• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New ski suggestions

pauldotcom

My Rossi S3's are going to be retired and outfitted with AT bindings. I want a fun ski just like it, but something a little more capable on hardpack/groomers.

I am looking for a new all mountain, east coast skis. I spend 70% off in glades and bumps (it would be 100% if they were always ski able lol)

I've tried:
Enforcer 100 - terrific ski, just not my style. Too stiff and turning was a little slow to me. Very fast ski.
Rossi Sky7HD - Light and fun. Felt very comfortable, but some of that is due to familiarity with the S3.
Soul 7 - Super fun - a blast in the trees and bumps.
Blizzard Rustler 9 - Very capable ski, but a little narrow underfoot for my liking. Also, I only had access to a 172, and it was a bit short. The ski did best in the glades but I wasn't impressed on the trail.

I'm looking at:
Blizzard Rustler 10
4FRNT Vandal
J Ski Allplay

Thanks for your help.

Go to Killington and spend a day or two demoing everything you can from their shop at Snowshed. Only $50 a day and you can apply it to a purchase if you like. You swap out skis as often as you like. My son did this last year and I was shocked at how he hated some skis I thought he would like, and loved some skis I had never even heard of before.

https://www.killington.com/plan-your-trip/lessons-rentals/demo-service-center

prsboogie

Throw Liberty Origin 96 on your list of should try skis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

legalskier

Absolutely love my Dynastar Powertrak 89s- closest thing to a 1 ski quiver I've ever had the pleasure of skiing. Very versatile, quick edge changes, does everything well, from trees to bumps to carving. Better than the Rossi E88s that preceded them for me.

Last edited:

kingslug

You could try the new Head Kore line..heard they are stiff..my 117's are..but very lighf..the 93 was a top finisher in all the ski tests
I really liked my s3's..and did have them with AT bindings..spent years on them..

Handlebars

Just updated my s3’s to a dps wailer 99 hybrid. Does everything I liked about the s3’s, only better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

I have the Rustler 10's - new this year - as my powder ski. I love them for quick turns in trees, float in powder, and slugging through post pow chopped snow. They do well on groomed fresh packed powder. But again I bought them for these capabilities and ignored their relative weakness in east coast hard groomer snow. For that I use the Volkl RTM 84's which I absolutely love.

pauldotcom

I do wish I tried the Enforcer 93 instead of the 100.. But.. It is still a ski I would only use 30% of the time. I am looking for the other 70%.

Agree, the S3 hated ice.

Anyone try 4FRNT Vandal's? Supposed to have better edge and grip on the hard stuff yet still be soft and fun.

I will check out the DPS, thanks
Paul

pauldotcom

I might try and demo the Rustler 10 this week. You are not the first person to suggest them.

YouTube and reviews are tough - so much bias. I bought into it with the Enforcer purchase.

I'd rather hear from real skiers that ski my trails.

slatham

I might try and demo the Rustler 10 this week. You are not the first person to suggest them.

YouTube and reviews are tough - so much bias. I bought into it with the Enforcer purchase.

If you go with skis with rocker go a bit longer. I typically ski a 172-4 but went 181 with the Rustler 10.

HowieT2

I just got the rustler 11 and love them, fwiw.

tumbler

I do wish I tried the Enforcer 93 instead of the 100.. But.. It is still a ski I would only use 30% of the time. I am looking for the other 70%.

Agree, the S3 hated ice.

Anyone try 4FRNT Vandal's? Supposed to have better edge and grip on the hard stuff yet still be soft and fun.

I will check out the DPS, thanks
Paul

I use the Enforcer 93 100% of the time and it is great.

Bandit2941

I’m on Rustler 9 180 and my wife has the ladies version (Sheeva). We both like the ski a lot. I’m impressed with hard snow performance as well. Better than I expected and they carve great. Fun in the woods, easy to turn very forgiving everywhere.

Thinking about adding an 11 to the quiver for a powder ski. Although my line prophet 115s are still in good shape. Choices!

When I bought the rustler I had planned on getting kore 93s after reading internet reviews. I flexed them once in the shop and noped out of that. They felt too stiff in the tip for my liking. I figured they would be too stiff in the tip and not stiff enough underfoot since there’s no metal. The rustler has a much softer tip and metal under foot. I do still want to get on the kore sometime.

ghughes20

I use the Enforcer 93 100% of the time and it is great.

I use the Enforcer 93s too, 100% of the time. They're not great on extra firm days, or in tight bumps - but serviceable for both. I'm very happy with mine and take them into the woods often. They're great in crud / push piles and powder. A great do it all ski.

pauldotcom

I use the Enforcer 93s too, 100% of the time. They're not great on extra firm days, or in tight bumps - but serviceable for both..

Glades and bumps are my favorites types of terrain lol.. I found that the Enforcer 100 was a terrific, powerful ski, it just wasn't great at anything.. Just kinda did every - OK.

I know I'll have to get a 92ish underfoot stiff ski to enjoy the shit days, but I've used the S3's exclusively for 6 years. If I could improve from them, I'd be all smiles.. I might just go the safe route and grab the Sky7HD.. But I'd rather something with a little more personality.