• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can some one point me to a specific ski instructor to go to for a private lesson?

jcard71

I'm assuming as in golf lessons, there will be good ski instructors for beginners (like me) and others that are better for more experienced skiers? I live in NH, but willing to travel to see the best\right person for a private lesson.

I updated the post.

Looking for names of good ski instructors that folks have liked seeing for beginner skiers. Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Funny, there was an article about this in the last SKI Magazine & how mountains are increasingly focusing on shutting it down. I didn't know it was an actual thing, but it makes perfect sense (by both parties).

I'm curious, was the article in SKI Magazine how you got the idea for this posting?

Because that's something I thought of while reading it, that by illuminating this "problem" in an attempt to dissuade people from doing it, I speculated that what they're ironically actually doing is increasing the "problem" by essentially widely marketing it as an idea/possibility.

jcard71

Funny, there was an article about this in the last SKI Magazine & how mountains are increasingly focusing on shutting it down. I didn't know it was an actual thing, but it makes perfect sense (by both parties).

I'm curious, was the article in SKI Magazine how you got the idea for this posting?

Because that's something I thought of while reading it, that by illuminating this "problem" in an attempt to dissuade people from doing it, I speculated that what they're ironically actually doing is increasing the "problem" by essentially widely marketing it as an idea/possibility.

I think you might have replied to the wrong post?

cdskier

I think you might have replied to the wrong post?

There's a couple different ways to interpret your request as it wasn't clear. BG's interpretation (which entered my mind as well) is that you were looking for a private lesson from someone NOT through a ski school at a resort.

Otherwise if you are ok with a private lesson from a resort themselves, then most resorts are very good at matching the right instructor with the right student based on your ability level, etc.

machski

You two really read into the question wrong I think. The OP was looking for information on if any of us knew or had taken a lesson from a good instructor we could recommend. Where they are willing to travel, I think that equates to they assume it is an instructor employed by a resort.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

You two really read into the question wrong I think. The OP was looking for information on if any of us knew or had taken a lesson from a good instructor we could recommend. Where they are willing to travel, I think that equates to they assume it is an instructor employed by a resort.

I outright acknowledged that to me the question was a bit ambiguous and there were multiple ways to look at the question and that I wasn't sure what was being asked. It is entirely possible it was ambiguous because the OP didn't even know there was such a thing as outside personal private instructors.

BenedictGomez

You two really read into the question wrong I think.

Quite possibly. It was the, "not willing to post a name" part that made me think that.

Personally, I really dont care if people give/receive "rogue" ski lessons TBQH. I just think it's interesting.

legalskier

I'm assuming as in golf lessons, there will be good ski instructors for beginners (like me) and others that are better for more experienced skiers? I live in NH, but willing to travel to see the best\right person for a private lesson.

If you're not comfortable posting their name, please message me. Thanks for all the help!!

You could ask for an instructor who trains the other instructors.

jcard71

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

That's correct! I was just asking for a ski instructor that is employed by a resort in either Vermont or NH. I'm not looking for private instructor who is teaching off the grid. I assume people have favorite instructors out there that work at resorts and really helped them learn to ski correctly...

Last edited:

jcard71

I outright acknowledged that to me the question was a bit ambiguous and there were multiple ways to look at the question and that I wasn't sure what was being asked. It is entirely possible it was ambiguous because the OP didn't even know there was such a thing as outside personal private instructors.

Yes! I had no idea there was an underworld of personal private instructors...:) Not what I'm looking for - I want to pay and go through a resort.

I'm a golfer, and I know teaching pros that are better for beginners than other that are better for more experienced golfers.

skifree

I updated the post.

Looking for names of good ski instructors that folks have liked seeing for beginner skiers. Thanks for all the help!!

That's correct! I was just asking for a ski instructor that is employed by a resort in either Vermont or NH. I'm not looking for private instructor is teaching off the grid. I assume people have favorite instructors out there that work at resorts and really helped them learn to ski correctly...

send me a pm.. for some reason my pm's not going through

jcard71

Quite possibly. It was the, "not willing to post a name" part that made me think that.

Personally, I really dont care if people give/receive "rogue" ski lessons TBQH. I just think it's interesting.

Good point. I didn't know if someone wanted their name posted on a public forum as being better instructor for beginner vs experienced skiers.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I was at a Vermont ski resort last week and met one of those "rogue" instructors, I got his point! He taught at Killington where a private lesson costs OMG $170 for a 7 year old! Where the instructor gets $15 (and an extra $10 if he is requested)! So he does it on the side for $100. I'd do the same!

2Planker

I was at a Vermont ski resort last week and met one of those "rogue" instructors, I got his point! He taught at Killington where a private lesson costs OMG $170 for a 7 year old! Where the instructor gets $15 (and an extra $10 if he is requested)! So he does it on the side for $100. I'd do the same!

Yupper - A ton of Ski Pro's do it on the side for $100-$120, as a resort private lesson is usually $150-$175.

Just don't let the resort know, as the Ski Pro's have to sign a contract (which most don't read) that they will not do any Black Market Lessons to undermine the resort. SR canned a few of my buddies as soon as it was discovered....