• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

'19-'20 who's part of what Pass thread

drjeff

Just announced that Snowbasin, UT and Sun Valley will be part of the Epic Pass next season

We should also be starting to get some pricing numbers in the next few weeks based on historical pricing releases....

Jully

Wonder what that means for Mountain Collective. I was sort of hoping they'd go Ikon. Snowbasin especially is on my short list.

xlr8r

I have Epic Local this year, if they add someplace in New England, I will probably buy it again. Hoping Wachusett joins either Epic or Ikon. Problem with Ikon for me still is the blackout dates, and the lack of a easy day trip option from Boston. Loon is a long day trip, Sunapee just feels much easier and closer.

Jay Peak is the free agent, I think most of us expect Alterra to buy it and put it on Ikon. Also there are still rumors of Vail buying Smuggs, but I doubt that will happen.

Zand

As I've said, if Jay gets added to Ikon, I will send them a blank check that they can write any amount on because you won't beat that lineup in the east PLUS SLC plus Jackson, Big Sky, Steamboat, Winter Park, Taos, and on and on.

machski

Wonder what that means for Mountain Collective. I was sort of hoping they'd go Ikon. Snowbasin especially is on my short list.
I would have preferred that too, but makes sense Vail got in fast and added them into Epic. They were being out gunned in Utah by Ikon as it currently stood.

I don't see smaller areas like Wachusett being added to either pass unless the parent buys the property out right. As an independent partner resort, the economics don't make sense to revenue share with the smaller areas, unless they are owned.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Skrn

Agreed. Actually if they can keep the current line up, I’d go IKON again for sure. The line up on East is already much stronger than Epic.

drjeff

I would have preferred that too, but makes sense Vail got in fast and added them into Epic. They were being out gunned in Utah by Ikon as it currently stood.

I don't see smaller areas like Wachusett being added to either pass unless the parent buys the property out right. As an independent partner resort, the economics don't make sense to revenue share with the smaller areas, unless they are owned.

Heck, with the successful operation year in and year out that Wachusett runs, it would either take the Crowley's agreeing to a full buy out of the area by one of the big(ger) operators, or some major shift in the operations of Polar Beverages for them to want to profit share with one multi-resort operators I'm guessing.

Wachusett has quite it's own niche with the combo of it's location, it's STRONG afterschool program and adult night race league, and a decent enough weekend program that appeals to SE New England with enough interest to keep them coming in large numbers week in and week out as well as year in and year out. Why would they want to dilute some of that business, when in reality they're aren't too many other players in their region that can offer up anything remotely close to what they do for a good chunk of the population base that's within an hour of them (especially if you talk South and East of their location?

BenedictGomez

A day-late-and-a-dollar short IMHO.

Vail should buy Brighton or do something more Wasatch meaningful. You need to jump in a rental car to hit Snowbasin. Better than nothing, but the Front/Back is where the real ski $$$$$ in Utah is.

xlr8r

Heck, with the successful operation year in and year out that Wachusett runs, it would either take the Crowley's agreeing to a full buy out of the area by one of the big(ger) operators, or some major shift in the operations of Polar Beverages for them to want to profit share with one multi-resort operators I'm guessing.

Wachusett has quite it's own niche with the combo of it's location, it's STRONG afterschool program and adult night race league, and a decent enough weekend program that appeals to SE New England with enough interest to keep them coming in large numbers week in and week out as well as year in and year out. Why would they want to dilute some of that business, when in reality they're aren't too many other players in their region that can offer up anything remotely close to what they do for a good chunk of the population base that's within an hour of them (especially if you talk South and East of their location?

Wachusett was on the Max Pass for two years being an independent mountain. So they were interested in being on multi mountain passes previously. I do not think Vail or Alterra is going to buy Wachusett, but I could see them making a deal to be on either the Ikon or Epic Passes.

machski

Vail should buy Brighton or do something more Wasatch meaningful. You need to jump in a rental car to hit Snowbasin. Better than nothing, but the Front/Back is where the real ski $$$$$ in Utah is.
So you assume they could get an interconnect to Brighton approved with that thought, correct? Otherwise, it is still by car. And from Park City, Snowbasin is an easier drive than Brighton as is IMHO.

machski

Wachusett was on the Max Pass for two years being an independent mountain. So they were interested in being on multi mountain passes previously. I do not think Vail or Alterra is going to buy Wachusett, but I could see them making a deal to be on either the Ikon or Epic Passes.
True on the Max Pass, so they are willing to revenue share. I just don't think either pass is looking to add a non-owned area like Wachusett to their mixes. Look at the current offerings, the only smallish areas on either pass are out right owned by the pass parent. Regardless of what Wachusett may or may not want, not their call.

abc

Really? Are Brighton skiers the "big spender" Vail is after?

BenedictGomez

Really? Are Brighton skiers the "big spender" Vail is after?

It's more about additional options and terrain, and especially access to some Front terrain. I guarantee you Vail wishes it had a piece of something on the Front, rather than solely on the Back. It makes perfect business sense.

So you assume they could get an interconnect to Brighton approved with that thought, correct? Otherwise, it is still by car. And from Park City, Snowbasin is an easier drive than Brighton as is IMHO.

Something originating from near the top of Jupiter to get you to Brighton. A schematic of one potential option is on the ONE Wasatch website. But even without the interconnect or "buying" a competitor, I think it would behoove EPIC to add another Wasatch mountain resort to the EPIC partnership. Utah is one of the premier ski destinations in North America, and all they have in the Wasatch is Park City. Seems like a very un-Vail-like decision, and not the Go-Big-Or-Go-Home Vail mantra at all.

prsboogie

True on the Max Pass, so they are willing to revenue share. I just don't think either pass is looking to add a non-owned area like Wachusett to their mixes. Look at the current offerings, the only smallish areas on either pass are out right owned by the pass parent. Regardless of what Wachusett may or may not want, not their call.

I would actually like to see Wawa get on the Freedom pass. That would make it appealing to me for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

skitheeast45

I have Epic Local this year, if they add someplace in New England, I will probably buy it again. Hoping Wachusett joins either Epic or Ikon. Problem with Ikon for me still is the blackout dates, and the lack of a easy day trip option from Boston. Loon is a long day trip, Sunapee just feels much easier and closer.

I think Vail buying Smuggs would really solidify itself in the Boston market. Stowe is extremely popular for Bostonians and making it the largest resort east of the Rockies would be excellent marketing (and a blow to Killington). Sunapee is already a mountain for people who don't want to drive very far, so I am not sure if adding another would cannibalize traffic. It only makes sense for Vail/Alterra to purchase a mountain as small as Wachusett if its the best option in the region, which its not given its only like 30-45 min closer to Boston than Sunapee. If Vail/Alterra want a small northeast mountain, I think they would target something like Windham/Mountain Creek/Camelback to shave hours off drives for New Yorkers and increase their appeal.

Jay Peak is the free agent, I think most of us expect Alterra to buy it and put it on Ikon. Also there are still rumors of Vail buying Smuggs, but I doubt that will happen.

Alterra buying Jay would solidify Ikon as the pass for people in Quebec with Tremblant already in its portfolio. Interesting whether Vail is trying to penetrate the market with a purchase.

I think Alterra would never let Vail outbid them for Brighton. Solitude/Brighton are comfortably behind PC, DV, Alta/Bird, and Snowbasin when it comes to popularity, but the opportunity to combine them into one large resort with one owner can result in a massive rebrand/push that could bolster its popularity. I don't think Vail is too worried about Utah with Snowbasin going Epic and PC remaining a monster, but if it wanted more snow it could expand into the area in between Jupiter and Cloud Dine, as that area gets much of the snow Brighton receives.

gladerider

on ikon this year. was on maxpass last year. hoping ikon adds some place close to nyc. if they don't, i may go peakpass next year. driving up to VT every weekend from NJ is a bit too much.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I didn't really understand the "hardcore" Eastern skier appeal to Ikon given Stratton is the only place that's unlimited. If you don't mind the driving (Kusty...) I can see how you can piece together 30 East Coast ski days but you're going to be spending a lot of $$$ on lodging.

I am settled in Southern VT with my ski club house so I need Killington/Pico to go unlimited for Ikon to be worth it for me. 7 days at Sugarbush is great, unlimited Stratton works with me for day trips and is 15 minutes from my VT digs.

If there are no changes I might do Ikon with a Killington/Pico spring pass for more days.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
on ikon this year. was on maxpass last year. hoping ikon adds some place close to nyc. if they don't, i may go peakpass next year. driving up to VT every weekend from NJ is a bit too much.

Exactly. Max was amazing simply because you had EC destinations, WC destinations, and...most impressive...DAYTRIP options abounds.