways . Giving away control of your personal safety for convenience.:-o I get the Air travel subject is similar but will leave that out for now.

This kinda gave me a chuckle. So by this reasoning, you don't ride ski lifts because it gives away control of your personal safety. I know that earning your turns is an increasingly popular thing, but this is a bit extreme :beer:

legalskier

This kinda gave me a chuckle. So by this reasoning, you don't ride ski lifts because it gives away control of your personal safety. I know that earning your turns is an increasingly popular thing, but this is a bit extreme :beer:

Then again, no one is calling a ski lift "autonomous," the term for these new driverless cars. Let's say someone has a warrant out for him- he gets into an AV & it starts moving- suddenly the doors lock & it transports him to the closest police station- warrant executed.
He'd much rather be on a ski lift, no?

"I'm sorry, Dave- I'm afraid I can't do that."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk

BenedictGomez

In what way are batteries "awful" compared to gas?

Just off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

1) Convenience
2) Mileage distance
3) Operating parameters
4) Potential replacement cost versus nothing
5) Time

BenedictGomez

Not really. A little less but by no means "awful".

A little less? No, it's a lot less.

And keep in mind, the "electric vehicle ranges" you see posted are pretty bogus, because they are track tested under optimal temperature, and with NO additional power (no air conditioning, no radio, nothing), and driven at unrealistically low mph speeds versus normal highway driving to conserve battery. The US EPA which puts out the bogus ranges, is, "in on the fix", to help sell electric cars.

abc

And keep in mind, the "electric vehicle ranges" you see posted are pretty bogus, because they are track tested under optimal temperature, and with NO additional power (no air conditioning, no radio, nothing), and driven at unrealistically low mph speeds versus normal highway driving to conserve battery. The US EPA which puts out the bogus ranges, is, "in on the fix", to help sell electric cars.
I'm not "seeing posted" mileages as you presumed.

I know a skier who actually owns a Tesla. He's driven it across the country on mini ski safari for the past 2 seasons!

Yes, he shared realistic mileages, total trip time including charging time, on another ski forum as well.

Last edited:

abc

How long does it take to charge a car compared to filling it with gas?
But the context of the question is a one way driver-less rental car return. How does charging time matter?

So a 5 hr "run" by the driver-less car will actually be 5 1/2 hr, all the while the person is sleeping soundly in his hotel room, or is already on a plane back east!

Last edited:

benski

Just off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing plenty.

1) Convenience
2) Mileage distance
3) Operating parameters
4) Potential replacement cost versus nothing
5) Time

I would say Electric cars are more of a commuter thing now. I know someone who got a Chevy Volt, which is really a plug in hybrid and only had to take it to the gas station about 3 times in 6 months, which is a huge pro but they only use it for local driving and have a second car for road trips.

BenedictGomez

I'm not "seeing posted" mileages as you presumed.

I know a skier who actually owns a Tesla. He's driven it across the country on mini ski safari for the past 2 seasons!

Yes, he shared realistic mileages, total trip time including charging time, on another ski forum as well.

Then his stop to recharge time took a whole lot longer than the cumulative stop to gas up time. And he had to plan out where to stop on this route. SEE: #1, #2, and #5

abc

Then his stop to recharge time took a whole lot longer than the cumulative stop to gas up time. And he had to plan out where to stop on this route. SEE: #1, #2, and #5
#2 and 5 is related. One may even say they are one and the same.

While the "gas up time" is shorter than charging time, that's not counting going to the bathroom and worse, stopping for food and drink. In reality, just about most people found the total trip time is longer than what google map indicates.

#1 is largely subjective. The "planning" that goes into charging is the same as people plan to stop for gas and food. Still, NOBODY ever mention the "inconvenience" of having to stop for food! Yet it's a HUGE DEAL to plan to stop to charge the battery!!!

Electric vehicle has one and only one real big issue, limited range. That limit is slowly increasing. Still, every mitigating measures are viewed as huge and insurmountable "inconvenience" or worse.

I've been a foot soldier since the early days of internet commerce. I've observed the exact same reaction back then. I can't help but laugh at the repeat in this new cycle.

Last edited: