• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 2/2/19

JimG.

Staff member
Another high school ski club trip. First time at Okemo in 25 years. The crowds and chaos when we arrived reminded me of Mt. Snow. And they in fact have a bubble 6 pack at Okemo kind of a funky orange red color. We avoided all that and went right to the South Face which is where most of the decent terrain is. After a great day at Belleayre the day before I had low expectations but the snow conditions were great, very cold and powdery. Most of the glades there have been way too thinned out but there are a few tree areas that had nice lines and untouched snow. Had a blast. So did my son James.

No pics bitter cold.

JimG.

Staff member
Forgot to add that whoever at Okemo decided to put a tavern in the parking lot where buses park is a genius.

prsboogie

The Loft is fantastic, World class beer and fantastic Sammie's and wings. Cheap for "on mountain" eating too. Nothing better than loading up before hopping on a bus for a 3 1/2 hour ride home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tnt1234

Another high school ski club trip. First time at Okemo in 25 years. The crowds and chaos when we arrived reminded me of Mt. Snow. And they in fact have a bubble 6 pack at Okemo kind of a funky orange red color. We avoided all that and went right to the South Face which is where most of the decent terrain is. After a great day at Belleayre the day before I had low expectations but the snow conditions were great, very cold and powdery. Most of the glades there have been way too thinned out but there are a few tree areas that had nice lines and untouched snow. Had a blast. So did my son James.

No pics bitter cold.

Last year we beat the crowds by parking at Jackson Gore. Was still crowded there of course, but we were on the mountain pretty quickly.

Missed the bar in teh parking lot though.

skifree

Tom's loft @ Okemo is like a spider web.

hard to get out of once your in.

xlr8r

Was at Okemo too both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. It seems now that the 2 bubble lifts absorb most of the crowds, leaving Solitude to have reasonably short lift lines, and South Face to be almost ski on all day. I park at Jackson Gore, but the lines were so long at the Quantum lift, that maybe parking at main base would have been better. Quantum had lines even at closing on Saturday and all day Sunday until I left at 2:30 to get home for the Superbowl. Sunburst even seemed to have shorter lines than Quantum all weekend. I sampled most of the glades and found Tree Dancer to have the best coverage. Loose Spruce is probably the best glade on the mountain but it was getting a bit thin for my liking halfway down. Best trail of the weekend for me was Off the Rim on South Face as it had been left ungroomed all week, but never moguled up. Okemo's bread and butter cruisers were in great shape, spent a lot of the weekend just ripping GS turns all over the mountain.

PaulR

BTT.
Reviving this thread in preparation of 4 days at Okemo starting Sunday.
Same thing, have not been in 25 years.
I spent the night last night watching videos of the Glades and diamonds they have to offer there, and got pretty depressed.
Maybe it's the cameras or not, but when I see a guy having to push through a double diamond, how can it be a double diamond?
We spent the last 3 years vacationing at Jay Peak, with their glades and diamonds.
I guess my question is: is there anything challenging at Okemo?
Staying at JG, I hear there pools are good, have to travel to Loft for wings, I assume they have a shuttle?