• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'19-'20 who's part of what Pass thread

cdskier

Am I the only one who finds Windham boring?

I'm not a hater, and I get there maybe once every 3 years, I just personally find it too wide-open-cruisery in a homogeneous way.

I agree. I’d much rather go to Platty or Belleayre as I think both offer more challenge and variety. Hunter does as well, but I could only deal with going there midweek.

Overall windham is my least favorite of the Catskills.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Mountain Creek was dropping hints that their regulars might want to get an Epic product before the 1st cut off deadline on their social media today.....

Given their new this year owner's big ties to the overall ski industry in general, wouldn't be surprised if Mountain Creek is on the Epic next year, and the NYC metro crew has an extra reason to go to other Epic resorts next season.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Mountain Creek was dropping hints that their regulars might want to get an Epic product before the 1st cut off deadline on their social media today.....

Given their new this year owner's big ties to the overall ski industry in general, wouldn't be surprised if Mountain Creek is on the Epic next year, and the NYC metro crew has an extra reason to go to other Epic resorts next season.....

Meh, born & raised in New Jersey, live in New Jersey, and I've never been to Mountain Creek. I think it's a very local mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A day-late-and-a-dollar short IMHO.

Vail should buy Brighton or do something more Wasatch meaningful. You need to jump in a rental car to hit Snowbasin. Better than nothing, but the Front/Back is where the real ski $$$$$ in Utah is.

I highly doubt that Boyne would let Vail grab Brighton. It is a cash cow for Boyne and a real dark horse. They have a good local following, good infrastructure, great snow, and no real big debt to speak of. If anything, the last couple years have seen Boyne doing more marketing and promotions for Brighton. They now have a lot more of a summer presence up there with Milly Chalet open for weekend food and the store (that they own) open longer hours. They have tried a few events and are slowly building up.

If Boyne was looking to unload in order to pay down the HUGE investments that they have been making to Big Sky, I would imagine that Alterra would be more interested since it sits right next door to Solitude and is just over the ridge from Deer Valley. That raises the interesting question as to if this would be a monopoly having Alterra own both BCC resorts. That said, Boyne was very serious about buying Solitude before Deer Valley did, but they could not get the cash.

mikes

There’s some interesting rumors floating around regarding PA resorts... Camelback going IKON and Blue going Epic with both being announced within a few weeks. Time will tell...

thetrailboss

Staff member
There’s some interesting rumors floating around regarding PA resorts... Camelback going IKON and Blue going Epic with both being announced within a few weeks. Time will tell...

Makes sense. IIRC neither Alterra or Vail have much a presence in the Mid-Atlantic area.

TyWebb

Yep. Have read that KSL Capitol will announce the purchase of Camelback Pa soon. Makes sense considering they already own ski resorts (Alterra / IKON) and indoor water-park hotels .. Camelback has both.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep. Have read that KSL Capitol will announce the purchase of Camelback Pa soon. Makes sense considering they already own ski resorts (Alterra / IKON) and indoor water-park hotels .. Camelback has both.

I wonder if KSL is kicking the tires on Jay Peak if they own waterparks and ski areas. I only knew that they owned Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows.

drjeff

I wonder if KSL is kicking the tires on Jay Peak if they own waterparks and ski areas. I only knew that they owned Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows.
Gotta think that all the players (known for sure and maybe a relatively unknown player or 2) are kicking the tires on Jay.

Just likely will come down to the combo of is Jay and Burke a package deal or not, what the price vs EBITA can be negotiated too and how much they want to buy it

benski

Am I the only one who finds Windham boring?

I'm not a hater, and I get there maybe once every 3 years, I just personally find it too wide-open-cruisery in a homogeneous way.
No. I know someone with a pass their and used to have a pass their. Both agree, its lame. I found the same thing when I skied the main quad for a day and the snow-making was wet.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Gotta think that all the players (known for sure and maybe a relatively unknown player or 2) are kicking the tires on Jay.

Just likely will come down to the combo of is Jay and Burke a package deal or not, what the price vs EBITA can be negotiated too and how much they want to buy it

At last check, Burke was on hold from sale because they were behind on the job creation requirement and honestly behind on building up business. No word at all about any deal on Jay, but it is on the market.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Isn't KSL = alterra?

Good question. Alterra = Crown (Aspen) + KSL. I think that each has kept their own identities for their respective mountains, but I could be wrong. Crown still owns Aspen/Snowmass and runs it separately. KSL was Squaw/Alpine Meadows. Alterra is the "synergy" of the two groups...to use a new age term. :lol:

BenedictGomez

If Boyne was looking to unload in order to pay down the HUGE investments that they have been making to Big Sky, I would imagine that Alterra would be more interested since it sits right next door to Solitude and is just over the ridge from Deer Valley.

Definitely. It makes sense for both, but far more for Alterra. The potential plans show 2 lifts needed to connect Deer Valley with Brighton. I hiked in there this summer, and it's beautiful land with several natural ponds. IIRC, some of the land is private and would also need to be acquired I think.

BenedictGomez

Camelback just posted, then deleted, an article on Facebook that was all about Vail.

It makes me wonder if they're going to be added to EPIC?

The article was somewhat insipid & all about Global Warming & virtue-signaling how wonderful Vail is in leading the ski resort charge against Climate Change, so it's possible they deleted it thinking it was political in nature, but I thought it odd Camelback posted an article about Vail in the first place given there's no current relationship.

trackbiker

Camelback just posted, then deleted, an article on Facebook that was all about Vail.

It makes me wonder if they're going to be added to EPIC?

The article was somewhat insipid & all about Global Warming & virtue-signaling how wonderful Vail is in leading the ski resort charge against Climate Change, so it's possible they deleted it thinking it was political in nature, but I thought it odd Camelback posted an article about Vail in the first place given there's no current relationship.

There is a rumor that Blue Mt. might be purchased by Vail. Some Vail people evidently visited this past winter.