• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'19-'20 who's part of what Pass thread

EPB

The article was somewhat insipid & all about Global Warming & virtue-signaling how wonderful Vail is in leading the ski resort charge against Climate Change, so it's possible they deleted it thinking it was political in nature, but I thought it odd Camelback posted an article about Vail in the first place given there's no current relationship.

I just love how Vail is willing to sacrifice its bottom line to help the planet. The vigor with which it inspires me to buy an Epic pass has only been surpassed by the sense of purpose I felt buying Nike thermal layers after they made Colin Kaepernick the face of their brand.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Camelback and Blue on top of Okemo.

Not much of an eastern lineup other than Stowe.

dblskifanatic

So since Epic no longer has A Basin, we are going with A Basin veterans season pass for 199 and that rate applies to wife and children. We are also getting the Loveland season pass which gives us 3 lift tickets to several Colorado ski areas like Monarch and Cooper.

Believe it or not we will miss Breck and Keystone. Do not really care about Vail and Beaver Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Vail reported a 9% unit increase (13% revenue) in preseason pass sales through May 28th vs. same period 2018. So I guess a lot of people went EPIC.

I personally took the dive into IKON due to a planned trip to Taos. As a VT skier, I also prefer IKON's Stratton/Killington/Sugarbush trio.

FBGM

Definitely. It makes sense for both, but far more for Alterra. The potential plans show 2 lifts needed to connect Deer Valley with Brighton. I hiked in there this summer, and it's beautiful land with several natural ponds. IIRC, some of the land is private and would also need to be acquired I think.

That won’t happen. To much private land. City has bought a chunk and won’t develop. There is a road in the way. There is Vail land in the way. It won’t happen.

drjeff

Announced this morning. A-Basin is now part of the IKON pass.

I'm guessing in the big scheme of things, this won't do much to change some of the "problems" that being part of the Epic Pass brought them, given their location and the proximity to the greater Denver/Boulder population base as well as the tourism volume that the other IKON resorts in the area help draw in

cdskier

Announced this morning. A-Basin is now part of the IKON pass.

I'm guessing in the big scheme of things, this won't do much to change some of the "problems" that being part of the Epic Pass brought them, given their location and the proximity to the greater Denver/Boulder population base as well as the tourism volume that the other IKON resorts in the area help draw in

One "difference" though...Ikon has only a limited number of days while Epic was unlimited for A-Basin if I remember correctly.

abc

One "difference" though...Ikon has only a limited number of days while Epic was unlimited for A-Basin if I remember correctly.
You remember correctly.

But I think that won't help the crowding issue. With limited days, people would only go when condition is good. So it'll be equally crowded on days anyone wants to go, e.g. weekend or days after a big dump.

drjeff

Fair point.

Guess the locals with IKON's will use their days early and late, and then the masses mid winter during their CO ski trips. Time will tell...

Zand

Colorado just got a little more attractive. Now you get Winter Park (which is already great), Copper (which wasn't great but the new lift in the back bowls will drastically improve it), 7 days between the Aspens, Steamboat if you want to drive, and now A-Basin. Oh and El Dora too but who cares? Still not as good as Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, and 5 hours to Jackson but it's close now.

Jully

Colorado just got a little more attractive. Now you get Winter Park (which is already great), Copper (which wasn't great but the new lift in the back bowls will drastically improve it), 7 days between the Aspens, Steamboat if you want to drive, and now A-Basin. Oh and El Dora too but who cares? Still not as good as Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Deer Valley, and 5 hours to Jackson but it's close now.

New this year a $25 roundtrip direct bus from Union Station to ABasin is nice too. I70 is not as great as Utah with the Ski Bus accessing the Cottonwoods, but that plus the ski train to WP make for nice rental-carless options too.

Kleetus

Needless to say I am very happy with A Basin joining IKON. One of my favorite places to ski in CO if not my favorite of places I've been (Breck, WP, Copper, Aspen, Keystone). Bought my IKON pass with hopes A-Basin would end up on it and glad to see they did.

I am a little concerned about the crowding, but it was already pretty crowded with EPIC when I was there in the past so not sure it will make that much of a difference.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say the very substantial population of skiers from Boulder on up to Ft Collins are going to be very pleased that Eldora is on the Ikon pass. If I lived in that area its inclusion on Ikon would very much swing my pass purchase from Epic to Ikon and that's before Abasin joining. Having a close option that would allow me to avoid 70 on holidays would be huge.

Interesting move by A-Basin to go Ikon. I'll be interested to see how their marketing department spins it. It would be interesting to know what their cut of the pie is for Ikon vs Epic.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Interesting move by A-Basin to go Ikon. I'll be interested to see how their marketing department spins it. It would be interesting to know what their cut of the pie is for Ikon vs Epic.
Actually, this move by A-basin may signal the start of “musical mountain” in the next few years, when each and every independently owned mountain flip flopping back and forth between Vail and Alterra?

Zand

I'd say the very substantial population of skiers from Boulder on up to Ft Collins are going to be very pleased that Eldora is on the Ikon pass. If I lived in that area its inclusion on Ikon would very much swing my pass purchase from Epic to Ikon and that's before Abasin joining. Having a close option that would allow me to avoid 70 on holidays would be huge.

Oh I'm sure El Dora is popular amongst the locals trying to stay close. Just meant from an Eastern perspective if you're vacationing out there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually, this move by A-basin may signal the start of “musical mountain” in the next few years, when each and every independently owned mountain flip flopping back and forth between Vail and Alterra?
You are probably right. That will be interesting to watch. Also interesting will be to see whether Vail or Alterra implode like ASC and Intrawest before them.

I worked for Intrawest during 2002-2003. They were printing money back then and acquiring resorts left and right. All came crashing down. Obviously ASC had a similar rise and fall.

BenedictGomez

Interesting move by A-Basin to go Ikon. I'll be interested to see how their marketing department spins it.

That was precisely my first thought. Normally it wouldn't have entered my mind, but given how their marketing team seemed to revel in, "anti-establishment" and "going it alone" glory about 32 seconds after pulling out of EPIC, and then seemed to gobble up the likewise social media praise like a Koala starving for eucalyptus leaves, this move surprised me.

cdskier

That was precisely my first thought. Normally it wouldn't have entered my mind, but given how their marketing team seemed to revel in, "anti-establishment" and "going it alone" glory about 32 seconds after pulling out of EPIC, and then seemed to gobble up the likewise social media praise like a Koala starving for eucalyptus leaves, this move surprised me.

I’m not surprised at all. Didn’t their initial comments when they left epic say they were open to exploring other partnerships? To me that meant they were already thinking about ikon.

dblskifanatic

IMO the five days will not be a huge issue. A Basin opens up early and stays open late so using five days will go quickly. We are getting the Military Pass at A Basin which includes dependents. It also provides three days at Taos. We also are getting the Loveland Pass which offers options on Saturdays. There has been talk of Eldora - that place is pretty cool and still 680 acres. The back part has great runs. The vertical is only 1230 ft but skis bigger. It is a nice avoid I70 option.