• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cool Ski Rack

kingslug

Just got my ski racks from this place: https://rockerskirack.com/

Very well made. Got the mountain one for VT , the regular one for the garage.
Yes they cost a bit more but are hand made. You could also just buy the hardware and mount them on something yourself.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Just got my ski racks from this place: https://rockerskirack.com/

Very well made. Got the mountain one for VT , the regular one for the garage.
Yes they cost a bit more but are hand made. You could also just buy the hardware and mount them on something yourself.

Yea that’s kinda ridiculous that you’re paying almost $100 for the wood it comes on

skiur

Looks like something I could make with a table saw, a drill, and a hammer for $30. The mountain one would require a jig saw as well.

BenedictGomez

Looks like something I could make with a table saw, a drill, and a hammer for $30.

Yeah, the cost of the hardware and $2 in wood from Home Depot. The hardware does look pretty slick though. I'd give the wood a nice walnut stain and then a poly coat rather than leaving it unfinished. I might just do that someday and make one to hang 6 pairs of skis. Right now my skis all sit in a "ski tepee" in the basement.

Glenn

My wife and I can always make dinner at home for cheaper than eating out. But sometimes, we just don't feel like cooking.

In this case, if you don't have the tools, that's another factor.

kingslug

bingo..don't have my shop anymore....or time. I pay people 10's of thousands of dollars at work to do what I could do for a 1/4 of that..
It is what it is.
Oh..and your buying a product with all the labor,advertising,profit in the price..The guys gotta eat.

Last edited:

Ol Dirty Noodle

My wife and I can always make dinner at home for cheaper than eating out. But sometimes, we just don't feel like cooking.

In this case, if you don't have the tools, that's another factor.

Tools? You mean a drill? Honestly for what they’re charging you can buy a cheap drill and saw from harbor freight and a precut to size piece of wood from HD, I get someone’s gotta eat but this markup is ridiculous for what quite frankly apart from the hardware is tantamount to a middle school woodshop project.
You’ll have to forgive me but I’m in construction and also an avid auto mechanic and DIYer in general. No matter how rich or lazy I was I’m still looking at it going “ I could do it 100x better for a 1/5 of the cost”. And as far as time if that took you anymore than 30 min to slap together you’ve got bigger problems in life.

Dickc

20180318_131653.jpgI made this one for my Maine condo. Its still up there even though I sold it. The holders are eleven inches apart, and the posts are 3/4 dowels that are 1 1/2 inches on center apart.

BenedictGomez

View attachment 24582I made this one for my Maine condo. Its still up there even though I sold it. The holders are eleven inches apart, and the posts are 3/4 dowels that are 1 1/2 inches on center apart.

That's looks REALLY nice. In fact, I like this more rustic idea of all wood better than buying metal fixtures. I'm 100% going to make this a little summer project. I already have the pine 2x4 scraps leftover from some large chalkboards I made last year for my wedding.

fiddleski

Anyone have an opinion on the claim that having the Rocker-style hardware where the skis are hung individually instead of both being suspended between a single pair of dowels helps preserve the original rocker/camber? I've often wondered about that.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Anyone have an opinion on the claim that having the Rocker-style hardware where the skis are hung individually instead of both being suspended between a single pair of dowels helps preserve the original rocker/camber? I've often wondered about that.

My skis lay flat, bindings down in my rack as opposed to standing up right in the rack. I haven’t actually put it up in the new house because we have a ton more room and I just use one of the walk in closets as the ski/winter storage room.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I'm no scientist...but I have a strong suspicion that my 180lbs body is putting more wear on my camber/rocker profile than how I store them.

Just my $.02