• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 2/5/19

Zand

After skiing soft glades all day at Jay yesterday, I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck but was looking forward to doing it all over again. Unfortunately the snow report revealed that all the glades and a lot of other natural trails were roped. Must have been a snow preservation tactic because they were full of snow. Big bummer as I love Burke's glades almost as much as Jay's but still had a fun day.

Favorite run of the day was Carriage Road...nice soft and smooth snow mixed perfectly with the pitches and bends of the trail. East Bowl skied similarly but the snow on the flats was so sticky that you pretty much had to start poling at the bridge...long slog out. Powderhorn was also a treat to ski.

Groomers were definitely on the slick side. Willoughby softened up through the day and was probably skiing the best of the trails. Dipper was ok in some spots and a sheet of ice in others. Upper Warren's was awful.

That was pretty much it for open trails. But with an empty mountain and ski on Mid Burke express, the natural stuff was fun to lap all day. One decent storm will get them back in business, there is still a TON of natural snow on the hill...much more than there ever was in the 4 years I was at LSC.

If anyone is keeping track for the Lodge Food thread, a burger at the hotel bar was $16. Also made sure to stop into the Bear Den for a beer as you never know when it'll be the last time. It's the best ski area bar in the Northeast and if you disagree, you're wrong :)

Not sure of future plans at this point...we'll see how the weather shakes out early next week. I'm too spoiled by this season to go ski hardpack and groomers anywhere except Wachusett.

legalskier

Gettin' after it, nice. "Time of your life, huh kid?" Burke's another hill I may get to...someday.

Also made sure to stop into the Bear Den for a beer as you never know when it'll be the last time.

???

Zand

Bear Den was supposed to close when the hotel opened and they were going to tear down mid Burke lodge. 5 years later it's still open. I think Burke forgot it's there and someone just shows up to bartend every day lol.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bear Den was supposed to close when the hotel opened and they were going to tear down mid Burke lodge. 5 years later it's still open. I think Burke forgot it's there and someone just shows up to bartend every day lol.

Bill Stenger and company realized how popular it was and reversed course.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The Sneak

Love the Bear Den. The service sometimes sucks when it gets busy though. Feels like the faces they recognize get their attention...

Still a great spot and long may it run tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legalskier

I'll be bummed when your personal Vermont ski trip comes to an end- I've enjoyed reading your posts. Nice to see somebody just leaving it all behind & goin' for it....

Zand

Just a "weekend" trip. Wish I was up there for a couple weeks though haha.

Glenn

Bummer about the glades. But sounds like you made the most of it.