• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cool Ski Rack

kingslug

Pictures don't do justice to these. They are very well made and I doubt I could make them with just a saw and a drill. Part of my job is assessing construction projects on the billion dollar scale..so these get a thumbs up. The hardware is made well and whether or not it helps the ski..it sure won't hurt them. They do hang for 6 months at a time. I'm happy with them.

Anyone have an opinion on the claim that having the Rocker-style hardware where the skis are hung individually instead of both being suspended between a single pair of dowels helps preserve the original rocker/camber? I've often wondered about that.
Too many years ago, when I was in charge of the equipment for our college ski club, we had a professional style rack that hung the skis by their tips. Typical slot between 2 pieces of wood. Over the summer the brakes on one pair of skis got unhooked and the skis were found still up in the rack, but one was tilted out about 45 degrees (the other tilted only a few inches before hitting other skis and staying put). The one highly tilted ski had developed about a 10 degree bend half way between the binding and the ski tip. Maybe that ski was defective, it did bend in one spot rather than smoothly throughout, but you will never see me leaving my skis in one of those tip only style of ski holders. For a weekend at the condo -- sure, but never over the summer. I just put them on the floor, leaned gently against a wall.

Terry

I built a simple rack with 2x4s on the ceiling of my ell so the skis lay flat. Will hold 8 pairs. No damage done on longtime storage. This time of year the skis I use the most stay in the bed of the truck and the others are stood in a corner.

kingslug

I have a nice big piece of cherry sitting in my basement..might buy the hardware and make a big one to hold all our skis ..the one i built 18 years ago ..isnt up to par
..this new one only holds 4 but its good for the garage..

BenedictGomez

Anyone have an opinion on the claim that having the Rocker-style hardware where the skis are hung individually instead of both being suspended between a single pair of dowels helps preserve the original rocker/camber? I've often wondered about that.

Hanging skis is bad for the skis? I've never heard this.

Domeskier

There are some skis at my parent's house that have been hanging by the tips for probably thirty years. Next time I visit I plan to take a look for science.